Philly/Cherry Hill/DE Job Market

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Texas

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Due to family issues, may be out that way in the next couple of years. Have heard not so great things, but almost all was heresay.

What’s the market like generally? Usual rates/hr? Liability climate/lawsuits? How much do you pay in malpractices insurance if you’re an IC?

I realize these are different states too, but just looking for some general info. Couldn’t find too much on the forum from the past and was looking for most up to date info.

Members don't see this ad.

Jobs are generally abundant. IC jobs typically pay the malpractice. The malpractice environment is terrible; one of the worst in the country. Pay is low compared to other places. My general understanding is the SDGs pay very well once you’re a partner. CMGs pay a little better than academics. But some academic jobs have decent pay (relative) and great benefits.

What are the rates like? As you said, “Pay is low” compared to other places.

Members don't see this ad :)
Lots of jobs paying less than 300k per year. I have heard of some democratic groups pulling well over 400k/yr. locums in the area can pay mid 200s/hr and occasionally 300.

Reactions: 1 user
What are the rates like? As you said, “Pay is low” compared to other places.

In the southern NJ area very low rates:

as a non partner SDG $150/hr + benefits,
Usually comes with “sweat equity” 2 years (or more) of more hours, more nights, weekends and holidays. Then if you become partner you are looking at $225/ hour more or less after bonuses

Most CMGs in the area are paying by RVUs. Some sites are straight RVUs and others are a mix of $100/hour base plus RVUs.

The academic sites in the area will pay hourly $150-170

Overall bad pay, bad malpractice climate.

Yeah. Would never move to that area.
Family can come visit YOU, homeboy.

In general, the Philly/NJ/DE area is horrendous from a medmal perspective.

As far as risk goes, if you have to practice in that region, your best bet would either be at a VA or possibly a hospital-employed gig that self-insures and is aggressive about protecting their docs.

The compensation sucks. When I was looking I didn't find anything above 170/hr for hospital employed type stuff.

There are CRNAs at the major academic places in NYC making 150-200K and they’re in a union.