philippines or carribean?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hEaVensEnT

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys

which schools in the carribean are good besides sgu, ross and auc?? what are the advantages/disadvantages of the carribean over the philippines and vice versa?

Members don't see this ad.

this topic has been thoroughly discussed at valuemd...

Members don't see this ad :)
sorry but im new here

Don't sweat it.

Nobody on this forum is going to answer you truthfully about this particular question anyway. And I'm not going to give you the full skinny either. We're a little PC here and it's not going to change today, so you're not going to find a complete answer here.

In short the PI is awesome and affordable

Heavensent said that he was a foreigner who lived in the Philippines for most of his life. He also said in a post that he is not a US citizen.
As far as Caribbean goes, it's an excellent choice if you are a gunner and a US citizen who felt that you could have gotten in a US med school. The good choices there are SGU, Ross, and AUC as they have subsidized loans. With the ongoing credit crisis, private loans are harder to get and many have pulled out of the Caribbean entirely. The ones remaining will extract blood from you (very high interest). It's worse if you are not a US citizen as many lenders are very scared nowadays.
If you have lived most of your life in the Philippines, then any solid, established schools will do but you have to review harder for the USMLE and review on your own.

Heavensent said that he was a foreigner who lived in the Philippines for most of his life. He also said in a post that he is not a US citizen.
As far as Caribbean goes, it's an excellent choice if you are a gunner and a US citizen who felt that you could have gotten in a US med school. The good choices there are SGU, Ross, and AUC as they have subsidized loans. With the ongoing credit crisis, private loans are harder to get and many have pulled out of the Caribbean entirely. The ones remaining will extract blood from you (very high interest). It's worse if you are not a US citizen as many lenders are very scared nowadays.
If you have lived most of your life in the Philippines, then any solid, established schools will do but you have to review harder for the USMLE and review on your own.

sweetheart, im a she and i dont plan on taking any sort of student loans, my dad will be paying for the tuition every sem. given that i was wondering if the PI or carribean is better if my end goal is to practice anywhere in the world? specifically US maybe? :p

sweetheart, im a she and i dont plan on taking any sort of student loans, my dad will be paying for the tuition every sem. given that i was wondering if the PI or carribean is better if my end goal is to practice anywhere in the world? specifically US maybe? :p
Sorry about the gender issue:laugh: Money seems to be not an issue for your as you can afford to pay about $300K for a Caribbean medical education. If you are talking about US, then there are only 4 schools with 50 state recognition (SGU, Ross, Saba, and AUC). It does not give you any advantage anywhere else in the world (unless UK where some SGU and AUC students have rotations).

Sorry about the gender issue:laugh: Money seems to be not an issue for your as you can afford to pay about $300K for a Caribbean medical education. If you are talking about US, then there are only 4 schools with 50 state recognition (SGU, Ross, Saba, and AUC). It does not give you any advantage anywhere else in the world (unless UK where some SGU and AUC students have rotations).

How does it amount to $300K? my cousin pays $40k yearly in SGU...and when ppl say its almost impossible to get into american med schools do they mean the top ones like John Hopkins or ANY med school for tht matter...even the ones that arent on the top?

How does it amount to $300K? my cousin pays $40k yearly in SGU...and when ppl say its almost impossible to get into american med schools do they mean the top ones like John Hopkins or ANY med school for tht matter...even the ones that arent on the top?
SGU raised their fees and the $40K will not cover your living expenses.
Admission to ANY med school is tough. Usually less than 50% get accepted among those who APPLIED. These number does not include all the pre-meds who got weeded out because of difficulty getting high marks on the curve. That's why an International applicant has close to NIL chance of getting into a US med school. Residency, yes but not med school.
For US pre-meds, you need at least 30 on the MCAT, GPA's of 3.6 (especially math and science subjects) and lots of volunteering and interesting EC"s with some recommendations.

SGU raised their fees and the $40K will not cover your living expenses.
Admission to ANY med school is tough. Usually less than 50% get accepted among those who APPLIED. These number does not include all the pre-meds who got weeded out because of difficulty getting high marks on the curve. That's why an International applicant has close to NIL chance of getting into a US med school. Residency, yes but not med school.
For US pre-meds, you need at least 30 on the MCAT, GPA's of 3.6 (especially math and science subjects) and lots of volunteering and interesting EC"s with some recommendations.

wow...that hard huh?? no wonder so many fil ams come here

wow...that hard huh?? no wonder so many fil ams come here
That is the reason it's difficult for a non-US grad to match in a competitive field. Even those fil-am that study in the Philippines have to apply to a lot of places to get a good chance of matching in a desirable hospital. The residency program directors will always rank US grads ahead of everybody else.

Actually, I'm going to med school in PR and all four med schools have USA recognition...because PR is part of the US and all four schools are acreditted by all of the councils in the US.

Hello Matayo!

Which 4 universities are you referring to? Thanks

Puerto Rican schools are considered American schools. You have to speak fluent Spanish to survive there.