Philadelphia-area school applicants 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I finally heard from TJ and Philadelphia today!! I was also waitlisted at TJ, and rejected from Philadelphia. I am going to decline my waitlist spot at TJ and attend Temple. I am glad to have finally heard from everyone. Now I can stop obsessively checking my email.

Don't you think it is weird that you were wait listed at TJ.. With a number 6 ranking in the US, and rejected from phillyU when they are ranked at 100. It seems weird to me that they are ranked so low but you still have a possibility getting into a school much better then theirs. I too committed to Temple!

Members don't see this ad.

TJ waitlisted.

anyone noticed that their title for the e-mail link says "Physical Therapy Waitlist Decision"? Is it just my e-mail or did TJ make a mistake or what?

I noticed this too. I didn't change the subject title, but in my reply email I did ask to verify that I was being placed on the correct waitlist, and I asked a couple other questions about the waitlist process. Maybe I should've simply changed it though...hopefully they won't confuse my email and accidentally put me on the wrong list! Haha

Members don't see this ad :)
TJ waitlisted.

anyone noticed that their title for the e-mail link says "Physical Therapy Waitlist Decision"? Is it just my e-mail or did TJ make a mistake or what?
Bizarre - mine says "Thomas Jefferson University: Application Update." Hmm...

Don't you think it is weird that you were wait listed at TJ.. With a number 6 ranking in the US, and rejected from phillyU when they are ranked at 100. It seems weird to me that they are ranked so low but you still have a possibility getting into a school much better then theirs. I too committed to Temple!
My application was kind of weird. I had a low GPA: 3.18 but I had really good references and personal statement. I didn't do great on the GRE but I aced the MAT. Also, when I was a biology major a really long time ago, I did terribly in science. I got mostly D's. But when I took my 2 anatomy prerequisites recently I got A's. So, science is by far my lowest subject GPA wise. Anyhow, I feel like my application was a bit more subjective than others. I was afraid I was going to have to apply again next year and strengthen my GPA.

Just wait listed for TJ...but I was accepted to Temple so I'm attending their program. Their programs are so identical anyways shouldn't matter much...

For those of you accepted to Temple, did you receive any email or letter, or do you just have to keep checking the TU portal?

My TU portal was updated about 3 days before I received an email.

Ok, thanks for the information. I have a feeling that the program is probably already full, and I have missed out this year since I applied so late, but you never know.

No problem! :) last time I was in touch with them it didn't sound as if the class is full yet. I wouldn't lose hope.

Bizarre - mine says "Thomas Jefferson University: Application Update." Hmm...

Rcludo, "Thomas Jefferson University: Application Update" is the subject line for the email received from Jefferson with the waitlist notification. Within that email, if you click right before where it says " (Please click on the email link to open.)" to reply about whether you wish to remain on the waitlist, thats where it says "physically therapy" instead of "occupational therapy." Hope that makes sense, hah.

I finally heard from TJ and Philadelphia today!! I was also waitlisted at TJ, and rejected from Philadelphia. I am going to decline my waitlist spot at TJ and attend Temple. I am glad to have finally heard from everyone. Now I can stop obsessively checking my email.

I feel the same way! So relieved the waiting game is over and I don't have to worry about it anymore. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
Rcludo, "Thomas Jefferson University: Application Update" is the subject line for the email received from Jefferson with the waitlist notification. Within that email, if you click right before where it says " (Please click on the email link to open.)" to reply about whether you wish to remain on the waitlist, thats where it says "physically therapy" instead of "occupational therapy." Hope that makes sense, hah.

Ahh, got it! Thanks for the clarification - I hadn't clicked on the link yet so I didn't see.

I guess today was waitlist day at Jefferson. I also was waitlisted for the bs/ms program and have no idea how this works, but I keep hearing negative things about it. Is there any way to find out where you are on the waitlist or when they will be making decisions off of that?

what are the negative things that you've heard?

I did my own research on being waitlisted and talked to some counselors and what im getting is to accept to be on the waiting list but to continue on with plan B as if you were rejected, because apparently they will not tell you where you are on the list and you could be called upon two or three weeks before the class starts. All in all, I rejected to be on the list only because I was applying for the bs/ms and there is only 20 seats available. I just felt as though my chances were slim to none. So I just want to keep pushing and get my bachelors done with.

Has anyone heard of/started a facebook page for people going to Thomas Jefferson??

I was accepted to Temple, and I got into my first choice so I will probably go there, but I am still interested in learning about Temple. I've heard some good things about their program, but bad things about the area. Does anyone know more about either?

is anyone else still waiting to hear from phila u?

right here. i'm waiting.
but didn't someone in this thread said the spots are filled already?

personally don't have much hope w/ phil U.

anyone have some news to share?

right here. i'm waiting.
but didn't someone in this thread said the spots are filled already?

personally don't have much hope w/ phil U.

anyone have some news to share?
someone said that they received an email saying that acceptances were offered to exceptional candidates and that they could expect to hear if they made the wait list or not by mid feb, and I think they received that in mid jan? but then someone did receive an acceptance after that. I applied almost 7 months ago now, with rolling admissions they should let you know either way much sooner.

someone said that they received an email saying that acceptances were offered to exceptional candidates and that they could expect to hear if they made the wait list or not by mid feb, and I think they received that in mid jan? but then someone did receive an acceptance after that. I applied almost 7 months ago now, with rolling admissions they should let you know either way much sooner.

Yes I posted that. This is what they sent me: "We have received more than 600 applications since August when OTCAS opened up and have sent out acceptance letters to excellent candidates. You will receive an email in mid-February letting you know if you have made the wait list or not."

Well... it is now February 19th........

I'm also still waiting on USciences. They told me 3-4 weeks. This past Monday marked 3 weeks. Has anyone contacted Philly U and heard any updated info?

I was accepted to Temple, and I got into my first choice so I will probably go there, but I am still interested in learning about Temple. I've heard some good things about their program, but bad things about the area. Does anyone know more about either?

I went to Temple for my undergrad. I didn't get into Temple's grad program but I would have loved to go had I gotten in. Honestly, the area is not good. Going to school in the city though, I am used to it. I didn't live on campus because I live fairly close (15 min outside of philly). So I wouldn't have lived in the city for grad school either. Getting TU Alerts (texts/emails) about shootings/robberies/police activity was not uncommon. (These incidents almost always involved non-students...but they made us aware nonetheless). I remember a friend from West Chester University freaking out because he received a text about a shooting..... sadly as a Temple student, it is nothing new.

My cousin lived just off of campus in an area where many college students resided. The girls who lived next to her were tied up and robbed when robbers entered their house. My cousin's car was broken into and the stereo was stolen. It is not a place where you want to walk around late at night and definitely not alone. To be completely honest, I am not totally comfortable with the area. I always made sure to be aware of my surroundings and walk with someone if going on the outskirts of campus. I guess it depends where you are coming from, what you're used to. It might be a total culture shock to you, especially if you've never attended school in the city/lived there. The program is really good, the area is not so good. That's the way it is in a good part of the city though. On one street it can be nice and full of professionals and one street over it is shady.

If I were you and got accepted to Temple, I'd definitely go. It's a great program, you just have to be careful and aware of your surroundings.

Reactions: 1 user
Got my acceptance to Jefferson's BS/MS Program today! So excited!!

I emailed Philly U yesterday asking when I would hear a response and they said it will probably be a few more weeks for decisions regarding the wait-list. FEW MORE WEEKS? I'm annoyed!

I emailed Philly U yesterday asking when I would hear a response and they said it will probably be a few more weeks for decisions regarding the wait-list. FEW MORE WEEKS? I'm annoyed!

it might be b/c they have high turnover rate. ......
just my guess.

So I visited Temple recently, and I just want to share about my experience! My background: I have grown up in the suburbs. I have never lived in the city, I've only ever visited NYC. When I got to Philly, I started by walking around Jefferson's campus in Center City. Jeff's campus is nice, but it was not what I was expecting. I felt generally safer on the side streets of NYC than in Center City. It was just a bad gut feeling for me. As with any city, one street would be full of cool shops and then the next would be run down and unsafe. I got yelled at on a nicer street by a group of guys talking about "pimping out their women." So..yeah. I think it takes a lot of getting used to is all.
I then took the SEPTA to Temple's Health Sciences campus. I didn't mind the SEPTA and it was only a 15 min ride to Temple. Very easy. However, once I got to Temple's Health Science campus..I just couldn't picture myself there. While I was on the tour, people were coming up to us asking for money or trying to sell us stuff. There were a lot of sketchy people just lingering on the campus. I felt generally unsafe. As for the "strong police presence patrolling the area," I did not see it. In addition, when I was shown the OT classrooms, I wasn't too impressed. They aren't very modern.
However, the only thing that saved the school for me was the students. They were all so nice! I got to meet with a couple of them and they all seemed to really enjoy the program. Most came from the suburbs too and felt comfortable after getting used to the area. They explained that when classes change, the area is filled with students and it feels safe. So that is good.
However, I ultimately decided that if I couldn't feel safe on my campus, walking alone in the daylight, it simply was not a place that I wanted to attend. I'd strongly recommend anyone considering Temple to visit to see if it is right for you. You can get this info from the forums and online, but you really cannot get a true feel for it until you see it. I went in with a really open mind bc it was the cheapest and closest program to my home, but I would rather spend the money to go elsewhere.
If anyone has any questions that you'd like to ask since I've visited and asked a lot of questions myself, I'd be happy to answer them!
Side note: if you are interested in pediatrics, a good number of professors specialize in this area.

Last edited:
@alg5443

Thank you for all of the useful information. I have visited NY as well, but not many other big cities. I knew that if I was accepted out of state it would be a bit of a culture shock, but I knew it would be something I could handle. However, I don't think I want to be afraid and uncomfortable in my surroundings. Your review of the area certainly will make it much easier if I receive a rejection from Temple.

Btw, where did you decide to attend? Congratulations on the acceptance!

@TexasOT2be

No problem! :) Like you said, the area is definitely something that you can get used to and handle with time. Also, I'm sure there are many opportunities in the city, which is awesome. I just didn't feel comfortable, which was a let down for me because like I said it was cheapest and closest to home. If you're accepted and strongly consider it, try to visit if at all possible! And thanks! I have decided to attend PITT.

this is rediculous. rolling admissions- look at my application, make a decision, send the decision.

So I visited Temple recently, and I just want to share about my experience! My background: I have grown up in the suburbs. I have never lived in the city, I've only ever visited NYC. When I got to Philly, I started by walking around Jefferson's campus in Center City. Jeff's campus is nice, but it was not what I was expecting. I felt generally safer on the side streets of NYC than in Center City. It was just a bad gut feeling for me. As with any city, one street would be full of cool shops and then the next would be run down and unsafe. I got yelled at on a nicer street by a group of guys talking about "pimping out their women." So..yeah. I think it takes a lot of getting used to is all.
I then took the SEPTA to Temple's Health Sciences campus. I didn't mind the SEPTA and it was only a 15 min ride to Temple. Very easy. However, once I got to Temple's Health Science campus..I just couldn't picture myself there. While I was on the tour, people were coming up to us asking for money or trying to sell us stuff. There were a lot of sketchy people just lingering on the campus. I felt generally unsafe. As for the "strong police presence patrolling the area," I did not see it. In addition, when I was shown the OT classrooms, I wasn't too impressed. They aren't very modern.
However, the only thing that saved the school for me was the students. They were all so nice! I got to meet with a couple of them and they all seemed to really enjoy the program. Most came from the suburbs too and felt comfortable after getting used to the area. They explained that when classes change, the area is filled with students and it feels safe. So that is good.
However, I ultimately decided that if I couldn't feel safe on my campus, walking alone in the daylight, it simply was not a place that I wanted to attend. I'd strongly recommend anyone considering Temple to visit to see if it is right for you. You can get this info from the forums and online, but you really cannot get a true feel for it until you see it. I went in with a really open mind bc it was the cheapest and closest program to my home, but I would rather spend the money to go elsewhere.
If anyone has any questions that you'd like to ask since I've visited and asked a lot of questions myself, I'd be happy to answer them!
Side note: if you are interested in pediatrics, a good number of professors specialize in this area.

alg5443 visiting was the right idea! I went to college in Philly. T.Jefferson is in the ‘gay district’ with shops and bars and there is a lot of action there. However, Temple is in a rough neighborhood. The kind of neighborhood you don’t want to walk around in, and you only want to stay on campus. It is unfortunate since it is a good school. Good luck at PITT!

got my rejection from phila u today. I'm officially out for this career. good luck to those admitted!!! congratulations and enjoy! :)

same I was rejected too!
this is frustrating because I was in their wait list last year and applied extremely early this round, only to get rejected. my app improved bc I had an additional A ( my a&p II) and more volunteer time. nothing like someone waiting 7 months to let you know you've been rejected! oh well. going to look into nursing programs.

this is frustrating because I was in their wait list last year and applied extremely early this round, only to get rejected. my app improved bc I had an additional A ( my a&p II) and more volunteer time. nothing like someone waiting 7 months to let you know you've been rejected! oh well. going to look into nursing programs.

did you ask them why you were rejected last year? or maybe this year?

Weird things happen, I tell ya. I had a friend who applied to all low-ranked OT schools one year except for Columbia. She got rejected at every single low-ranked school, and was waitlisted to Columbia. The second year around, she applied to all really well-estbalished programs with amazing reputations and got into nearly all of them--but still got rejected from a low-ranked public OT program in NJ.

Also, I got rejected from Temple but accepted to Thomas Jefferson. Both are rolling, and I applied to Jeff AFTER Temple in like late November.... That seems weird to me also.

got my rejection from phila u today. I'm officially out for this career. good luck to those admitted!!! congratulations and enjoy! :)

Sorry to hear :/
When did you apply? I am still waiting to hear from Philly U, it is kind of annoying. I don't understand what is taking so long.

Anyone hear anything from Usciences?
No. Last month Aimee said I would hear a response by mid February. But I still haven't. So I emailed her again MOnday. It said she was out of the office until 2/25, still no response though.

No. Last month Aimee said I would hear a response by mid February. But I still haven't. So I emailed her again MOnday. It said she was out of the office until 2/25, still no response though.
Do you mind giving me her email? I would love to ask her as well.

I submitted my otcas app on July 25th, verified August 1st, I think it was Sept 20th when I got confirmation from Philly u. I haven't called to ask anything, figured their minds are made up, my undergrad gpa wasbelow 3.0 so that's it. was hoping all myother strengths, work experience and good mat score would counter balance. it's just too competitive now.

Hey Katie 526, about a month ago I was called about my Usciences acceptance. However, I am attending another school that is financially affordable for me. I hope that helps you out!!!

Hey Applicant14, I hope everything works out! I applied to 13 schools. So far:
2 I have been accepted
1 I declined an interview
1 I was wait listed
4 denied
5 I still need to hear from.
The places I was denied I was hoping to get into, and everything has been different than I expected. At first I thought I went a little overboard, but seeing how tight the competition is, I am glad I applied to so many. Nursing is a great field. You have so many options and can wiggle your way around healthcare unlike many other professions. I’m not sure where you work or what you have seen, but there are many avenues. Have you looked into being a COTA? The tuition would be cheaper, and you are probably already set to apply. I don’t think you need as many pre-reqs. Usually you can apply year round. Although you would technically work under OTR/L’s, the COTA’s I work with have much independence and run their own show. If not COTA, maybe PTA?
Also…. I believe St. Augustine (3 different campus’s in USA) starts a few times throughout the year. That might be an OT program to look into since they are constantly accepting students throughout the year. And if you enjoy the cognitive aspect of OT, Speech Tx might be an avenue? At one point when I was looking into ST ( i have my BS in Health Science) it seemed like it would take at least 3 years. Most schools want you to do their specific pre-reqs then you apply to the ST program.
I hope everything works out. This whole process is stressful, and it feels like it keeps dragging on.

I received an acceptance from USciences yesterday. It was via phone and Aimee said I would get the acceptance package the end of this week, early next week. Has anyone else been accepted?

I feel like they are picking and choosing which apps to accept/deny regardless of when they were received. It seems like they are disregarding the whole rolling admissions thing and jumping around from app to app based on what I've heard from others on when they applied/heard back/heard nothing.

I feel like they are picking and choosing which apps to accept/deny regardless of when they were received. It seems like they are disregarding the whole rolling admissions thing and jumping around from app to app based on what I've heard from others on when they applied/heard back/heard nothing.
I feel the same way! I don't see how you can make a wait list before you're done sending out ur initial acceptances