Philadelphia-area school applicants 2014

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi mbc416, congratulations on getting into Salus! Would you mind sharing your stats? Thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

thanks!!
Undergrad: Temple
Major: Social work
GPA: 3.54
GRE: 160 V - 149 Q- 5.5 A&W
observation: 50 hours

Applied :Temple, Jeff, Philly U, Usciences & Salus
Denied: Temple
Accepted: Salus
have not heard from anyone else -- my quant score was pretty low so I was really nervous about getting in anywhere.

Did you hear from Don at TJU by email, phone or did you call him?

Members don't see this ad :)
congrats mcb416!! I have my interview at Salus on Jan 22nd. Super excited

Also, regarding Temple, when did you submit your application?

I was rejected from UPitt. Waiting on TU, Salus (interview), and Jeff

Last edited:
congrats mcb416!! I have my interview at Salus on Jan 22nd. Super excited

Also, regarding Temple, when did you submit your application?

I was rejected from UPitt. Waiting on TU, Salus (interview), and Jeff

Thanks! Congrats on the interview! I really got a good feeling from the interview at Salus- its a small school which i actually like, and its all medical sciences so they have alot of interdisciplinary work with optometry & audiology students and faculty. also, its less expensive then the others.

I submitted my application to Temple in the end of October, and heard back in the beginning of December.

Reactions: 1 user
Congrats mbc416 on the Salus acceptance, I just noticed you were a Temple undergrad.. kind of a shock they rejected you.. your stats are really good... maybe they have a bias against their own. I can't believe we have to keep waiting on Jefferson.. I was really hoping to hear good news. I didn't apply to Temple or Salus so really hoping for Jefferson

Congrats mbc416 on the Salus acceptance, I just noticed you were a Temple undergrad.. kind of a shock they rejected you.. your stats are really good... maybe they have a bias against their own. I can't believe we have to keep waiting on Jefferson.. I was really hoping to hear good news. I didn't apply to Temple or Salus so really hoping for Jefferson

Yeah I was pretty disappointed when i got the rejection from Temple. It was weird because they rejected me before i even had my most recent official GRE scores sent in. I took the test in January of 2013 thinking i wanted to go for school counseling and had my scores sent to Temple then,and thats what they made their decision with this time around. i tried to contact them about it but they couldnt do much for me.
but i know, its pretty annoying about Jefferson. when did you submit your application? it may be different for you if you got your app in sooner than me- they have rolling admissions and I had to retake my GRE's in december bc I didnt like my quant score, so they just recieved my scores like 2 weeks ago.

I was just accepted to Temple yesterday. Anyone else hear from them?

Reactions: 1 users
Congrats dfishy91! :) And no news from temple for me either!

Hey did anyone that got into Salus receive a provisional acceptance and have to get an hours sheet signed and notarized? Just curious.

Members don't see this ad :)
On January 13, 2014 I logged into my Temple University application to find that the decision has been made and is now viewable on the processed application. I was pleasantly surprised to find an acceptance from the school : )

On January 13, 2014 I logged into my Temple University application to find that the decision has been made and is now viewable on the processed application. I was pleasantly surprised to find an acceptance from the school : )

Congrats! I was just accepted a few days ago... Still didn't receive an email yet though.. Just notified on the processed application under status. It says "university acceptance" but my mother for some reason wants me to call to make sure it's not provisional. Wouldn't it be written on the website if it was provisional?

And yes, when I was accepted to Salus, I had to get my hours notarized.

dfishy91 and ILUVOT, when did you all get your temple application in?
I am still waiting on them, and completed my TU application Nov 11.

I got an acceptance email from Thomas Jefferson this morning. I'm super stoked!

Reactions: 2 users
Congrats! I was just accepted a few days ago... Still didn't receive an email yet though.. Just notified on the processed application under status. It says "university acceptance" but my mother for some reason wants me to call to make sure it's not provisional. Wouldn't it be written on the website if it was provisional?

And yes, when I was accepted to Salus, I had to get my hours notarized.

To those of you who were accepted to Salus, how long did they give you to decide? Did any of you receive or ask for an extension while waiting on other schools? Just curious. Thanks!

To those of you who were accepted to Salus, how long did they give you to decide? Did any of you receive or ask for an extension while waiting on other schools? Just curious. Thanks!

They said 14 days after the letter was recieved. i didnt ask for an extension though so im not sure about that.

Congrats!!! what were your stats if you dont mind me asking?

Thanks!

Overall GPA: 3.54
Prereq GPA: 3.74
GRE: 162 V, 154 Q, 4.5 W
OT Work/Volunteer Experience: 300+ hours to date working as a rehab aide in an orthopedic center, 40 hours volunteering in general outpatient rehab, 20 hours volunteering in a pediatric outpatient clinic, 10 hours volunteering in a sub-acute inpatient center.

Thanks!

Overall GPA: 3.54
Prereq GPA: 3.74
GRE: 162 V, 154 Q, 4.5 W
OT Work/Volunteer Experience: 300+ hours to date working as a rehab aide in an orthopedic center, 40 hours volunteering in general outpatient rehab, 20 hours volunteering in a pediatric outpatient clinic, 10 hours volunteering in a sub-acute inpatient center.

Congratulations!! When did you apply? I'm waiting to hear from them but didn't apply till last month, so I anticipate waiting for awhile.

Congratulations!! When did you apply? I'm waiting to hear from them but didn't apply till last month, so I anticipate waiting for awhile.

Thanks again! I applied back in October. Yeah I'll bet they probably haven't gotten to your app yet. Good luck!

I got an acceptance email from Thomas Jefferson this morning. I'm super stoked!

That's fantastic, congratulations! What's the deposit/how long do you have to respond, if you don't mind me asking?

That's fantastic, congratulations! What's the deposit/how long do you have to respond, if you don't mind me asking?
First off, congrats! that's AWESOME, and definitely gives the rest of us who are waiting, some hope that the process is moving forward!
Second, when did you get the email saying that your application was complete?

Is there a way to check the status of your app for Philly U and University of the Sciences? You know how with temple you can log on and see if you have been rejected or accepted?

Also how long did people wait after their OTCAS app was verified before they received a decision? Were they mailed or emailed?

Thank you! The deposit's $300 and it's due 1 month from the date of acceptance.

First off, congrats! that's AWESOME, and definitely gives the rest of us who are waiting, some hope that the process is moving forward!
Second, when did you get the email saying that your application was complete?

Thank you! I don't remember the exact date I got the completion email, but I wanna say it was in late October/early November.

thanks!!
Undergrad: Temple
Major: Social work
GPA: 3.54
GRE: 160 V - 149 Q- 5.5 A&W
observation: 50 hours

Applied :Temple, Jeff, Philly U, Usciences & Salus
Denied: Temple
Accepted: Salus
have not heard from anyone else -- my quant score was pretty low so I was really nervous about getting in anywhere.

mbc416,
I have a low quant score also :(, although I've only applied to NC programs with the exception of one out of state school. Because I'm a resident.
Whew there is still hope.
Congrats

Last edited:
mbc416,
I have a low quant score also :(, although I've only applied to NC programs with the exception of one out of state school. Because I'm a resident.
Whew there is still hope.
Congrats

What were your stats? I think having to take the GRE shouldnt be a part of getting in to grad school -- we just completed four years of undergrad! Some schools dont require the GRE if you have graduated w/ your bachelors within the past 5 years- i think thats how it should be for every school ( in a perfect world!) Either way, dont let the low quant score get you too down. I'm sure you have other things going for you that will balance that out. There is definitely hope!

Hi guys! I just got accepted to temple this morning! :) Does anyone have "award letter" on their homepage? I mean it said it currently could not be displayed, but I'm wondering if this is the same for everyone?

Hi guys! I just got accepted to temple this morning! :) Does anyone have "award letter" on their homepage? I mean it said it currently could not be displayed, but I'm wondering if this is the same for everyone?

congratz!!
i didn't know schools send out acceptance letters on Saturdays.:wideyed:

Thanks! :) and yeah I know! It definitely was today too because I checked it yesterday after 5 and it wasn't updated to anything new.

Thanks! :) My supplemental app was complete on September 27th and I received an email that my status was updated to complete/ready for review on October 9th.

has anyone talked to any representatives from Philly U or TJU in regards to decisions? I know Don told people mid to late January, just wondering if anyone had heard any updates. This wait has been agonizing- I was otcas verified August 1st!

No news here from TJU. I'm hoping we will hear back sometime within the next two weeks. I don't want to bother Don anymore because it is a really busy time for them. One school told me that they were sorry for being so late on responses because they were receiving 500 emails a day.:eek: I couldn't imagine! So I'm just sitting back and trying to enjoy the wait..haha. Impossible I know but hopefully we'll hear soon! :)

No news here from TJU. I'm hoping we will hear back sometime within the next two weeks. I don't want to bother Don anymore because it is a really busy time for them. One school told me that they were sorry for being so late on responses because they were receiving 500 emails a day.:eek: I couldn't imagine! So I'm just sitting back and trying to enjoy the wait..haha. Impossible I know but hopefully we'll hear soon! :)
500- yikes! i that's why I figured I'd ask you guys. looks like I'll be checking my email every 15 minutes for another few weeks, hopefully less!

has anyone heard from USciences either? Anxious and curious!! :)

has anyone talked to any representatives from Philly U or TJU in regards to decisions? I know Don told people mid to late January, just wondering if anyone had heard any updates. This wait has been agonizing- I was otcas verified August 1st!

applicant14, have you heard back from Temple yet? I agree the wait is agonizing...my app was verified early too and I still haven't heard back from any of 5 schools. Really thought I'd have a decision from at least one by now, one way or the other. Assuming I'm probably waitlisted at Temple at this point...

Last edited:
lcs2074 many people have told me that Temple notifies people in a really random fashion and I am pretty sure there is a hold status for the TU portal if you were put on hold. Keep positive, no news is definitely still good news and probably means your app is still under review! Crossing my fingers for you! If you are concerned, I'd say just email or better yet call them and ask about your status! My last email to temple took awhile to get a response so I'm sure giving a call would be better and couldn't hurt!

lcs2074 many people have told me that Temple notifies people in a really random fashion and I am pretty sure there is a hold status for the TU portal if you were put on hold. Keep positive, no news is definitely still good news and probably means your app is still under review! Crossing my fingers for you! If you are concerned, I'd say just email or better yet call them and ask about your status! My last email to temple took awhile to get a response so I'm sure giving a call would be better and couldn't hurt!

Thanks for the encouragement alg5443! Do you mean you know people for whom it says "on hold" for the application status on tuportal? Mine just says "complete/ready for review" still. I exchanged emails with them when my tuportal info changed over the holidays, and they just said my application was still under consideration. I know they're really busy, so I don't want to bug them about it, and doubt they would tell me anything more than that anyway. Just seems like a lot of people have received acceptances or rejections already, and I did have my app in early so they've definitely reviewed it by now.

Salus acknowledged they made an error with my app that's delayed a decision there, and my OTCAS AU update has been delayed due to an error on their site, so I'm just frustrated and discouraged all around. Its painful to think about going through all this again another year, but I will if I have to. Hopefully the wait will be over for all of us soon.

Last edited:
I don't know anyone that it says hold for specifically but I remember reading something about the TU portal before online and it said there were possible statuses like acceptance, rejection, hold, ect. I can't fully remember what it said, but I seeing that before when I felt like I was on hold. Also there's this, http://talk.collegeconfidential.com...08-hold-accepted-rejected-please-help-me.html I know that's for an undergrad app but I'd assume that it would be the same since it's all under the TU portal. Either way, whether they use the hold status or not, I wouldn't lose hope! Like I said many people have told me they inform applicants in a random, weird way. And like you said, you applied early and if you don't have a rejection, they must like your app, and there is hope!

And I'm sorry about Salus! Hopefully you will get your decisions soon!

I was rejected from Temple. I earned my undergrad there and I've heard they like to diversify and don't typically accept alums. I hope that was the reason but I'm not horribly hopeful for the other schools, but I'm ready for some closure one way or another.

Last edited:
500- yikes! i that's why I figured I'd ask you guys. looks like I'll be checking my email every 15 minutes for another few weeks, hopefully less!

I'm glad I'm not the only one obsessively checking my email a zillion times a day!

I had actually emailed Don about a week ago with a quick question regarding something else (not application status) and he happened to mention that decisions would be made soon. So of course, I'm freaking out a bit more. Crossing fingers we all will hear something soon!

Reactions: 1 users
Hi everyone! I had a question and was wondering if anyone could give me any insight. I've applied for Jefferson's BS/MS OT program and had an interview with them yesterday. I think it went pretty well! I know the program is small, so does that mean if they had me interview that I have a decent shot? I'm really nervous because I still do not have an observation hours. They knew this before asking me in for the interview, and I am in the process of getting set up to acquire them, but Don said they will send out decisions in three weeks and I know I will not have the required 50 hours by then. Any thoughts?

What were your stats? I think having to take the GRE shouldnt be a part of getting in to grad school -- we just completed four years of undergrad! Some schools dont require the GRE if you have graduated w/ your bachelors within the past 5 years- i think thats how it should be for every school ( in a perfect world!) Either way, dont let the low quant score get you too down. I'm sure you have other things goin
What were your stats? I think having to take the GRE shouldnt be a part of getting in to grad school -- we just completed four years of undergrad! Some schools dont require the GRE if you have graduated w/ your bachelors within the past 5 years- i think thats how it should be for every school ( in a perfect world!) Either way, dont let the low quant score get you too down. I'm sure you have other things going for you that will balance that out. There is definitely hope!

mbc416-thanks. I'll post my stats in the main thread.

Last edited: