PhD in Counseling Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pacman8794

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I was hoping you guys could shed some light on this for me. I'm applying for Masters in Counseling programs so I can become an LMHC/LPC, but I recently came across something interesting and I have no idea about it. I noticed some schools offer a PhD in Counseling program and the ones that I looked up had a Masters in Counseling as a pre-requisite for applying. So, I was just wondering if it's possible to apply anywhere for a PhD in Counseling w/o having the Masters and also what the PhD in Counseling courses would be like? Another thing I was wondering about is after I acquire the Masters there seems to be another program I could get into called the Certificate of Advanced Study in Counseling; what's the deal w/ that? I might want to get more training in counseling after I get my Masters so I just want to know my options plus if I don't need a Masters before going for the PhD in Counseling then I need to know now b/c I'm sending my applications out soon and as you all know they are expensive as hell, lol. Thanks for your time guys.

Members don't see this ad.

Hey everyone, I was hoping you guys could shed some light on this for me. I'm applying for Masters in Counseling programs so I can become an LMHC/LPC, but I recently came across something interesting and I have no idea about it. I noticed some schools offer a PhD in Counseling program and the ones that I looked up had a Masters in Counseling as a pre-requisite for applying. So, I was just wondering if it's possible to apply anywhere for a PhD in Counseling w/o having the Masters and also what the PhD in Counseling courses would be like? Another thing I was wondering about is after I acquire the Masters there seems to be another program I could get into called the Certificate of Advanced Study in Counseling; what's the deal w/ that? I might want to get more training in counseling after I get my Masters so I just want to know my options plus if I don't need a Masters before going for the PhD in Counseling then I need to know now b/c I'm sending my applications out soon and as you all know they are expensive as hell, lol. Thanks for your time guys.

Clarification: PhD in *Counseling* or *Counseling Psychology*? There's a difference.

The U of Minnesota has a Counseling Ph.D program and they take applications from people without their M.A

Members don't see this ad :)
I hope it is ok to hijack this thread for my own question. I am currently in the process of choosing which PhD programs I want to apply to. My future plans are heavily geared towards conducting research (i.e. holding an appointment as professor at a University). I have found some professors whose research interests match really well with mine, however, they are based in a PhD counseling programs. So given what my future aspirations are do you think it's a good idea to even apply for a PhD in counseling psych?

I hope it is ok to hijack this thread for my own question. I am currently in the process of choosing which PhD programs I want to apply to. My future plans are heavily geared towards conducting research (i.e. holding an appointment as professor at a University). I have found some professors whose research interests match really well with mine, however, they are based in a PhD counseling programs. So given what my future aspirations are do you think it's a good idea to even apply for a PhD in counseling psych?
I am in a counseling psych program and many graduates from here are in research and academic positions in hospitals and in counseling psych departments. I'm not 100% sure on this, but I believe that you would be looking at positions within counseling psych departments as faculty vs. clinical psych because that seems to be where most of the academics end up.

Unlike Clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs, most (not all) Counseling Psychology Ph.D. & Psy.D. programs require a Master's degree. There are not many out there that accept applications from students with only a B.A.

Okay: Licensure is extremely confusing. Many Master's programs are 48-Credit hours. If you plan on obtaining initial licensure as a Licensed Professional Counselor (LPC), and this dependso n the state you live in, 48 credit-hours are required. However, 60-Credit hours are required to become a Licensed Mental Health Counselor (LMHC), *if* the state you are in uses the LMHC. Some states use LMHC, some use LPC. So, it's important to investigate what state you plan to work in. So...a CAGS (Certificate of Advanced Graduate Study), CAS (Certificate of Advanced Study), or 6th-Year Diploma (All three degrees are the same--it's just that universities give them these three different titles) all you to obtain the 60-credits you will need for the LMHC. In states with LMHC licensure you will often see 30-credit Master's programs and 30-Credit CAGS/CAS/6th-Year Diploma programs.

Counseling Psychology doctoral programs (moreso at the Ph.D. level) will often take a goof amount of credits if you choose to go the Master's/CAGS route. I've seen anywhere from 21-48 credit hours accepted for transfer based on the schools' websites.

I HOPE this helps, I know it's complicated but definitely do your homework on what the Ph.D./Psy.D. programs require for admission as well as which license your state uses (which will impact whether or not you do the CAGS).

Jon
PS--If your ultimate goal is Ph.D., the CAGS would become somewhat unnecessary if a Master's is all that's required.

Unlike Clinical Psychology Ph.D. programs, most (not all) Counseling Psychology Ph.D. & Psy.D. programs require a Master's degree. There are not many out there that accept applications from students with only a B.A.

This was not my experience in applying to clinical and counseling psych PhD programs.

Counseling Psychology doctoral programs (moreso at the Ph.D. level) will often take a goof amount of credits if you choose to go the Master's/CAGS route. I've seen anywhere from 21-48 credit hours accepted for transfer based on the schools' websites.
Again, not my experience at my counseling psych program. People with masters credits get maybe a semester's worth of courses waived. I'm not saying you're wrong for a lot of programs, I'm sure this is the case in many places. But there's way too much variability between programs and situations (e.g. does your MA multiculturalism cover the ageism, heterocentrism, sizeism, etc that were specifically built into your PhD program's multiculturalism class? If not, don't count on it getting waived just because it has the same title) to make general comments.

Last edited:
The U of Minnesota has a Counseling Ph.D program and they take applications from people without their M.A

Texas A&M, ASU, OSU and many other good programs that will accept only a B.A. for entrance as well. I think that while there may be some programs that accept only after a masters there are many that don't require it either.

Mark

PS - I interviewed at all the above for counseling psychology Ph.D. programs with only a B.A. and was accepted at A&M as well... but didn't go there. I almost did... almost (in some ways I wish I could attend more than one program at a time!)

Texas A&M, ASU, OSU and many other good programs that will accept only a B.A. for entrance as well. I think that while there may be some programs that accept only after a masters there are many that don't require it either.

Mark

PS - I interviewed at all the above for counseling psychology Ph.D. programs with only a B.A. and was accepted at A&M as well... but didn't go there. I almost did... almost (in some ways I wish I could attend more than one program at a time!)

For some reason Mark, I can picture you as an aggie :D

For some reason Mark, I can picture you as an aggie :D

I was actually very excited about the prospect of being an Aggie. I felt bad when I turned it down because I had Aggie friends who wanted me to be an Aggie and my girl is a Longhorn, talk about a house divided, LOL. USUHS was too good of a program to pass on though.

Mark

Clarification: PhD in *Counseling* or *Counseling Psychology*? There's a difference.

I was referring to a PhD in Counseling, not Counseling Psych. I checked out a few more schools and I think to get a counseling PhD you need the Masters first

Last edited:
What's the difference between a Ph.D in Counseling vs. Ph.D in Counseling Psychology?

Yup, important important difference.... Counseling Psychologists are psychologists. We're trained as psychologists, typically in the Boulder model, we do internship, we can take the eppp, we can get licensed as psychologists. "Counseling" PhDs are much more amorphous and you have to watch out for crazy programs. I'm not 100% clear on the licensing side of things, but my impression is that there can be more obstacles.

If you want to work primarily as a clinician or therapist there are better routes.

Thanks. I had no idea there was a difference, I just assumed both counseling and counseling psychology programs were license eligible.

they are both license eligible, but the PhD in counseling is a little more complex b/c it requires a Masters first, or so I have seen for every program offering it.

they are both license eligible, but the PhD in counseling is a little more complex b/c it requires a Masters first, or so I have seen for every program offering it.

Are you being licensed as a PhD in something, or as a LMHC? Because if they require a Masters first, and the license is as a LMHC, isn't the PhD worth about 0?

Are you being licensed as a PhD in something, or as a LMHC? Because if they require a Masters first, and the license is as a LMHC, isn't the PhD worth about 0?

i'm going for LMHC, but i'm considering the PhD when i get my masters b/c i figure it can never be bad with the more education one has. However, i'm not sure i'd be up to going to school again for another 2-3 yrs after the masters. If anything, i'v been thinking more along the lines of the CAGS after the masters as I found out it's only a year and like i said before, the more education the better.

i'm going for LMHC, but i'm considering the PhD when i get my masters b/c i figure it can never be bad with the more education one has. However, i'm not sure i'd be up to going to school again for another 2-3 yrs after the masters. If anything, i'v been thinking more along the lines of the CAGS after the masters as I found out it's only a year and like i said before, the more education the better.

So, if I'm understanding you, the PhD confers no license eligiblity beyond the LMHC, which you could have with the masters alone. This indicates to me that the "Counseling PhD" may not be a wise career path, since it doesn't apparently offer any additional benefits and probably costs a fair bit. So, if you're looking at PhD programs, why not just go for the PhD in Counseling Psych or Clinical Psych, which would make you eligible for being licensed as a psychologist?

As far as "the more school the better".... well, I'm gonna have to disagree. Some of those "Counseling PhD" programs seem kinda shady (online stuff and such). Lots of poor education isn't good. If you want to be a better therapist you might just attend some institutes or something, if you don't just go the Clinical/Counseling psych PhD route.

Just my two cents.

The one thing that counseling phd programs are good for is if you want to be a professor in a counselor training program. There are a few aspects that require a phd specifically in counseling, such as to be the advisor to an honors program in a counselor training program. My program lost its honors program because there is no faculty member with that specific qualification. Plenty with a PhD in something related - marriage and family therapy (again, that PhD is mostly good for educating marriage and family therapists), and several psychologists on faculty, and they can teach, but can't advise an honors society. Dumb, huh?

Mark

How was the OSU interview? I will be applying to their program in like 2 years. :scared:
I know, 2 years... nothing to worry about now. I wish I could tell my anxiety that.

So I think that some of the stuff on here has really confused me. I am going to be done with my LMHC master's at the end of next year and I am already thinking about where and what to apply afterwards (since it will be a busy time for me with comps and licensure to worry about).

Already in my 2nd year, I have never even heard of a difference b/w counseling phD and counseling psych phD so I quickly ran to my school's website to make sure mine is a counseling psych PhD since I don't want the crummier sounding PhD. But honestly, I have never heard of JUST counseling PhD's. Aren't they all Counseling Psych PhD's?

Both Counseling PhD's and Counseling Psych PhD's can be in either/or Departments of Education and Departments of Psychology. I am guessing that is why some of the PhD's are referred to as just Counseling PhD's because they may be in the Dept of Education. However... my program in particular is through the Dept of Ed and I am doing the Master's now... but lo and behold, it is in fact a Counseling Psychology PhD.

And Counseling Psychologists can have the choice whether they want to do the Master's first or as a whole. At my school, they only accept very few for the PhD without a Master's first. (My school picked only 2 out-of-staters compared to the approximate 30 accepted in the Master's program).

Now about the licensure and what getting a PhD means for you beyond that. I am not 100% sure about it all, but I do know that in order to become a licensed LMHC you need many hours of supervised hours working clinically with clients first. So if you don't do this before you start your PhD (meaning a 2-5 year break between) then you won't get that licensure, but instead will just get the APA accredited PhD title.

Now the difference between Counseling and Clinical Psych is much harder. I have talked to endless students in both programs since I work with the Dept of Psych here in Miami but go to school for MHC in the Dept of Ed and the differences can be a bit fuzzier. I do know someone who has actually done both, so from what I understand to be correct, here goes:

Counseling psych phD's can be either research or clinical based the same way Clinical psych PhD's are. However, from all the different online research I've done for Counseling psych PhD's and being in the LMHC program, it seems that Clinical Psych programs are slightly more oriented or capable of working with harsher, more abnormal populations (if they want to). Now they don't have to, and this doesn't mean Counseling psych's cant (because i definitely want to) but it seems like clinical psych PhD's are more focused on diagnosing and treating (when working with clients) than Counseling psych phD's, which are more focused on helping the client's community and providing a better lifestyle for them.

The difference is very slight to me. I have worked with many of the counseling psych PhD's in my master's classes and one of them told me that it is basically just a different means to an end. You pretty much can end up doing the same thing, if that's what you want. If you want Research, either will do. If you want to work with clients, either will do.

But for some reason, I see the Clinical Psych PhD's a little more intense overall. Maybe because here they are harder to get into and the Counseling Psych program is a fairly new thing too. That's why I am going to probably apply to both, and will have to weigh whether I want to do another Master's in Psychology for the Clinical Psych PhD and whether that is even worth it.

The Master's program is oriented in 3 ways here: Mental Health, Marriage & Family, and Research. In my classes, we pretty much learn about how to be "Therapists." And at my work, the LMHC are considered therapists too. I hope this helps!

Last edited:
This thread
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=451948
halfway down, has my explanation of counseling psych v. clinical psych

Already in my 2nd year, I have never even heard of a difference b/w counseling phD and counseling psych phD so I quickly ran to my school's website to make sure mine is a counseling psych PhD since I don't want the crummier sounding PhD. But honestly, I have never heard of JUST counseling PhD's. Aren't they all Counseling Psych PhD's?

Both definitely exist, and there are differences.

Both Counseling PhD's and Counseling Psych PhD's can be in either/or Departments of Education and Departments of Psychology. I am guessing that is why some of the PhD's are referred to as just Counseling PhD's because they may be in the Dept of Education. However... my program in particular is through the Dept of Ed and I am doing the Master's now... but lo and behold, it is in fact a Counseling Psychology PhD.

Lots of counseling psych PhDs are in Ed. departments, has nothing to do with the nomenclature.

And Counseling Psychologists can have the choice whether they want to do the Master's first or as a whole. At my school, they only accept very few for the PhD without a Master's first. (My school picked only 2 out-of-staters compared to the approximate 30 accepted in the Master's program).

Differs by program; my counseling psych program is direct admit to PhD, no terminal masters at all.

Now about the licensure and what getting a PhD means for you beyond that. I am not 100% sure about it all, but I do know that in order to become a licensed LMHC you need many hours of supervised hours working clinically with clients first. So if you don't do this before you start your PhD (meaning a 2-5 year break between) then you won't get that licensure, but instead will just get the APA accredited PhD title.

You need a pile of hours to get licensed as a PhD psychologist too...

... it seems that Clinical Psych programs are slightly more oriented or capable of working with harsher, more abnormal populations (if they want to). Now they don't have to, and this doesn't mean Counseling psych's cant (because i definitely want to) but it seems like clinical psych PhD's are more focused on diagnosing and treating (when working with clients) than Counseling psych phD's, which are more focused on helping the client's community and providing a better lifestyle for them.

I think that's generally accurate.

But for some reason, I see the Clinical Psych PhD's a little more intense overall. Maybe because here they are harder to get into and the Counseling Psych program is a fairly new thing too.

I don't think a comparison of intensity is really appropriate. There are different focuses, as you mentioned. Also I don't know about "more competitive"... my program get hundred of applicants and takes 5.

Also, we're not new! :)

You can make the jump to a Ph.D. program right after completing your Master's and still get licensed as an LMHC. Initial licensure requires a certain number of Pre-Master's/CAGS hours. To receive full licensure you must complete an additional 3,000 horus (which equals out to about 2 years of work experience that can be completed after your Ph.D.)

As far as differences go: Yes Clinical programs are exclusively at Psychology Departments while Counseling Psychology Ph.D.'s can be found in Schools of Education and Psychology Departments. A Ph.D. in Counseling would allow you to have academic requirements as well as internship work toward an LMHC (Something you can do with a Master's), it is not a practitioner degree at all but rather a teaching degree. While many people with Ph.D.'s in Counseling Psychology enter programs after completing a B.A. and/or M.A., while Ph.D.'s in Counseling normally complete a Master's degree and work in the field for some amount of years before they choose to go back and complete the Doctorate. This is why many Ed.D. & Ph.D.'s in just Counseling offer Part-Time optiosn for working professionals, something you will not find at Ph.D. programs in Counseling Psychology.

All of that said, a Ph.D. in Counseling is by no means a "crummier" degree. It is a different degree for a different career path. Even if the goal is teaching, Ph.D.'s in Counseling often teach at the Doctoral level in Counselor Educaiton programs and Master's programs in School/Community Counseling. As well many may be School Counselors who go back for a Doctorate seeking higher administrative positions in schools (School Principal for example). Again, by no means "crummier" but used as a better credential (and icnreases salary significantly in such settings).

Jon