PhD accepted to medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Pantaloooons

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
A quick question: Im interested in rad oncology. My research was on biosensors (seem a bit unrelated to the field of rad oncology). So the question is when I apply to residency, will my research prior to med school count or help at all with the application? ( I do have publications and stuff but again unrelated to the field of rad oncology) Do I still need to do some more research during med school to make myself competitive ?

Lastly, does the field have a gender bias?

Thank you!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
G
A quick question: I am a PhD who just got accepted to med school. Im interested in rad oncology. My PhD research was on fluorescent biosensors (seem a bit unrelated to the field of rad oncology). So the question is when I apply to residency, will my research prior to med school count or help at all with the application? ( I do have publications and stuff but again unrelated to the field of rad oncology) Do I still need to do some more research during med school to make myself competitive ?

Lastly, does the field have a gender bias?

Thank you!

I did the exact same thing you did. Your prior research could go either way for you. If you did well, continue to do well, and can make a coherent story about your progression, you could be a very attractive candidate. Biosensors and nanotechnology are hot in oncology now so your research could easily be relevant to your future...and honestly that's more a bonus than a must.

Your not done though. There is the other side to this sword. If you peaked before med school that's a bad thing. You have to keep working hard (which I'm sure you will). If you decide on rad onc you should certainly do some oncology research, rad onc if you can.

Gender bias: yes and no. It's a traditionally male dominated field and many programs are trying real hard to get female residents. Being a female can be an advantage but I don't think it often ends up being more than a tie-breaker between equal candidates when it comes time to rank.

Finally, keep your options open in med school. You may be surprised what you like. No matter what, work hard and do well at what you do. That will be the key no matter what you do. That and being a good person that's enjoyable to be around.

G

I did the exact same thing you did. Your prior research could go either way for you. If you did well, continue to do well, and can make a coherent story about your progression, you could be a very attractive candidate. Biosensors and nanotechnology are hot in oncology now so your research could easily be relevant to your future...and honestly that's more a bonus than a must.

Your not done though. There is the other side to this sword. If you peaked before med school that's a bad thing. You have to keep working hard (which I'm sure you will). If you decide on rad onc you should certainly do some oncology research, rad onc if you can.

Gender bias: yes and no. It's a traditionally male dominated field and many programs are trying real hard to get female residents. Being a female can be an advantage but I don't think it often ends up being more than a tie-breaker between equal candidates when it comes time to rank.

Finally, keep your options open in med school. You may be surprised what you like. No matter what, work hard and do well at what you do. That will be the key no matter what you do. That and being a good person that's enjoyable to be around.

Thank you!!!! This is certainly helpful.