PharmD then PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

htyotispharm

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I attend a school that does not have the dual PharmD/PhD program but am very interested in getting a PhD. Unfortunately, after taking seven years to get my PharmD, I would have to do another 5 years for the PhD; I'll be 30 years old when I finish and about $125,000 in debt. Do you guys know of any PhD programs that are less than 5 years if you already have a PharmD?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

What are you interested in getting your PhD in?

I think you may want to post this in the PharmD forum.

i hate to break it to you, but most PhD programs will not look at your PharmD with anything more than, 'oh that's nice', because it is a professional degree. therefore, it doesn't really prepare you for academic schooling, a research degree. one is awarded a PhD for original work, which means that work done in other field doesn't help you at all. otherwise, they would start giving out PhD to anyone who holds other doctorate after going to just a few years of school.

if you're worried about money, i wouldn't be. most PhD programs are fully funded. so you won't have to pay tuition or fees. currently i think most graduate programs give about 20 to 22 k a year in stipend plus free tution.

so if you really want it you should go for it. and 30 is nothing. the average age to get a PhD overall is mid 30s.

so good luck

htyotispharm said:
I attend a school that does not have the dual PharmD/PhD program but am very interested in getting a PhD. Unfortunately, after taking seven years to get my PharmD, I would have to do another 5 years for the PhD; I'll be 30 years old when I finish and about $125,000 in debt. Do you guys know of any PhD programs that are less than 5 years if you already have a PharmD?

Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
PhD in Pharmaceutics or Pharmacology may help. You can use some of your PharmD courses to waive the most basic course requirements (i.e. if they allow you to). Other than that, I really can't think of anything. Some colleges, I think, even offer a PhD in Pharmacotherapy? I think I saw one on VCU's website

Did you want a PhD in public health? (im assuming since you posted here) Do you have a masters? Most PhD programs in PH require a masters AND work experience for entrance. You PharmD means nothing in that. Have you thought about why you want a PhD? If you want to work as a pharmacist it is not going to do much for you. If you want to work in research, there was no reason for the PharmD. Ultimately you need to decide what it is you want to do. Getting a degree because it sounds nice is not a good plan. Also do some research. If you looked at any PhD programs you would see that you should not have to pay for one. Stop, think, and gather your information. Then make an informed decision.

Did you want a PhD in public health? (im assuming since you posted here) Do you have a masters? Most PhD programs in PH require a masters AND work experience for entrance. You PharmD means nothing in that. Have you thought about why you want a PhD? If you want to work as a pharmacist it is not going to do much for you. If you want to work in research, there was no reason for the PharmD. Ultimately you need to decide what it is you want to do. Getting a degree because it sounds nice is not a good plan. Also do some research. If you looked at any PhD programs you would see that you should not have to pay for one. Stop, think, and gather your information. Then make an informed decision.

Right on. Another good resource for PhDs is The Grad Cafe: http://forum.thegradcafe.com/. Most folks talk about PhD programs and funding opportunities.

you can do a phd at many places without an mph.

check out harvard & upenn.

and most schools will looks at it more than "oh that's nice." it's a marketable skillset.

yeah this is false. Why would you drop the pharmd. Thats like saying there is no need for md, phd. a pharmd gives you a unique background that is very marketable depending on what phd pathway you are looking at. You have a knowledge of medications and medication use. In addition to a clinical background. It totally depends on what research you want to do. You may only need a Pharmd, MPH for the research you want. Many pharmds are now getting into public health.

yeah this is false. Why would you drop the pharmd. Thats like saying there is no need for md, phd. a pharmd gives you a unique background that is very marketable depending on what phd pathway you are looking at. You have a knowledge of medications and medication use. In addition to a clinical background. It totally depends on what research you want to do. You may only need a Pharmd, MPH for the research you want. Many pharmds are now getting into public health.

I said nothing about dropping the PharmD. I simply told the OP that random degrees without any direction is not the way to go. If you read my post and tried to understand, rather than trying ot pick a fight with someone, you would agree that the OP should figure out what they want to do careerwise before tacking on another degree program.

A PharmD is a professional degree, not a research degree. An MPH may suit their purposes fine. Their post made it clear that they are unsure of their purposes. I waned to let them know that many PH doctoral programs require a masters and many require public health work experience. Having a PharmD or working as a pharmacist does not count at many of the schools I have looked at. I merely pointed that out.

A PhD is not a degree to just get for the hell of it. Neither is a PharmD, MD, any degree for that matter...THAT was my main point.

Do try to actually understand what people here are saying. We e are not all cut-throat and trying to pick fights here.

I would caution that there are pharmacists who have phds who "work as pharmacists." Second why would there be no reason for a pharmd if they want to work in research? If that is the case why are there combined programs?