PharmCAS Questions

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
if you have to reapply next year, do so as early as possible so you have LOTS of time to fix things. Note: I've seen people apply as early as June/July to be on top of things.

Lesson learned!!!!! Apply early OP. There are still schools out there that still accepting apps. Check pharmcas website. #1 rule: send your transcript to pharmcas first- these bastards take a long time to arrive and calculate. My thrice cents. Good luck.

From my email.

PharmCAS wishes to remind you that the March 1, 2010 deadline is quickly approaching for the pharmacy schools listed below:

Albany College of Pharmacy - Albany, NY
Albany College of Pharmacy - Colchester, VT
Appalachian College of Pharmacy
Auburn University
Belmont University
Concordia University
Creighton University
D'Youville College
Harding University
LECOM-Bradenton
LECOM-Erie
Louisiana at Monroe, University of
Maryland-Eastern Shore, University of
Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine (PCOM)
Regis University
Saint Joseph College
Thomas Jefferson University
Union University
Virginia Commonwealth University

Members don't see this ad.

Woot, found out the school is willing to take the transcript directly.

No, I do blame myself for the most part and was just angry at the time. However, I still think that pharmcas is a ridiculous system. There are many other reasons I feel this way though. As was sort of previously stated, my main problem with them is that I don't feel like they provide a sufficient amount of services for the fees that they charge.

As I said, its true that they state you need to have a transcript from every school. However, I do not think that they emphasize that fact well enough in the areas that an applicant looks at while he/she is working with that part of the process. Also, I don't quite understand why they let me even submit the application when they had not received that transcript. On top of that, before and after I had submitted the application, the only information provided under the transcript tab was that they had recieved my transcripts shortly after the date I had sent them from my primary school. To answer your question ionou, they do know of every school that an applicant has attended b/c you are required to list them as you enter in each of your completed courses and grades. That information is also provided in the transcript they had received, which also indicates that the few courses taken at the other institution had been completely transferred.

In any case, I have also applied to other schools. My top choice is a school that does not use the PharmCAS system for their applications. This has served to lower my patients with PharmCAS... especially since its my backup schools that use it.

Meh, well, oh well. Thanks for the constructive feedback.

Members don't see this ad :)

No, I do blame myself for the most part and was just angry at the time. However, I still think that pharmcas is a ridiculous system. There are many other reasons I feel this way though. As was sort of previously stated, my main problem with them is that I don't feel like they provide a sufficient amount of services for the fees that they charge.

As I said, its true that they state you need to have a transcript from every school. However, I do not think that they emphasize that fact well enough in the areas that an applicant looks at while he/she is working with that part of the process. Also, I don't quite understand why they let me even submit the application when they had not received that transcript. On top of that, before and after I had submitted the application, the only information provided under the transcript tab was that they had recieved my transcripts shortly after the date I had sent them from my primary school. To answer your question ionou, they do know of every school that an applicant has attended b/c you are required to list them as you enter in each of your completed courses and grades. That information is also provided in the transcript they had received, which also indicates that the few courses taken at the other institution had been completely transferred.

In any case, I have also applied to other schools. My top choice is a school that does not use the PharmCAS system for their applications. This has served to lower my patients with PharmCAS... especially since its my backup schools that use it.

Meh, well, oh well. Thanks for the constructive feedback.

Oooh ooh I can answer that one!

Q: Can I e-submit my application before my transcripts are received by PharmCAS?
A: Yes. Once your application is complete, you can e-submit at any time.
That's why :D

Honestly I would think having to apply to a different system for every school would a be a HUGE PIA compared to using PharmCAS.

Is it perfect? Probably not, but its a helluva lot better than the alternative.

However, I do not think that they emphasize that fact well enough in the areas that an applicant looks at while he/she is working with that part of the process..

Honestly, I wrote this yesterday but deleted to not hurt your feelings - if you are still complaining about this - then you don't see how it's entirely your responsiblity.

What is pharmcas supposed to do ? Give you a phone call before bedtime to stress the importance so you take things seriously ? Spam you with hundreds of emails so you actually get it burned in your brain ? Have it big neon flashing box on the first page ?

Quit being a big baby - if things are clearly stated as THEIR POCILIES, I don't know how much more stressed they can be.

No, I do blame myself for the most part and was just angry at the time.

Then you go on to continue to speak of the inadequacies of pharmcas. How can I put this simply, ITS YOUR FAULT DAMNIT. 50,000 other applicants can follow the rules so there is no sympathy coming your way for not doing so. Enough said.

So... does anyone else think that PharmCAS is absolutely ridiculous? I just found out, about two weeks after the deadline for one of the schools that I am applying to, that my pharmCAS application is incomplete. After going through all the trouble to write my essay, submit all my data and everything else by the deadline... including their excessive fee, it may be worthless. Of course, after I submitted everything I made sure to check it constantly for about a week to a week and a half after that day. But, it wasn't until I checked two weeks later that a notification showed up in the transcripts tab stating that they have not received my transcript for a school I attended for a year before coming to my primary institution. Because of this, they have not "calculated my GPA."

Granted, I probably should have read their instructions and documentation more thoroughly. But when I read over "transcript from every institution" for the first time, its likely that this didn't feel emphasized with importance. Why should it be that important? The transcript from my current school includes all of that information anyways. Not too mention, it would take an incredibly long time to get the proper transcript request form to that school and then to have pharmcas receive it.

Why are we paying them a 150$ fee for an application to a single school? So that we can enter all of our own courses and grades just to send them that data via transcripts anyway? My guess is that their version of our GPA's are simply calculated using the data we input, while our transcripts are used to check for accuracy.... certainly not something that would require much of an addition to their fee. And you think with such a large fee they could notify you appropriately about information missing from your application... or at least leave a decent indication that the data is missing within a reasonable amount of time. They take their payment and, in my opinion, provide the absolute minimal amount of customer service knowing that most pharmacy schools utilize their system. Thank god for the select few that do not use their system.

Sorry for the long and somewhat incoherent rant, but after finding out that I may not even get the opportunity to be interviewed at this school and that I've potentially lost my overall application fee (including the supplemental fee and fee to have my pcat scores sent to the right places), I've become angry enough to the point that I'm having trouble sleeping. Maybe venting will help. Anybody else have any beefs with PharmCAS?

I have a suggestion for you: "Pharmacy is not the right option for you, and if you do decide to pursue pharmacy I pray that I (or any of my relatives) never end up as your patient. A better outcome would be you getting rejected incessantly by Pharmacy schools.":smuggrin:

Honestly I would think having to apply to a different system for every school would a be a HUGE PIA compared to using PharmCAS.

Is it perfect? Probably not, but its a helluva lot better than the alternative.

I don't know, I think that filling out an application for each school individually might be better. For one thing, you usually have to fill out a supplemental application for each institution anyways. This would also allow for applicants to adjust their personal statements to include their reasons for wanting to attend the specific programs... though I guess it can be said that this is what supplemental essays are for. Additionally, I feel like this helps to establish a feeling of being slightly more connected to the people at the school.

However, I also understand that many pharmacy schools receive such a large number of applications that it would be far to difficult for them to do all of the evaluation themselves. So there is clearly a need for a system like pharmcas. I am just saying that I think they could improve their services a great deal.

In reference to my current situation, lets look at it this way. Lets say, hypothetically, I had sent off my transcript from my previously attended school. A week after submitting my application I look over it again and check information pertaining to my transcripts. That info states that they have received transcripts, but does not at first state where from. My automatic assumption would be that they have received all the necessary transcripts. However, maybe for some reason there was a postal error and the transcript for the previously attended school did not arrive while it was only the primary school's transcript that arrived. Only after checking back a week later does it list each school that they require a transcript from and that they are actually missing one. What could an applicant have done in this situation... asside from the obvious solution of applying weeks earlier? I just think it would have been nice for them to indicate a little bit more clearly which transcripts they have received and which they still need. For this reason, yes, I do think it would be nice to have something along the lines of a weekly reminder via email when you are missing certain parts of your application.

And you don't have to worry about hurting my feelings cheburashka. But thank you for the consideration.

In reference to my current situation, lets look at it this way. Lets say, hypothetically, I had sent off my transcript from my previously attended school. A week after submitting my application I look over it again and check information pertaining to my transcripts. That info states that they have received transcripts, but does not at first state where from. My automatic assumption would be that they have received all the necessary transcripts. However, maybe for some reason there was a postal error and the transcript for the previously attended school did not arrive while it was only the primary school's transcript that arrived. Only after checking back a week later does it list each school that they require a transcript from and that they are actually missing one. What could an applicant have done in this situation... asside from the obvious solution of applying weeks earlier? I just think it would have been nice for them to indicate a little bit more clearly which transcripts they have received and which they still need. For this reason, yes, I do think it would be nice to have something along the lines of a weekly reminder via email when you are missing certain parts of your application.

And you don't have to worry about hurting my feelings cheburashka. But thank you for the consideration.

That's why I sent my app in in September instead of a week before the deadline.

And I still don't see what you're problem is because everything is clearly listed on my end

pharmcas.jpg

I didn't like pharmcas at first either until I later decided to add a couple schools to my list and all I had to do was pay a few bones, copy and paste many of my essays that I wrote for other school supplementals and low and behold I got an interview to one of those schools a week later. The system is flawed, but I don't seem problems with clear directions. I just hate the redundant nature of the application process. Hopefully more people just give up or wait until it is too late and leave more opportunities to the rest of us who know how to follow directions.

So I'm reading over how PharmCAS groups certain courses, and I noticed in "other science" it includes "emergency med-tech." That said, does pharmcas factor in grades from technical programs, i.e. EMT Paramedic? If so....sweet! I've got nearly 50 hours of 4.0 grades in that on top of my B.S.

Anyone know?

If so, it sounds like a possible exploitable loophole a few creative people might use to their advantage in the future :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
please ignore. sorry, i figured it out.

Last edited:
Hi nextyearrx,
it normally takes some time for pharmcas to update your grades after you have submitted the transcripts. I sent my transcripts at the beginning of January, and my GPA was recalculated on February 16. On the pharmcas website, it also says that it can take them anywhere between 4-6 weeks to calculate your new GPA. You should continue to view your pharmcas application...your new GPA will appear in the status window on the right hand side with the new date that is was calculated. Good luck!

I know that PharmCas calculates the GPA differently, and I know there are Science GPAs, Math GPAs, and overall GPAs.

But I want to take some of my lower division major courses at a CC this summer, so it will be less expensive. (Like CGS, or Nutrition). I will also be taking Anatomy during summer A at my university and speech during summer B at the university. Would that be a bad idea to take an online course at a CC? I know I will be able to get an A in the CC course, but will that not be calculated into my GPA?

Because my university system does an overall GPA and a university GPA, and obviously the CC grade isn't included in the university GPA. Does the Pharmcas use all possibly course grades, or just ones from your main university?

Sorry if that was confusing. Thank you.

I know that PharmCas calculates the GPA differently, and I know there are Science GPAs, Math GPAs, and overall GPAs.

But I want to take some of my lower division major courses at a CC this summer, so it will be less expensive. (Like CGS, or Nutrition). I will also be taking Anatomy during summer A at my university and speech during summer B at the university. Would that be a bad idea to take an online course at a CC? I know I will be able to get an A in the CC course, but will that not be calculated into my GPA?

Because my university system does an overall GPA and a university GPA, and obviously the CC grade isn't included in the university GPA. Does the Pharmcas use all possibly course grades, or just ones from your main university?

Sorry if that was confusing. Thank you.

pleasepleaseplease read the pharmcas.org site. IT IS YOUR GUIDE! Think of it as the yellow brick road to pharmacy. 99.9% of your questions regarding pre-reqs, calculation of GPAs, deadlines, etc are on that site. Otherwise, pleasepleaseplase use the search function up there ^^ it is extremely helpful- you will find the answer you seek and not have to wait around for people to answer your post. Many people will not answer posts like these because they have been posted like 78321543482 times before. Not trying to be mean, just helpful. If you have SPECIFIC questions after you have used the resources that are available to you, we would LOVE to assist you in your pursuits!

Wow, after your rant, you didn't even answer their question.

To answer your question OP:

Pharmcas calculates every course you have taken at any college in the entire world, even if you did it during high school. It doesn't matter when or where or how you did the class, if it is done with a college, it all goes into your final GPA. The GPA isn't divided by school you went to on Pharmcas, but rather by Science, Math, non-science, etc.

I hope this helps you.

hey guys, quick question:

you may choose up to 14 schools to receive official transcripts. anything after that is $20 each.

if you take the PCAT and send your transcript to 3 schools, but later on you decide on other schools that you want to apply to, how do you go about the process so that they receive your PCAT scores? i want to apply to as many schools as possible, but don't want to pay $20 for each school because it adds up quick!

thanks! --arthur

I am pretty sure anything after three is 20 per school. I did mine in august so I dont remember. Clarify your question a little

You can send PCAT scores directly to the schools using the Pearson site, but I believe most schools require the scores to come from PharmCAS. You will have to pay the PharmCAS fee for each school you apply to using the service.

hey guys, quick question:

you may choose up to 14 schools to receive official transcripts. anything after three** is $20 each.

if you take the PCAT and send your transcript to 3 schools, but later on you decide on other schools that you want to apply to, how do you go about the process so that they receive your PCAT scores? i want to apply to as many schools as possible, but don't want to pay $20 for each school because it adds up quick!

thanks! --arthur

When you registered to take the PCAT, you should select your score to send to Pharmcas (code 104) - so one out of the three that you get for free before they charge you extra fees. Once you submit all your applications through pharmcas, the schools that you selected will be able to access your pcat scores so technically you do not have to send it to them directly since Pharmcas will have a copy already. If you want to apply to schools that do not use Pharmcas, that's when you use the other two spots that you have left!

When I registered to take the test, I only sent to pharmcas and I applied to 6 schools and they're all fine!

hey all,

so today i was looking at pharmcas site and there's some questions i want to find out about.
1) i took 2 classes over the last summer at community college. got an A and C. the grade did not matter to my GPA when i transfer them to my university. but when pharmcas calculate the GPA would it matter?
2) i wanted to ask my professor who is retiring this year, to write a recommendation. but if he does it now, would it still be on pharmcas for me when i apply next year or the year after that when i may need it again? lol
3)when i try to open a pharmcas account, there's one blank for CID(pcat?) does that mean i should at least take the pcat first?
4)more questions on the way~:laugh:

first post, thank you all in advance:luck:

hey all,

so today i was looking at pharmcas site and there's some questions i want to find out about.
1) i took 2 classes over the last summer at community college. got an A and C. the grade did not matter to my GPA when i transfer them to my university. but when pharmcas calculate the GPA would it matter?
2) i wanted to ask my professor who is retiring this year, to write a recommendation. but if he does it now, would it still be on pharmcas for me when i apply next year or the year after that when i may need it again? lol
3)when i try to open a pharmcas account, there's one blank for CID(pcat?) does that mean i should at least take the pcat first?
4)more questions on the way~:laugh:

first post, thank you all in advance:luck:

1) Yes, you should enter all your grades, as PharmCAS will verify your grade entries when you submit your transcripts to them.
2) For each application cycle, I believe you have to resubmit LORs to PharmCAS. I'm not 100% sure on this one.
3) You do not need to take the PCAT in order to open a PharmCAS account.

Stupid question, I know, but I don't want to sound like an idiot.:rolleyes:

Is it farm - see - ay - ess? (saying each letter)

Or farm - cass? (rhymes with "pass")

Or farm - cahss? (rhymes with "boss")

Just curious. Thanks.

Interesting question. Maybe students in different states are saying it differently.

Out here in California, students go with option #2.

I have never heard is said any other way besides pharm-cass.
I've talked to school reps from over 10 states. Even the PharmCAS people on the phone will answer "Hello, Pharm-CASS"

Stupid question, I know, but I don't want to sound like an idiot.:rolleyes:

Is it farm - see - ay - ess? (saying each letter)

Or farm - cass? (rhymes with "pass")

Or farm - cahss? (rhymes with "boss")

Just curious. Thanks.

Good use of a forum OP!

Good use of a forum OP!

Who else was I supposed to ask? There aren't very many pre-pharm students at my school, and most of them are no where near the application phase. People look at me strangely if I ask if they have taken the PCAT yet.

Besides, having lurked on this forum as long as I have, I've seen questions way more ridiculous than mine answered with gusto.

Who else was I supposed to ask? There aren't very many pre-pharm students at my school, and most of them are no where near the application phase. People look at me strangely if I ask if they have taken the PCAT yet.

Which pharmacy school is near your school then? I should apply there next year because it looks like I am not getting in anywhere this year due to competition especially with California schools.

I wish to get my LORs done ahead and I was wondering if it is possible to let minimize the work of my evaluators, by letting them send just one letter to the electronic letter service(such as interfolio), to fulfill all the applications...

Does the letter service send the letter to PharmCas, or do I need to file them seperately? If it does send to Pharmcas, do I need to do it in a specific format?

Thanks for any opinion!

I am assuming you are applying next cycle correct? The new PharmCAS application cycle will open in June. When you set up your application, there is a section where you enter in your evaluators' contact information. It will auto-generate an e-mail to them so that they can submit the recommendation directly to PharmCAS. PharmCAS asks specific questions, so I am not so sure you want your evaluators to write a "letter" beforehand. It is very important that you go to PharmCAS.org and read through ALL of the directions. Everything you need to know is there...now, with that said, there are some schools that do not participate in PharmCAS. For those schools, you will have to visit their website and/or contact their admissions office for further instruction about their application process. PharmCAS does list out all the schools that do (and do not) participate so take your time in reading about each school you are interested in. I really really encourage you to do this soon (like now) so that you will be ready when the application cycle starts in June.

If you have a school letter service, you should do that, as they will probably be able to help you.

What I did was use my undergrad biology department letter service. First, I gave my recommenders the PharmCAS Rating form for them to complete (this form you can print once you start your PharmCAS application). It is just a form that they use to rate your characteristics. Then they write a separate letter of recommendation for me. Then they mail both their LOR and PharmCAS Rating form to the school letter service. Also, depending on your school, they require a waiver form for you to complete. My school then sent this whole package (LOR, PharmCAS Rating form, Waiver form) to any place I want, whether to PharmCAS or a school who does not participate in PharmCAS. But if you use a letter service, be sure to mark on your PharmCAS application that the LOR's will be sent in as paper form. Don't mark electronic or PharmCAS will be sending an email request to your recommenders to write their letters online (but you don't want that since your are using a letter service). This way, by using a letter service, your writers will only need to write one set of letters. Then that letter service can send to BOTH PharmCAS and non-PharmCAS schools.

I know this is very confusing, it was to me when I began the app cycle last summer. Just be proactive and ask a lot. Ask your school if they have a letter service. But ask your bio sci department first (or any other science department) to see if they have one, because they will be more familiar with PharmCAS applicants. Then ask them to work with you on the requirements and what you need to include in your letter package. Then ask PharmCAS if they accept the format that your letter service uses. And if it's a non-PharmCAS school, then check with that school to see if they will accept the format that your letter service uses. Or if your school doesn't have a letter service, see if interfolio lets you include the PharmCAS Rating form so they can send that along with each recommender's letter. I never used interfolio so I'm not too familiar with it. But just like what Rxlea said, remember to read the PharmCAS FAQ before applying. Good luck.

Last edited:
Which pharmacy school is near your school then? I should apply there next year because it looks like I am not getting in anywhere this year due to competition especially with California schools.

My particular university does not have a large number of pre-pharm students, but the closest pharmacy school is the University of Minnesota, which is surrounded by colleges. So that might not help you all that much.

i pronounce the "p" because it's not silent like in phone

"ppppppppppp-harm-cass" 3 syllables

Thank you Lakersfanpharmd and rxlea for your valuable input!
I just have one question for lakersfanpharmd: while you send the pharmcas form to the letter service, how do u notify pharmcas?? don't you need to send the letter to the school via Pharmcas?

Thank you Lakersfanpharmd and rxlea for your valuable input!
I just have one question for lakersfanpharmd: while you send the pharmcas form to the letter service, how do u notify pharmcas?? don't you need to send the letter to the school via Pharmcas?
Sorry, what do you mean by "how do you notify pharmcas"? I am pretty sure PharmCAS will accept your letter service. You can call PharmCAS to verify. Again, you first start with your undergrad school and ask them to work with you on compiling your letter packet (which should include your LOR's, PharmCAS Rating forms, and if required, school waiver forms). Then your school will forward this packet to PharmCAS. Once PharmCAS receives the letter packet, they will forward it to all your pharm schools you are applying to. Using a letter service is also good because you can have them forward the letter packet to schools that don't use PharmCAS. Hope I answered your question. Let me know if you need help on anything else.

Edit: I think you were confused. For the PharmCAS schools, you will use the letter service to send your letters to PharmCAS. You're not going to send it directly to those schools, unless the school says to do so (For example, Western University is a PharmCAS school, but they want your letters sent directly to them, not through PharmCAS). For the non-PharmCAS schools, you are going to send it directly to them.

Last edited:
Mostly off topic, but... did you guys get that email from pharmcas? To me, it sounded like pharmcas will be saving 09-10 applications, which will allow reapplicants to update their applications instead of starting over.

Hey your right shunpo! I just reread the email I got from them recently and it does state that if you had esubmitted and paid for your application (pharmcas) this cycle then you can just update it for next cycle. However, if you started it but didn't pay then you need to create a new one! Well that would make things much easier for me IFF I don't get in to any of the schools I applied to this cycle :

Hey everyone, okay so I created a "mock" app this application cycle to see how it was set up and everything and get the essay topic so I can write it in advance, etc. However, I can still log on as of today and access all the random stuff here and there I inputted. For instance I sent a fake rec to my mom because I wanted to see how it looked like and I inputted a few random classes to see how to do it, etc, but all of this stuff is still in there. I also used my real email address, name, birthdate, SSN, etc when I made this mock app. So will pharmcas erase it before this new (real cycle for me)? Or do I have to go back and manually delete all of the random stuff? Here's the email I got from them:

PharmCAS will be closing on Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 5 PM Eastern Standard Time and will re-open in early June 2010 for the 2010-2011 application cycle.

Applicants who have not yet submitted their application by April 1, 2010 and want to reapply will be required to create a new application for the 2010-2011 application cycle. All other applicants who have submitted and paid for their applications for the 2009-2010 cycle will have the opportunity to update their application and reapply in the 2010-2011 application cycle. If you have submitted your application but are missing the required payment, you will have the option to create a new application for the 2010-2011 application cycle, but will not be allowed to update your 2009-2010 application. Updated 2010-2011 applications and new 2010-2011 applications will be assessed the same application fees which will be announced in early June 2010.

Please email [email protected] if you have any questions.

But all the stuff I inputted this cycle is still there :\ I never paid or sent this mock app to any school obviously so shouldn't they have erased my info by now?

Hey everyone, okay so I created a "mock" app this application cycle to see how it was set up and everything and get the essay topic so I can write it in advance, etc. However, I can still log on as of today and access all the random stuff here and there I inputted. For instance I sent a fake rec to my mom because I wanted to see how it looked like and I inputted a few random classes to see how to do it, etc, but all of this stuff is still in there. I also used my real email address, name, birthdate, SSN, etc when I made this mock app. So will pharmcas erase it before this new (real cycle for me)? Or do I have to go back and manually delete all of the random stuff? Here's the email I got from them:

PharmCAS will be closing on Thursday, April 1, 2010 at 5 PM Eastern Standard Time and will re-open in early June 2010 for the 2010-2011 application cycle.

Applicants who have not yet submitted their application by April 1, 2010 and want to reapply will be required to create a new application for the 2010-2011 application cycle. All other applicants who have submitted and paid for their applications for the 2009-2010 cycle will have the opportunity to update their application and reapply in the 2010-2011 application cycle. If you have submitted your application but are missing the required payment, you will have the option to create a new application for the 2010-2011 application cycle, but will not be allowed to update your 2009-2010 application. Updated 2010-2011 applications and new 2010-2011 applications will be assessed the same application fees which will be announced in early June 2010.

Please email [email protected] if you have any questions.

But all the stuff I inputted this cycle is still there :\ I never paid or sent this mock app to any school obviously so shouldn't they have erased my info by now?

PharmCAS is slow at updating. I think I was still able to access the app last year until about April 15th. Then they close it and shut it off until June 1st for the new cycle, and I couldn't log on to my old app anymore. Just be patient.