PharmCAS application.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thenarcisist

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey guys, do you feel I should apply as an early applicant or regular? which do you feel is of more advantage?
and also if you don't get in as an early applicant are you automatically taken as a regular applicant so your application can be reviewed again?

Members don't see this ad.

I can tell you my plan and line of thinking...

I'm applying as an early decision applicant to my choice school because it is really where I want to attend. As an early decision candidate, I'm showing them that by only applying to them with my commitment to attend if they accept me.

If they accept me, GREAT! I'm in and I'm done.

If they don't accept me as an early decision applicant, that moves me into the regular applicant status where I'm held in comparison to everyone else who applies regular status. If they accept me, GREAT! I'm in and I'm done.

If they don't accept me at all, that gives me time to review other schools that I may want to go to, review their pre-reqs to see if I'm needing anything or not that my choice school didn't require, and then take spring classes if necessary while applying to the other schools.

Early Decision
  • If Yes, I'm in my #1 Choice school - Done! Yay!
  • If No...
    • but I'm put in as a regular candidate, great.
      • If I get in, I'm in my #1 Choice schoolYay! Done
      • If I don't get in,
        • Review prereqs of other schools
        • Apply to other schools, contingent on how my spring classes go (which should be fine)
        • Hopefully get accepted into one of the other schools.
    • I didn't get in,
      • Review prereqs of other schools
      • Apply to other schools, contingent on how my spring classes go (which should be fine)
      • Hopefully get accepted into one of the other schools.

Reactions: 1 users
hey guys, do you feel I should apply as an early applicant or regular? which do you feel is of more advantage?
and also if you don't get in as an early applicant are you automatically taken as a regular applicant so your application can be reviewed again?

I didn’t apply as an early applicant but I set myself a goal to complete my application by Oct. 1st. Most of the schools do rolling admissions so it’s smart to get it in and finished as soon as possible. Even though I waited until Oct. 1st I was still chosen by three schools to come to the next interview session (following their early decision interview). I think I was still early enough to be competitive even though I wasn’t the earliest. Another reason why I didn’t do early decision is because I couldn’t decide where I wanted to go and didn’t figure it out until after all my interviews.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how to post letters or recommendation on your PharmCAS profile?

Does anyone know how to post letters or recommendation on your PharmCAS profile?
You don't. You enter in the person's information that you'd like to write the letter of recommendation into that section in PharmCAS. It'll want their name, their email address, and the date you want them to complete it by. Then, they have to submit it themselves. This is PharmCAS's way of making sure that you are not fraudulently entering in letters of people who didn't actually write them.

*edited for clarity

Reactions: 1 user
You don't. You enter in the person's information that you'd like to write the letter of recommendation into that section in PharmCAS. It'll want their name, their email address, and the date you want them to complete it by. Then, they have to submit it themselves. This is PharmCAS's way of making sure that you are not fraudulently entering in letters of people who didn't actually write them.

*edited for clarity
Thank you so much for that clarification I really needed that. Do you know what section on the PharmCAS website I need to go to inorder to start that process.

Hey everyone, Let me know how your application journey goes. I am also applying for the 2018-2019 cycle.

Reactions: 2 users
Thank you so much for that clarification I really needed that. Do you know what section on the PharmCAS website I need to go to inorder to start that process.

When you log in, and you're looking at the My Application tab with the 4 options (Personal Info, Academic, Supporting, or Program Materials), you click on Supporting Information. The first option called "Evaluations" is what you're looking for to start that process.

Hey everyone, Let me know how your application journey goes. I am also applying for the 2018-2019 cycle.
Good luck!

I just have to get new transcripts sent in, and I have to keep plugging away at the Personal Essay and all the secondary essays my school has (one required and some optional). Much of my info carried over from the previous cycle because I thought I'd be ready, but I needed another semester the way my schedule worked out.

Good luck!

I just have to get new transcripts sent in, and I have to keep plugging away at the Personal Essay and all the secondary essays my school has (one required and some optional). Much of my info carried over from the previous cycle because I thought I'd be ready, but I needed another semester the way my schedule worked out.
Have u submitted your application to any school?

Good luck!

hey! first of all, I have to say you're the real mvp so far. I have a question, for my transcript section, it hasn't ticked completed cause I haven't submitted all my pre-requisites, i'm completing them this coming school section, so what exactly am I meant to do it i have filled in all the requirements i've taken so far?

hey! first of all, I have to say you're the real mvp so far. I have a question, for my transcript section, it hasn't ticked completed cause I haven't submitted all my pre-requisites, i'm completing them this coming school section, so what exactly am I meant to do it i have filled in all the requirements i've taken so far?
U have to have ur transcript sent to pharmcas for it to say complete un the transcript section.

Members don't see this ad :)
And ur application wont say verified untill u have submitted ur transcripts and submitted ur application to at least 1 school.

oh i see, thank you, I'm actually still struggling with my personal essay, but i'm getting there.

oh i see, thank you, I'm actually still struggling with my personal essay, but i'm getting there.
If u have any more questions u can ask me. I have submitted my application and transcripts am Lors am waiting for my application to be verified so i can get an interview

If u have any more questions u can ask me. I have submitted my application and transcripts am Lors am waiting for my application to be verified so i can get an interview

definitely! thanks again.

All I have left for my application is to complete my essays (nearly done) and then my Letters of Recommendation should be completed within the next week or so. I'm planning on applying Early Decision so it'll be submitted soon :)

All I have left for my application is to complete my essays (nearly done) and then my Letters of Recommendation should be completed within the next week or so. I'm planning on applying Early Decision so it'll be submitted soon :)
Nice. Lets share how it all goes.

Reactions: 2 users
Good luck!

That's the part that I've been procrastinating about. I know what I wan't my personal essay to say about me but I haven't quite gotten it all to fit together just yet. You got this this time around!

Hi!
Under the status bar, transcripts has changed to arrived. Is there something else I need to do or does pharmcas take care of it from here? One of my letter of recommendation says completed but two say accepted. Is there something the evaluators have to do?

Hi!
Under the status bar, transcripts has changed to arrived. Is there something else I need to do or does pharmcas take care of it from here? One of my letter of recommendation says completed but two say accepted. Is there something the evaluators have to do?

PharmCAS will handle the transcripts part, and as long as everything you've entered for your classes matches the transcripts, you're good to go on that one.

For the LORs, nothing that you can really do there. The one that's completed, yay! The other, the most you can do is send them a reminder through the system to complete. Give them a due date. But if they haven't completed it yet, they just need to do it.

I would recommend early decision if you have a school that you want specifically. Thats what I did and as saisri_pharmstdnt said, if you get in than great because you are in the school that you wanted to get into and if you don't than it isn't the end of the world because you will be able to apply to other schools during the normal cycle. Just make sure that is the school you want to go to bc if they accept you than you don't have an option to back out.

The pharmacists I talk to who do recruiting for the school tell me they can't fill all their seats. So as long as you're at the 3.1 GPA threshold and alive you should get in somewhere.

The pharmacists I talk to who do recruiting for the school tell me they can't fill all their seats. So as long as you're at the 3.1 GPA threshold and alive you should get in somewhere.

hey so are you saying someone with a 2.9 gpa after first year of pre-pharmacy doesn't have a good chance of getting admitted into the program? and what do you mean by they can't fill in all their seats?

hey so are you saying someone with a 2.9 gpa after first year of pre-pharmacy doesn't have a good chance of getting admitted into the program? and what do you mean by they can't fill in all their seats?

For the past couple cycles pharmacy programs have been admitting students all the way til one month prior to classes starting. Many people are realizing the cost of attendance plus job availability doesn’t add up and so fewer students are applying to specific regions of the country

1) if you have a #1 school of choice apply early decision. More advantage due to timing of cycle as well as saving money should you get accepted vs applying to other universities + supplementary apps + etc etc.

2) if you don’t get in the university has two choices: automatically place you as a regular applicant or straight up deny your application (the latter is rare but it happens)

Hello, I just want to ask. What specific details did you include in your personal essay? I don't know if I should start explaining when I was in 4th grade where I got interested in science and the story goes on or be direct to the point as to why?

Hello, I just want to ask. What specific details did you include in your personal essay? I don't know if I should start explaining when I was in 4th grade where I got interested in science and the story goes on or be direct to the point as to why?

Don’t do 4th grade. Stick to what drew you to pharmacy as opposed to other medical professions.

What do you want to get out of the degree? You should also demonstrate that you understand the responsibilities pharmacists have in common settings or the pharmacist’s role in the opiate epidemic.

Talk about how experiences in a pharmacy, leadership position or in your classes (besides pre-reqs) will enable you to succeed in school or understanding problems faced by underserved populations.

This is all stuff I talked about. Pick and choose what is relevant to you.

Be direct with life examples. They’ll take 3-4 minutes reading your essay (and many others). Whatever can “catch the eye” and related to the field of pharmacy is what you want. I drew on examples from my military experience as well as health service over-seas as a translator during a tsunami crisis.

Everyone has a story: Remember 4500 word essay (with spaces) goes by faster than you can imagine.

Don’t do 4th grade. Stick to what drew you to pharmacy as opposed to other medical professions.

What do you want to get out of the degree? You should also demonstrate that you understand the responsibilities pharmacists have in common settings or the pharmacist’s role in the opiate epidemic.

Talk about how experiences in a pharmacy, leadership position or in your classes (besides pre-reqs) will enable you to succeed in school or understanding problems faced by underserved populations.

This is all stuff I talked about. Pick and choose what is relevant to you.
Awesome! Thank you so much! This really helps! Did you also apply for the 2018-2019 cycle/Fall 2019 batch?

Sent from my ASUS_A002A using SDN mobile