PharmacyWeek.Com

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sweetcalie08

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, for those of you who've visited www.pharmacyweek.com , what do you think? Do you think it gives a valid depiction of the pharmacy world? There's one poster ("Slaver" or "UnionYES")who is continually negative and it gets on my nerves. Please tell me not all pharmacists feel the same way as him.

Members don't see this ad.

There is a good majority of pharmacists that feel this way. Mostly retail pharmacists, and some inpatient pharmacists. Pharmacy is really what you make of it, and a lot of people are stuck in dead end, monotonous, abusive positions. And some people are happy in those same positions. *shrug*

I love my job, but I didn't used to. I hated my first retail job with a passion; my second retail job was a lot better. And now I've found my favorite one yet as an inpatient dispensing/clinical pharmacist. Who knows, my next one may be pure bliss. ;)

Do you think a larger majority of pharmacists or nurses have negative feelings towards their job? I just applied to both types of programs and if I get accepted to both, I'll have a huge decision to make. I know pharmacy is harder to get into, so it's tempting to accept that offer if I get it...I know that's not a reason to accept though. Sometimes I feel like, even though there are many unhappy pharmacists, it seems like nursing would become even more dissatisfying...seems like there's more burnout in the nursing field. Just my opinion. I was also thinking about shooting for Phys Asst school, but those fellows get upset with their career too...seems like they don't feel they really have a niche, especially with all the skeptical docs out there. Haha, I guess it's just the real world...most careers become jobs and we just have to deal with what we're in. I just don't want pharmacy to become super awful if that's what I do. Sorry for spilling my mind. ;)

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't think nursing would be any better, in my opinion, it would be heckuvalot worse (but I'm partial).

You're a pharm tech? So I assume you've seen what it's like. You should have a pretty clear picture if it's for you or not.

Yeah Gravy, I guess my alias gives away that I'm a pharmacy tech. I really do like my job, and it's even retail. I work with awesome people...the job can sometimes get monotonous and hectic sometimes but I still enjoy it. I was just thinking that other retail chains would not be as pleasant. I'm not going to name the chain I work for, but I'm sure it's a lot better than working for your average chain. Ya, I also think that nursing would be a little worse than pharm. I guess I'll just wait till April to see if I'm even accepted to pharm school or not! Thanks for your responses.

Originally posted by pharmtech77
Hey, for those of you who've visited www.pharmacyweek.com , what do you think? Do you think it gives a valid depiction of the pharmacy world? There's one poster ("Slaver" or "UnionYES")who is continually negative and it gets on my nerves. Please tell me not all pharmacists feel the same way as him.

Everyone goes through this phase in their professional post graduate development. Pharmacy school blows sunshine up your butt making sure you graduate with a head so big you can barely get through the door. After graduation there is a period of serious attitude adjustment and ego deflation which can take years. Some never adjust.

It's a job, it's a profession like any other. It is also what you make of it. You can go to dream professions (airline pilot physician lawyer) and find the same bitchfest. Trust me on this.
my brother IS an airline pilot. I watched him go through this phase. I knew a hard charging physician who started selling Amway on the side to get off the treadmill (go figure)

It is all part of growing up. Everyone wants to be Marty Stoufer with the wind blowing in his hair when they are stuck bumper to bumper in the morning rat race to work

If I was more proficient with SDN, I would have posted a few of those clapping, grinning yellow guys. ;) That was a great and reassuring post, Baggy. Thanks. Gravy, you've been great too.

This is off the subject, but how do I make some of those animated faces in my posts? Also, how does one reference a previous post in their post (like how Baggy referenced mine)? I'm still fairly new to SDN, so was just wonderin'. :)

So happy for SDN! :D

JE

If I was more proficient with SDN, I would have posted a few of those clapping, grinning yellow guys. ;) That was a great and reassuring post, Baggy. Thanks. Gravy, you've been great too.

This is off the subject, but how do I make some of those animated faces in my posts? Also, how does one reference a previous post in their post (like how Baggy referenced mine)? I'm still fairly new to SDN, so was just wonderin'. :)

So happy for SDN! :D

JE

At the bottom right hand corner of the post u will see a quote button. As far as the smileys...u can just click on ones to the left of the text box when you are posting....I also think u can link img files from elsewhere off the net...not sure

And don't listen to Slaver. He's not even a currently practicing pharmacist and seems to be having an identity crisis. Though, I have to admit, he does make reading pharmacyweek a lot more interesting.

Well well, I hate it when I just finish a post and then the message gets lost in cyberspace... argh ugh. Anyway, here goes again....

Yeah, even though Slaver has made me rethink pharmacy a few times, I've finally realized that it all comes to what my heart is telling me to do...which means not listening to Slaver. But, I must admit that the drama at pharmacyweek is pretty addicting...my only kudos to Slaver for keeping us entertained. ;)

Take care y'all. Better go study organic chem :(

Sometimes I feel like, even though there are many unhappy pharmacists, it seems like nursing would become even more dissatisfying...seems like there's more burnout in the nursing field.

Nursing is a wonderful and honorable field but unfortunately, i've heard this too. one of my close friends JUST entered the nursing field and already she's unhappy for a number of different reasons. apparently she's not the only one, as many of her classmates/colleagues seem to feel the same way. but the best people to ask are the nurses themselves. hopefully you're checking out the nursing forum here on sdn. they can tell you about the good, the bad, and the ugly. i don't know which profession is "better" for you but as a technician at least you are familiar w/pharmacy and know the evils associated w/it. good luck w/everything.