Pharmacy residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nadeenayad

Reaction score
Hello all,
Does anyone here have any experience about ranking a new residency program that is not yet ASHP accredited?

I had a total of 3 interviews and one of them was a new program who hasn't had any pharmacy residents yet and need that first year in order to get their accreditation. Although, all the preceptors sounded like they knew what they were doing and were confident about getting the accreditation, this still makes a me a little nervous. Does anyone have any advice? Im getting more and more nervous each day as the match day approaches. This for sure is the most stressed i have ever been lol.

Good luck to you all!!
Nadeen

Members don't see this ad.

If you haven’t already, check out the r/pharmacyresidency threads where this is being discussed.

My 2 cents is that you’ll essentially be the one building the program. I know there are a couple of RPDs on the boards that can chip in.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with above - if you're not afraid to pioneer a little and pave the way for future residents, it's a good experience especially if they have good preceptors. If they get accredited after you graduate, you essentially reap the benefit of that despite it not being accredited when you were a resident.

I don't know about residencies, since they have to be accredited, how that would change the dynamics - but I was the first-ever fellow in my fellowship program, and then I went on to build a function from scratch at a small pharma, so I have been a trailblazer twice... there are challenges that come with the territory, but for me the benefits far outweigh them. I was not a "new Mary" and I was not stuck with "that's how we have always done things" but had input into everything. Sometimes very frustrating, but mostly very rewarding. But in situations like that, it all comes down to the people you are going to be working with, chemistry is far more important than if you are coming to a large established program. Go with your gut feeling on that, don't overthink it.

Reactions: 1 user