Pharmacy or Optometry

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopefuloptom

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Before the past week I was sooo sure that I wanted to become an Optometrist...but I've been reading all the negative posts on Optometry here and else where and it's making me rethink a career in Optometry (let alone putting all that money on schooling). I've thought Dentistry, but something about drilling teeth gives me pain--it actually reminds me of nails on a chalkboard :hungover:

Pharmacy is appealing to me because I love to know how medicine interacts with the body and just having the knowledge of which med goes to which disease or symptoms interests me. But I looked at the Pharmacy forums and they too are negative about the career!

It's actually really depressing! In such a long time, I've never felt so lost. Why is everyone so negative about Optometry ("It's a dying profession", "No respect", "salary is decreasing", "Not enough jobs" etc..)????

I know posting on an Optometry forum is going to give me very biased info, but part of the "Forum Rules" I can't actually re-post this in the Pharmacy forum (or can I?). I've looked at previous posts about the same subject but they are all really old, about 6-7 years ago.

As practicing Optometrists, if you were to choose between the two which one would it be and why? Would you do it again (Optometry) or what would you have changed that would probably have affected your career and or decision in your career choice?

Any comment on any side is welcome, I want to get the full realistic picture before I commit to one choice.

Thanks ahead of time and sorry to any of those who are annoyed at these types of questions. And I'm not here to start any trolling or anything.

Members don't see this ad.

You have to realize, people get keyboard courage and like to post negative things on forums. Now some of these bad things can be exaggerated but many trolls actually bring up some good points. I say, shadow both optometrists and pharmacists and then figure out what you want to do with your life. I say spend a longer time looking for a trail-head rather than just bushwhacking your way into an unknown forest.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello,

Before the past week I was sooo sure that I wanted to become an Optometrist...but I've been reading all the negative posts on Optometry here and else where and it's making me rethink a career in Optometry (let alone putting all that money on schooling). I've thought Dentistry, but something about drilling teeth gives me pain--it actually reminds me of nails on a chalkboard :hungover:

Pharmacy is appealing to me because I love to know how medicine interacts with the body and just having the knowledge of which med goes to which disease or symptoms interests me. But I looked at the Pharmacy forums and they too are negative about the career!

It's actually really depressing! In such a long time, I've never felt so lost. Why is everyone so negative about Optometry ("It's a dying profession", "No respect", "salary is decreasing", "Not enough jobs" etc..)????

Thanks ahead of time and sorry to any of those who are annoyed at these types of questions. And I'm not here to start any trolling or anything.

Because all of those things are true. lol

But seriously....if there was one thing I wish I could impart on people considering optometry as a career is that you need a plan before you enter school. You need a specific plan for the career that you envision for yourself and how you plan on making that happen.

It's hard because it requires you to be more aware of the issues facing optometry and for undergraduate students, you usually don't have the right frame of reference.

But if you have a plan, you can make good money in this field.

Because all of those things are true. lol

But seriously....if there was one thing I wish I could impart on people considering optometry as a career is that you need a plan before you enter school. You need a specific plan for the career that you envision for yourself and how you plan on making that happen.

It's hard because it requires you to be more aware of the issues facing optometry and for undergraduate students, you usually don't have the right frame of reference.

But if you have a plan, you can make good money in this field.

So they are all true?? :( Do you regret being an Optometrist? Do you not like it or are having a hard time? As the salary is decreasing for the Optometrist, how then can anyone enter the field (or stay in the field) knowing that in the future they may struggle with living?

When you say plan, what do you mean? Like a business plan? Paying-back-your-loans plan? :confused: Can you give me an example of a plan that you would pursue? (or have?)

Wanted to add: You know it's funny, you rarely see Dentists talking about such concerns...it just seems soo stable and stress free... *sigh*

Last edited:
So they are all true?? :( Do you regret being an Optometrist? Do you not like it or are having a hard time? As the salary is decreasing for the Optometrist, how then can anyone enter the field (or stay in the field) knowing that in the future they may struggle with living?

When you say plan, what do you mean? Like a business plan? Paying-back-your-loans plan? :confused: Can you give me an example of a plan that you would pursue? (or have?)

Wanted to add: You know it's funny, you rarely see Dentists talking about such concerns...it just seems soo stable and stress free... *sigh*

You obviously have some sort of vision for your career. What is it?

Do you anticipate owning your own practice?
Do you anticipate working for the VA or in some setting like that?
Do you anticipate working in a commercial setting?

Once you decide that, then you have to constantly work at making that happen. Constantly educate yourself on the issues facing any of those modes of practice so that when you're done you'll be prepared to go after it.

Optometry has been very good to me. It has been financially rewarding and personally rewarding as well. I would hate being a dentist because of dealing with so much pain. I never considered Pharmacy because I never really liked chemistry. I like math and there is a lot of algebra in optics and I like people, so I could have been a math teacher, but I like 1 on 1 rather than a whole room to deal with, and optometry pays a lot better. I first worked in an HMO for many years, then in commercial practice a little to pay the bills when my private practice started, now in private group practice for what seems like forever (over 20 years).

My only real complaint is that primary care MDs are educated by ophthmologists during their med school rotations that if you don't refer to an ophthalmologist instead of an optometrist for anything medically eye related they are taking a risk with their patient so primary care MDs pretty much follow this to the letter throughout their professional career. Also general ophthalmologists find it financially rewarding to propagate this myth and exaggerate the myth whenever we propose an expansion of our scope of practice, which we have successfully done repeated times in every state in the country!

Just about every path is fraught with uncertainty, no matter which career you choose, but if you are excellent at what you do, and you enjoy what you do, it should work out fine. Maybe even in dentistry or pharmacy :)

The best reason to become an optometrist is because you really like the work of optometry.

There are challenges, and there is a lot of concern about the number of new schools and grads. I have been doing this 25 years and still like going to work each morning.

Unlike some people, I don't label every single negative post as the work of trolls, but rather try to understand what is behind the negative attitude. There are unhappy people in every profession, and ours is no different.

I am generally positive about things, unless I am irritated by the know-it-all attitudes of some of our pre-opt students who weren't even born when I started my practice!

Spend a month volunteering at each in each of the fields you are interested in. Make sure you volunteer with a seasoned vetern, not a newbie doc. That why they can pass down some words of wisdom to you.

Enjoy the journey of exploration. There is no short cut.

Hello,

I know posting on an Optometry forum is going to give me very biased info, but part of the "Forum Rules" I can't actually re-post this in the Pharmacy forum (or can I?). I've looked at previous posts about the same subject but they are all really old, about 6-7 years ago.

As practicing Optometrists, if you were to choose between the two which one would it be and why? Would you do it again (Optometry) or what would you have changed that would probably have affected your career and or decision in your career choice?

Any comment on any side is welcome, I want to get the full realistic picture before I commit to one choice.

Having a plan is a good idea for anyone planning on entry into a profession, but in the case of optometry, depending on what your interests are, it's just not enough. If you're up for a career in the VA or another hospital setting, you'll certainly be able to do that as long as you're willing to relocate. If you're up for a career at Walmart or Sam's Club, you certainly can do that since that's where the majority of grads are going these days. If you're up for a career at America's Best or StantonOptical, you're in luck, those places will always be hiring ODs to slave away in their dungeons, cranking out 65 or more SRx/CLRx's per day using almost none of their training. BUT, if you're hoping to get out of school and open your own office or purchase someone else's hard work, you'd better have a lot more than a plan. You need to have a way to sidestep the problems that are slowly collapsing the profession. Those things aren't going away; they're only going to get worse.

The career has run out of gas, but it's still coasting because of the momentum of well-established private offices. The people who jump on board now are climbing onto a slowly stalling vehicle, and they'll pay dearly for the ticket to get on. It's nearly impossible for an applicant to see the true picture of optometry. You have to rely on what others with more experience tell you and use that to form your own opinion.

Anyone who is entering optometry with the hopes of buying and then maintaining a successful private practice should be very careful. The obstacles to entering and succeeding in private practice optometry in an ownership position are extremely high and will only get higher. The cost of an OD is increasing and the income for all ODs is decreasing for many reasons. Because of that, it will be harder and harder for PP optometrists to make ends meet, particularly solo ODs. I believe that solo ODs will be the first to go extinct over the next 10-15 years. It seems almost inevitable given the current changes taking place. I don't care that there are some PP ODs doing well right now; that does not have anything to do with what future grads will be able to do. They might as well be in a different profession entirely.

As I've said before many times, I'm not on here telling anyone not to go into optometry. What I am telling them is that the "picture" of optometry that they are purchasing for around 200K is not what they're going to get. They're buying into a very different profession than the one they see today. The one they see today is already gone, they just don't know it yet. Doing your homework, planning ahead, creating a strategy sounds great on paper, but it won't change all of the serious problems future ODs will face, particularly younger ones.

To wrap up, having a plan is great, but sometimes what you're planning for is simply not practical. I could plan on how to build a spacecraft in my backyard to get myself to the moon and it might look good on paper, but when I set out to complete the task, I'd find out that the completion task is simply not practical. Optometry is the same way. It all sounds "doable," but when it comes down to it, the private practice side of the profession is collapsing. Planning ahead is only going to get you so far.

A final thought - I disagree with the suggestion that applicants focus on older, wiser ODs for their guidance when it comes to making a decision about entering vs not entering optometry. Older ODs fought a very different battle than today's and tomorrow's young ODs. They can certainly give a wealth of information to applicants, but in my opinion, it's the newer ODs (out less than 10 years) who can offer the more realistic perspective about what to expect after graduation. If I were looking at optometry, I'd be talking to as many ODs as I could, both younger and older, to get the full picture.

Last edited:
Jason K, I understand that private practice optometry in the future is not going to be the same as it has been in the past, or even the same as it is currently. But for those of us not interested in private practice optometry (I'm interested in working for a government agency), does this mean the outlook is still bleak?

I know that the goal of many (most?) people in optometry school is to work at a private practice at some point, so do you think they will turn to government agencies at higher numbers looking for jobs due to the decreasing amount of opportunities in private practice? And I know that there are not that many agencies hiring at this point.

Don't government agencies pay like nothing (~65k) because so many people apply to jobs using more medical optometry? I'm really not sure about this. I just saw it anecdotally.

Jason K, I understand that private practice optometry in the future is not going to be the same as it has been in the past, or even the same as it is currently. But for those of us not interested in private practice optometry (I'm interested in working for a government agency), does this mean the outlook is still bleak?

I know that the goal of many (most?) people in optometry school is to work at a private practice at some point, so do you think they will turn to government agencies at higher numbers looking for jobs due to the decreasing amount of opportunities in private practice? And I know that there are not that many agencies hiring at this point.

There aren't that many ODs in government employment. I think the number is only a couple of percent of all ODs in practice.

Members don't see this ad :)
A final thought - I disagree with the suggestion that applicants focus on older, wiser ODs for their guidance when it comes to making a decision about entering vs not entering optometry. Older ODs fought a very different battle than today's and tomorrow's young ODs. They can certainly give a wealth of information to applicants, but in my opinion, it's the newer ODs (out less than 10 years) who can offer the more realistic perspective about what to expect after graduation. If I were looking at optometry, I'd be talking to as many ODs as I could, both younger and older, to get the full picture.

I have to agree with this. I graduated 25 years ago with a fraction of the student debt people have today. I don't think most ODs who've been out this long realize how expensive the education is these days. I make a point of talking to lots of recent grads so I think I have a pretty good idea what they're going through, but I don't think this is something most practicing ODs are doing.

I don't have a good answer for what the future will do to the numbers of grads seeking government positions. Right now, FT VA positions are harder to come by than FT IHS positions, most likely due to the location of most IHS clinics and hospitals. I would guess the competition might increase as the quality of work and the pay in private sector optometry (non-government) decreases further, and believe me, it will.

Government OD positions do not pay well annually, but over the long-term, it's not as bad as it seems once retirement and benefits are factored in. I know some IHS docs nearing their 20 year mark and they'll be taking a good portion of their full salary indefinitely into retirement. If you live another 30 years, that's a lot of money. Pensions are getting crushed these days, though so there's no reason to be comfortable thinking that the solid pensions of today will be around for those retiring in 25 years.

My overall point was that ODs in hospital-based positions, whether VA or otherwise, will be somewhat separated from all the turmoil that private practice optometry is and will be facing. Their pay, however, will be subject to market forces so income will likely drop just like it will for all other ODs. It's important to keep in mind, however, that as EyesOnly points out, we're talking about a very small slice of optometry, just a few percent. It's not going to be a safe haven for significant numbers of grads who will need a place to land after graduation.

Last edited:
Pharmacy with a career of private practice is dead, it's pretty much commercial now. Optometry is suffering from oversupply and is moving into commercial how pharmacy has done, but it isn't completely commercial yet, if things don't change, it will be just like commercial pharmacy in my opinion.

Pharmacy is oversupply and not enough jobs.

Optometry is oversupply and moving into commercial optometry.

Dentistry just has distribution of practice, too much in one place, but there is by no means any surplus of them.

Optometry will be different from how you envision it from today compared to the future. Unregulated glasses and contact dispensers, quick rapid refraction (which is stupid because awareness of patient care is declined), and sales are key to keep on going.

By the way, any optometrists that have graduated recently here? If you are willing to share, tell us how you're initial job hunt was going and did you land in private or commercial optometry? Usually part time positions are always available, just full time is very hard to come by.

The debt for optometry school is not worth the return of investment some believe, especially because incomes are declining for the field. Just be cautious for the future of the field if you are going into optometry and don't get your hopes up, luck is needed to land an associate position in a private practice.

Though, I don't think LASIK patients will be sent to a Wal-Mart for their post-surgery care, that would be just outright stupid considering they just do refraction nowadays.

Also, I recall reading somewhere that residency in optometry will no longer defer your loan payments for a year, that is going to be really tough for s 30K+ residency position.

Optometry school tuition needs to be declined!

I have to agree with this. I graduated 25 years ago with a fraction of the student debt people have today. I don't think most ODs who've been out this long realize how expensive the education is these days. I make a point of talking to lots of recent grads so I think I have a pretty good idea what they're going through, but I don't think this is something most practicing ODs are doing.

Curious to know how much your degree cost back then. How much did you make your first few years out, and was that enough to pay back your tuition? Sorry if this is a bit too personal.

Curious to know how much your degree cost back then. How much did you make your first few years out, and was that enough to pay back your tuition? Sorry if this is a bit too personal.

I'll answer that in terms of today's dollars (adjusted for inflation), which is much more meaningful.

I had average debt for my graduation year. In today's dollars that would be about $60,000. My student loans were paid off in 7 years (the loan term was 8 years for govt. loans back then).

I started my own practice and did not have outside employment. I borrowed enough money (including 6 months of operating expenses) that I could live off the practice (I basically continued to live like a student). I found an area to practice that needed me and was in the black (making profits) the first year. I had a decent income within three years (equivalent to $100,000 in today's dollars). The only real negative compared to today is that interest rates on business loans were a lot higher back then (10-11%, a recession had just ended). I paid my business loan off early because of the high interest rate.

What are the differences today?

Educational costs have increased at least double the rate of inflation. My tuition was less than $5,000 per year. The most expensive school at that time was about $15,000 per year. I think in those days UH was less than $1,000 per year!

There are fewer communities where ODs are in enough demand that you get going so quickly in practice.

We have a greater scope of practice, more responsibility and greater liability, yet the incomes are about the same. People in my class that took commercial jobs got about $100,000 in today's dollars.

Because of the changes in the economy and what has happened to investments, ODs who were planning to retire soon will have to work longer. If the retirement of baby boomer ODs is part of a formula for determining the manpower needs in this profession in the future, then those projections are flawed. Most the ODs I know that are 60+ years of age have no plans to retire anytime soon. All of us who are self employed are responsible for our own retirements and its hard to build a retirement fund when the stock market and real estate are so crazy.

I think optometry is still a good profession as long as you know what you are getting in to. I make most of my income selling glasses. Am I ok with that...yes, its the way its always been. If I were considering optometry today I would have a plan (as previously stated in earlier posts), and keep my student debt as low as possible. This gives you more options when you graduate. You can start a practice with $200,000 in student debts, but will you? And regardless of what some people post on this forum, you can't live the way you want to with $2,000 in monthly student loan payments.

Pharmacy with a career of private practice is dead, it's pretty much commercial now. Optometry is suffering from oversupply and is moving into commercial how pharmacy has done, but it isn't completely commercial yet, if things don't change, it will be just like commercial pharmacy in my opinion.

Optometry will be different from how you envision it from today compared to the future!

Exactly put. Its not a dead profession, that's bad wording. It's a different profession. Many people just do not want to accept change. When you graduate, I doubt you will be unemployed as an OD. But you will certainly have to consider commercial practice and relocation to undesirable areas, all while carrying a considerable amount of student debt. No one will disagree with this.

Just realize as was stated above, that optometry is MUCH more commercial than x20yrs ago. Great strides have been made as far as scope expansion, but the bulk of many ODs salary is still based on the sale of glasses.

And so if you step back and look at it for what its worth, I'm sure you can guess that it will be much similar to the pharmacy today: Majority retail and very few hospital and private practice opportunities.

Good luck in the decision :xf:

Thanks to all that replied. I will definitely weigh all the info given and with plan out accordingly. I plan on shadowing both professionals in hoping that one will "click" with me and that I will love doing no matter what the outcome. I believe that if you truly love what you are doing, then eventually what you are doing won't fail you and the money will come. (At least I hope that this belief won't leave me in the dark!)

I plan on shadowing both professionals in hoping that one will "click" with me and that I will love doing no matter what the outcome. I believe that if you truly love what you are doing, then eventually what you are doing won't fail you and the money will come. (At least I hope that this belief won't leave me in the dark!)

Just be mindful that the large, successful OD practices of today were created at a very different time in optometry's development. Going into an office, talking to an older OD, and thinking that you can see yourself doing what he's doing is a dangerous mindset. Be happy with the optometry that is there for you in the future......commercial. Look at commercial optometry and make sure you'll be ok with that if it comes to that. If what you truly think you'd enjoy is a thriving private practice which you own all or part of, make sure you have some other areas in optometry that you'd be satisfied with. If you're banking everything on private practice, odds are that you will not reach your end goal. Sorry to break it to you, but better now than 10 years from now. Most of your colleagues will be graduating into careers in commercial optometry since that's the way the profession is heading. Truly loving what you do will be harder and harder as the profession moves forward. As for the money coming, depending on what your view of "money" is, it may or may not come, regardless of how much you love what you're doing.

I think to answer which is better optometry or pharmacy is very difficult and very subjective and largely depends on one person...you. No one profession is "better" than other. It depends on what you want in life workwise, lifestylewise, moneywise etc.. For one person the only answer may be neurosurgery..For someone else it may be ski bum and waiter. No one on this board can answer that question for you.

I'll answer that in terms of today's dollars (adjusted for inflation), which is much more meaningful.

I had average debt for my graduation year. In today's dollars that would be about $60,000. My student loans were paid off in 7 years (the loan term was 8 years for govt. loans back then).

I started my own practice and did not have outside employment. I borrowed enough money (including 6 months of operating expenses) that I could live off the practice (I basically continued to live like a student). I found an area to practice that needed me and was in the black (making profits) the first year. I had a decent income within three years (equivalent to $100,000 in today's dollars). The only real negative compared to today is that interest rates on business loans were a lot higher back then (10-11%, a recession had just ended). I paid my business loan off early because of the high interest rate.

What are the differences today?

Educational costs have increased at least double the rate of inflation. My tuition was less than $5,000 per year. The most expensive school at that time was about $15,000 per year. I think in those days UH was less than $1,000 per year!

There are fewer communities where ODs are in enough demand that you get going so quickly in practice.

We have a greater scope of practice, more responsibility and greater liability, yet the incomes are about the same. People in my class that took commercial jobs got about $100,000 in today's dollars.

Because of the changes in the economy and what has happened to investments, ODs who were planning to retire soon will have to work longer. If the retirement of baby boomer ODs is part of a formula for determining the manpower needs in this profession in the future, then those projections are flawed. Most the ODs I know that are 60+ years of age have no plans to retire anytime soon. All of us who are self employed are responsible for our own retirements and its hard to build a retirement fund when the stock market and real estate are so crazy.

I think optometry is still a good profession as long as you know what you are getting in to. I make most of my income selling glasses. Am I ok with that...yes, its the way its always been. If I were considering optometry today I would have a plan (as previously stated in earlier posts), and keep my student debt as low as possible. This gives you more options when you graduate. You can start a practice with $200,000 in student debts, but will you? And regardless of what some people post on this forum, you can't live the way you want to with $2,000 in monthly student loan payments.

But haven't most other professional schools become more expensive too?

Optometry might be a bad deal for 200k but is pharmacy any better for 150k?

I'm not a huge fan of the future of optometry but it has to be better than pharmacy. I can't imagine a more boring job than counting pills and arguing with drug addicts for more oxycotin at Walgreens or Walmart.

Dentistry is still the way to go in the health care world. They have been, up till now, the most immune to market forces in the health care arena.

But haven't most other professional schools become more expensive too?

Optometry might be a bad deal for 200k but is pharmacy any better for 150k?

The point is that while the cost of an optometric education has risen significantly, the incomes have just kept pace with inflation.

I can't tell you what has happened in pharmacy because I'm not a pharmacist.

I think to answer which is better optometry or pharmacy is very difficult and very subjective and largely depends on one person...you. No one profession is "better" than other. It depends on what you want in life workwise, lifestylewise, moneywise etc.. For one person the only answer may be neurosurgery..For someone else it may be ski bum and waiter. No one on this board can answer that question for you.

:thumbup: True. 2 totally different fields. Different amounts of schooling also.

Hello,

I feel the EXACT way right now.:( I have exams coming up and I cant focus now. I always thought of doing pharmacy or optometry. Now I've almost been accepted into pharmacy and I'm hearing so many negative things. I would have wanted to open up my own pharmacy if I were to do pharm but it seems close to impossible. So i'm not sure if I should wait a year and apply for opt. next year (im in second year).

What did you end up doing????

I feel the EXACT way right now.:( I have exams coming up and I cant focus now. I always thought of doing pharmacy or optometry. Now I've almost been accepted into pharmacy and I'm hearing so many negative things. I would have wanted to open up my own pharmacy if I were to do pharm but it seems close to impossible. So i'm not sure if I should wait a year and apply for opt. next year (im in second year).

What did you end up doing????

Welcome to SDN. This thread is quite old (dates are posted in top left corner). You may have better luck with a PM to the poster rather than hoping they see this thread.