This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

djdannyboy

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I'm Danny. I'm currently a pharmacy student at Midwestern University in AZ. I completed my 1st year already and i have 2 more years left. I was wondering how the pharmacist job market is in California(since i was born and raised there) and any advice to get my foot in the door or set myself up to be able to get a job? Getting a retail job is a last resort for me but any place that has a pharmacist working there i'm open to it. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Sorry, the state is closed.

Reactions: 1 users
Get an inpatient intern job locally and apply to PGY-1 programs in CA, AZ, and nationally.

Once you’re PGY-1 trained at minimum (3 years experience post-PGY1 in a clinical/hybrid role preferred), you’ll be competitive for most starting inpatient positions.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with Confettiflyer my only addition is get involved too with a few relevant organization, SSHP, APHA or AMCP ( if you re trying to do managed care).

Aim for relevant leadership position like President, Vice President or Secretary. Getting a residency is getting tougher and tougher so just been a diabetes co-Chair or an historian may not be competitive enough by the time you re applying. Get your CV polished and reviewed multiple times, get involved with as many clinically relevant research project and publications.

Also if you search the forum you ll see several comments too on how you can be more competitive for a post graduate residency/ fellowship. Good luck

Hi, I'm Danny. I'm currently a pharmacy student at Midwestern University in AZ. I completed my 1st year already and i have 2 more years left. I was wondering how the pharmacist job market is in California(since i was born and raised there) and any advice to get my foot in the door or set myself up to be able to get a job? Getting a retail job is a last resort for me but any place that has a pharmacist working there i'm open to it. Thanks in advance.

State is quite large. If you're ok with central CA and certain parts of northern CA, maybe you'll land something.
Network, network, and network some more.

California doesn't have enough pharmacist! That's why we need more new pharmacy schools( chapman, wcu, chsu, cnucp, kgi, marshallB etc..)and UC Irvine open pharmacy school in 2019! Boom Boom Boom!

California doesn't have enough pharmacist! That's why we need more new pharmacy schools( chapman, wcu, chsu, cnucp, kgi, marshallB etc..)and UC Irvine open pharmacy school in 2019! Boom Boom Boom!

Need more pharmacies as well! Picking up meds from CVS is typically a time-consuming somewhat painful experience....or maybe it's an opportunity to train oneself to have more inner tranquility and patience:confused: