Pharmacy calculation problem

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bdyoon

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can someone help me with this calc problem?

Medication order: j. doe's epidural infusion: fentanyl 2 mcg/ml and bupivicaine 0.125% at 10 ml/hour. prepare a label listing ingredients and quantities (ml). The bag should last 24 hours and be mixed with NS. Why NS?

Is it just 240ml of total?
Any advice on tackling this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I got 480 mcg of fentanyl and 0.3 g of bupivicaine. But what does teh question mean by quantity in ml?? It's 240 ml total isn't it? (10ml/hour multiplied by 24 hours)

Sounds like the question is incomplete.

Members don't see this ad :)
so yes...240 mL means the total quantity (solution) and the other ingredients are in mcg/grams to be mixed

Awsome!!! Awsome!!!! Awsome!!!!

We haven't had a calulations question in ages!!!! Here I thought it was summer and all the students had gone away.

My day is now complete. There has been a random calculations question posted....SWEET!!!!:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Awsome!!! Awsome!!!! Awsome!!!!

We haven't had a calulations question in ages!!!! Here I thought it was summer and all the students had gone away.

My day is now complete. There has been a random calculations question posted....SWEET!!!!:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:

Was waiting for this response. . .

I got 480 mcg of fentanyl and 0.3 g of bupivicaine. But what does teh question mean by quantity in ml?? It's 240 ml total isn't it? (10ml/hour multiplied by 24 hours)

I don't think you understand the question. The question is asking is how many mL of stock drug must you inject into the bag to get your calculated mg of fentanyl and bupivicaine.

That's all I'm giving you.

Is the 2 mcg/ml the ratio of the fentanyl:solution needed in the bag or is it how it comes in stock before adding to the bag?

Same for the bupivicaine 0.125%, is that in solution or how it comes in stock before adding?

Are the stock bags pre-filled with NS and how much?

Forgive my ignorance, I'll be starting my 1st year in the fall.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I will be taking a 1 credit course as a P1 student titled "Pharmacy Calculations", and I'd like to have an idea what to expect in it. What kind of math is involved? A lot of calculus? I did well in Cal, but it's been two years since I took the course. Thanks for your replies.

I don't mean to hijack this thread, but I will be taking a 1 credit course as a P1 student titled "Pharmacy Calculations", and I'd like to have an idea what to expect in it. What kind of math is involved? A lot of calculus? I did well in Cal, but it's been two years since I took the course. Thanks for your replies.

You do not need calculus. The calculations are pretty basic: dilutions/concentrations, tonicity adjustments, conversions, aliquots, etc.

Make sure you figure out how to use ratios and you should be good to go.