Pharmacology to Medicine

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AndyH1

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I am a student in Scotland studying BSc with honours in Pharmacology. I plan on applying to medical school once I graduate. I would like to know how similar a degree in pharmacology is to a medical degree, obviously with respect to the scientific background and not clinical skills as we tend to focus mainly on laboratory skills and techniques instead.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

They are completely different. PhD is a research degree where you would work in a laboratory or for big pharma an unlikely you would see patients, medical school degree you see patients, very little labwork.

I think what he really means to ask is how well does his pharmacology BSc degree will help prepare him for medicine. Specifically I think he implies that he is preparing to apply for graduate entry medicine. In this case, your pharmacology degree would have adequately prepared you. This is because a full graduate entry medical degree still covers all of the foundation material, just in two years. By completing a bachalor's degree in science, you have proven that you can grasp science quickly enough for this. It would particularly help however if you take a few electives in the basic sciences like physics, biology, chemistry, prior to enrolling.