pharmacokinetics. That subject looks scary to me.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

glowinglimabean

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I work in a science library, so I am usually tempted to check out books regarding my future profession. Pharmaceutical calculations does not seem too intimidating but pharmacokinetics looks like a headache. I am getting nervous about what awaits for me in pharmacy school. Mainly because I have not taken a math course in 6 years. Calculus was not my forte and it looks like they are integrating and deriving in this subject. It would make me feel better if someone enjoyed taking this class.

Members don't see this ad.

Human body is like a bucket with a hole.... you put the drug in... the drug comes out through the hole... how hard is that?

Size of the bucket is the volume of distribution... and amount of drug divided by the size of the bucket is the concentration. The size of the hole determines how fast the drug will be eliminated...

Why must this topic be difficult? It aint.

Members don't see this ad :)
I might be a freak :) but I actually like PK! It's kinda fun!

I felt the same way after looking at PK lecture powerpoints. The thing is though, if the profs didnt go over ridiculous derivations and integrations, their lecture time would be cut 50-75%. My prof spends/wastes time going over the integrations and everything when all you need is the final equation where you plug and chug. As long as you know how to substitute figures and are comfortable with logarithms the math turns out to be not as scary as it looks.

I felt the same way after looking at PK lecture powerpoints. The thing is though, if the profs didnt go over ridiculous derivations and integrations, their lecture time would be cut 50-75%. My prof spends/wastes time going over the integrations and everything when all you need is the final equation where you plug and chug. As long as you know how to substitute figures and are comfortable with logarithms the math turns out to be not as scary as it looks.

My Pk prof actually made a point when he came to the calculus portions of our equations to say "you don't need to know this, I won't go over it, but here it is in case you want it." Then he would actually go on to the final equations that really mattered and go through lots of iterations of them. It made the class much easier. But his test questions were usually pretty hard - he would put down problems that required the use of 3 or more different equations and then have us do crazy algebra to work out the final answers. I'm happy with the B I got in that class.

I have two exams next week with one being in this class. I'm scared :scared:. My professor likes to mix in tricky stuff into the questions. I'll have to remember that log values do not have units. I'm just waiting for the questions that have the same log answer twice- one with units and one without units.

We went over integration, but it wasn't the main focus. I'm so tired of the y = mx + b equation. The IV stuff is cool so far. It makes sense to me- steady state, maximum concentration, etc.

I didn't think it was hard, but most of my classmates disagreed. :D Unlike them, I took analytical chemistry with a very hard professor when I was in undergrad, after than pharmacokinetics is like walking on clouds. :p