Pharmacist's applying to Medical School?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BenU29

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey everyone, this is my first post on this forum. I'm 20 years old who just completed my pre-pharm, and I'm going to attend pharmacy school at Midwestern University in Illinois this upcoming fall.

My question centers around the idea of becoming a pharmacist and then applying to medical school. Does anybody know if you are at a disadvantage going this route? I figured that instead of going 4 years undergraduate, and then applying to medical school, it would be a better option to do 2 years pre-pharm, plus 4 years pharmacy school, and then apply to medical school. In essence, it's only a 2 year difference and I would always have my PharmD degree to fall back on.

Are any of you thinking of going this route?

Members don't see this ad.

I don't think that many of us are considering that route for two reasons. First, now that pharmacy has moved to the PharmD, it takes a lot of time and a lot of dedication to finish. Most of the people who are willing to put 6-8 years of school into the pharmD, want to actually use it. Pharmacy students go to school because they want to be pharmacists. Medical students go to school because they want to be doctors. Pharmacy school is so competitive lately, that many schools require or give a very high preference to students who have already completed a BS or 4 years of college.

The second reason is that tuition is very high for graduate school (usually 2-3x more than undergrad). 2-4 years of pre pharm, + 4 years of pharmacy school + 4 years of medical school could easily leave you with 300k of debt at a private school (such as MWU - IL). People graduating with a PharmD could make 100k/year fresh out of school. It's tough to turn 100k/year down and instead take another 150k in loans for medical school, only to graduate and have a 3-5 year residency that pays far less than 100k.
(edit to add this fancy part)

After the 4 years of medical school, a little math leaves you at:
Graduate pharmd, get job for 4 years = +$400,000
Graduate pharmd, go to med school @25k/year=-$100,000
Or after 7 years:
Graduate pharmd, get job for 7 years = $700,000
Graduate pharmd, go to med school @25k/year, do 3 year residency at 45k/year=+$35,000
So, 4 years after you graduate with a pharmacy degree, you could essentially be $500,000 behind (HALF A MILLION DOLLARS!)
At 7 years, you would be $665,000 behind. That's a lot of work and a lot of money.

It's certainly not impossible to do, but I'd like to have a house and a life when I'm 30, and not 300k of debt and an 80-hour work week. :thumbup:

You may want to think carefully about the degree you really WANT to pursue. There are more than a few applicants out there who would die for that pharm school seat you are about to take. Some of those applicants probably worked for years as techs and have a desire to become pharmacists upon graduation, not use the Pharm.D. degree as a "fallback".

Jd also makes a good point about tuition.

Good luck!

Members don't see this ad :)
i agree. you should figure out what you wanna do. if you wanna go to med school, just do your best to get in. Getting a pharmd before going to med school is a waste of time and money. but of course, it's your choice. if you have the time and money to do so, go ahead. good luck

jdpharmd? said:
After the 4 years of medical school, a little math leaves you at:
Graduate pharmd, get job for 4 years = +$400,000
Graduate pharmd, go to med school @25k/year=-$100,000
Or after 7 years:
Graduate pharmd, get job for 7 years = $700,000
Graduate pharmd, go to med school @25k/year, do 3 year residency at 45k/year=+$35,000
So, 4 years after you graduate with a pharmacy degree, you could essentially be $500,000 behind (HALF A MILLION DOLLARS!)
At 7 years, you would be $665,000 behind. That's a lot of work and a lot of money.

5 more years working as pharmacist: $500,000
5 years working as physician (avg): $1,000,000

At that point, you are caught up. Although med school costs more, and pharmacists make less, on average, than the figures you're using. But it's basically a wash.

I read about someone with very similar plan as yours on an online pharmacy magazine. :)
Think about what JD already said - it takes a lot of motivation to study all those years. I think I would be burnt out as PharmD has a grueling curriculum. But if you really want to do this then go for it.

Samoa said:

At that point, you are caught up. Although med school costs more, and pharmacists make less, on average, than the figures you're using. But it's basically a wash.

So after 12 and a half years you're all caught up and able to spend your $200k on "fun" things. Like a boat, trips around the world and such, but where's the time? Is it possible to be a doctor and still have a life outside of work?

To the OP, if you're still really interested in attending pharmacy school with the intent of going on to med school, it might be in your best interest to get into a cheaper state school.

Samoa said:

Sounds about right to me, although I was under the impression that family practice/im docs usually settle in around 130-150k/yr. I didn't mean to imply that it was all about the money (it most certainly is not), but having even my pharmacy loans (140k upon graduation) hanging over my head is troubling to say the least.
+pity+

AmandaRxs said:
So after 12 and a half years you're all caught up and able to spend your $200k on "fun" things. Like a boat, trips around the world and such, but where's the time? Is it possible to be a doctor and still have a life outside of work?

I'm not saying it's the shortest or cheapest route. All I'm saying is that in the end it's still a financially sound decision. But if money and leisure time is all that one cares about, it's not the best use of either resource.

Also, in regard to spending your money on "fun" things. It depends on what you enjoy doing. If you enjoy your job, then there's less need for the grand vacation and all the toys that require lots of money. However, you could also go into a specialty where you can take longer vacations and have more leisure time, if that's what you value. You can also be part of a large group practice, which gives you more lifestyle perks as well.

But regardless of your motivation, a pharmacy degree is a very good background for medical school. The only issue that I think is a real consideration is that of taking a spot away from someone who will actually practice as a pharmacist. But then, there's the same issue with MD/PhD's taking spots from people who would actually treat patients. Most people believe there's still value in training those people as physicians. Similarly, I think there's value in pharmacist training for the future physician.

Of course, I'm very biased. :)

Samoa said:
I'm not saying it's the shortest or cheapest route. All I'm saying is that in the end it's still a financially sound decision. But if money and leisure time is all that one cares about, it's not the best use of either resource.

Ooops! I didn't mean for my post to only emphasize leisure and income. Guess I just got carried away with thinking about what I would buy if I had $200k to spend! ;) I know there are other much more important reasons to attend med school.

If someone goes to pharm school with the full intention of practicing pharmacy, then works as a pharmacist for awhile but comes to the epiphany that they have another calling (practicing medicine) and decides to pursue med school...I can totally respect that decision. What troubles me are people who go into pharmacy school with no real intention of practicing pharmacy, and are simply using it as a stepping stone to another professional degree. Someone please tell me why I shouldn't be so troubled with this ;)

LVPharm said:
If someone goes to pharm school with the full intention of practicing pharmacy, then works as a pharmacist for awhile but comes to the epiphany that they have another calling (practicing medicine) and decides to pursue med school...I can totally respect that decision. What troubles me are people who go into pharmacy school with no real intention of practicing pharmacy, and are simply using it as a stepping stone to another professional degree. Someone please tell me why I shouldn't be so troubled with this ;)

At least one doctor would know something about pharmacology.....

Members don't see this ad :)
Sorry to sound pissy but if you want to go to med school, go to med school. Don't hold back another promising pharmacy student that WANTS to do pharmacy as their profession. This is something that really aggrivates me to no end

I completey agree with everyone who's stated that this is unfair for someone to use as a stepping stone. Pharmacy is not a stepping stone career! It's not pre-medicine or anything like that, so why treat it as such? I see no reason why it would help your chances of acceptance. This really makes me mad that someone would even contemplate this. It's one thing to go into pharmacy and work as a pharmacist and then later on decide on medicine, but to intentionally take a seat away from someone who wants to become a pharmacist is not right!! Hopefully the admissions of these schools would see through this during the interview/essay part of the admissions process!

~Pam

bbmuffin said:
At least one doctor would know something about pharmacology.....

LMAO! I agree with the other posters, if you want to be a DOCTOR go to MED school, if you want to be a PHARMACIST go to PHARMACY school. I don't understand all this thinking that people go to pharm school because they didn't get into med school or whatever. I do not want to be an MD. I have never wanted to be an MD. I will never want to be an MD. I want to be a pharmacist!

On second thought, maybe I will go to med school, get my MD and then try to pursue nude modeling. When that doesn't work out (which it inevitably won't) I will "fall back on" being a doctor. Sorry, that was snarky wasn't it? :D

Trancelucent1 said:
I completey agree with everyone who's stated that this is unfair for someone to use as a stepping stone. ~Pam
At least it will contribute to the pharmacist shortage and keep wages at a reasonable level. There are how many new pharmacy schools opening in the next few years? 4? 5?

I know at USC, some of the interviewers ask if you ever applied to medical school. I know that is one thing I look at when I am doing an interview. How much do u want to be here! I think the OP already got into a pharmacy school. I know several pharmacy students who regret going to pharmacy school and wish they were in medical school now and I also know several medical students who wish they were in pharmacy school now. The grass is always greener on the other side.

jdpharmd? said:
At least it will contribute to the pharmacist shortage and keep wages at a reasonable level. There are how many new pharmacy schools opening in the next few years? 4? 5?

This won't really contribute to the pharmacist shortage. If a person who got into pharmacy school decides not to go for whatever reason, an alternate will fill that persons spot. The only thing that I think that contributes to the shortage of pharmacists is that pharmacy schools only accept around 100 people on average.

Man, I've been sort of grumpy the past couple of days in here, but the reading comprehension seems to be getting worse. JD was talking about the student who goes to pharmacy school then instead of entering the job market goes to medical school. Thus, you do not have that one extra graduated pharmacist to help alleviate the shortage. I think it was a partly tongue in cheek statement, but, theoretically, his point was sound.

So Gravy you are saying a PharmD/MD? How often does that occur. That is why I assumed it was a student entering pharmacy school.

GravyRPH said:
Man, I've been sort of grumpy the past couple of days in here, but the reading comprehension seems to be getting worse. JD was talking about the student who goes to pharmacy school then instead of entering the job market goes to medical school. Thus, you do not have that one extra graduated pharmacist to help alleviate the shortage. I think it was a partly tongue in cheek statement, but, theoretically, his point was sound.
B-I-N-G-O. Thanks Gravy! :smuggrin:

surgical said:
So Gravy you are saying a PharmD/MD? How often does that occur. That is why I assumed it was a student entering pharmacy school.

Maybe more often than you'd think. There's a couple of RPh/med students on this board. That's what the point of this whole thread is about - using your pharm degree as a stepping stone to obtain another degree. Not to be mean, but you have to read the ENTIRE thread sometimes. ;)

Well an RPH is only a bachelor degree. I was refering to a PharmD which takes at least 6 years of school. There might be a lot of RPH/MD but not many PharmD/RPH or am I wrong. :D

But you are right on the reading part...I probably need to read the rest of the responds =]

surgical said:
but not many PharmD/RPH or am I wrong. :D
Did you mean PharmD/MD? (or PharmD/DO)

I know of at least one school (UW - Seattle) that offers the PharmD/PA degree. It's a five year program. The school explained it to me that in June of the fifth year, you have your PA degree and then in August following that, you have your PharmD. I think their mission is to have PharmD trained PAs (as it was explained to me in 2002 by a UW rep). Perhaps that's a route for those who want prescribing power. ;)

FutureRxGal said:
I know of at least one school (UW - Seattle) that offers the PharmD/PA degree. It's a five year program. The school explained it to me that in June of the fifth year, you have your PA degree and then in August following that, you have your PharmD. I think their mission is to have PharmD trained PAs (as it was explained to me in 2002 by a UW rep). Perhaps that's a route for those who want prescribing power. ;)
That seems kind of far fetched to me. A pharmD trained PA? 4 years of pharmacy school to earn a 2 year PA degree? What is the point of that? You'd be like ultimate mid-level provider with way more knowledge than you could ever use. I think those peeps just need to hit the MD or DO route.

FutureRxGal said:

Does anyone know exactly how this works? How can you have both prescribing and dispensing powers? Seems like it could spawn a lot of illegal/unethical behavior. :confused:

Actually, one of my professors has a PA degree and a pharmD degree, but he did it separately I think. There are some pharmacist who have a pharmD/MD. One of the person who writes the board review books in pharmacology for the med students is a pharmD/MD. I think if a person is into health care, they are just into health care. Some are just fascinated with every aspect of health care.
One of my pharmacuetics professor here at Usc has a PharmD/PhD/PhD (3 degrees). I was like are u never tired of school or what.

AmandaRxs said:
Does anyone know exactly how this works? How can you have both prescribing and dispensing powers? Seems like it could spawn a lot of illegal/unethical behavior. :confused:

Doctors have both powers...

bbmuffin said:
Doctors have both powers...

Well I know that doctors can dispense the trial sized drugs that drug reps give them. However, I've never seen a doctor with a cabinet stacked full of drugs that a pharmacist hasn't already dispensed. If you're average FP has dispensing powers, why are there pharmacists?

Some clarification: RPh is the professional license awarded by your State Board of Pharmacy, PharmD is the professional degree awarded by your school. The two are not mutually exclusive, and someone who is a RPh must hold either a bachelor's degree in pharmacy OR a PharmD, or both. Schools are now offering only the 6-year PharmD, but that is a relatively recent thing outside of California. Before about 1996-97, almost every PharmD was obtained post-BS in Pharmacy, making it a 7 (or in some cases, 8) year program.

As for the PharmD/PA, I think it's a good idea. Most mid-level practitioners I know feel very undereducated in the area of pharmacology and drug therapy, and usually spend significant effort becoming proficient in pharmacotherapy.

The other point I wanted to address was the issue of competitiveness for med school admission. The statistics clearly demonstrate that applicants with a prior degree in pharmacy do not fare as well in the admissions process as someone with, say, a BS in Biology. They do better than any of the other health professions, but the numbers are dismal for any allied health degree holder. So this is NOT the route to go if your eventual goal is med school, and you know that from the start.

I did (or am doing)exactly what the original poster mentioned. I did 6 years of school and got my PharmD and started med school 2 months after graduating. I went to my state pharm school and my state med school so all in all it is not that expensive (by no means cheap though). I am in my last week of my first year and things have gone great so far and I could not be happier with my choice. I have been able to prn in a retail store during the school year and will pick up hours during this summer. It definitely makes for a kick a** part time job. I plan on doing anesthesiology so I will be putting my PharmD to work there for sure. IMHO there is nothing wrong with pursing this route. I don't feel as if I robbed someone of a seat in pharmacy school because of my long-term plan. If I beat out a person that really planned on practicing as a pharmacist that year and s/he really wanted to go then they should reapply the next year and hopefully they get in (hopefully i don't get flamed for this). The original poster (or anyone for that matter) can PM me if they have specific questions.

Pharmer

But for every Pharmer, there are at least 2 pharmacist applicants to med school who did not get in ANYWHERE. So between the two of us, we account for around 5 other pharmacists who want to go to med school and didn't get in.

AmandaRxs said:
Well I know that doctors can dispense the trial sized drugs that drug reps give them. However, I've never seen a doctor with a cabinet stacked full of drugs that a pharmacist hasn't already dispensed. If you're average FP has dispensing powers, why are there pharmacists?

They have the complete power to dispense most of them don't want the hassle that the pharmacy has on top of what they are already experiencing. They also might not make all that much more money (not for their time) having to check the prescriptions and all

Now you asked "why are there pharmacists" , this is why pharmacists must assert their VITAL role in the health care profession. Pharmacists must show how much they know and what a valuable resource they are.

Its why a lot of community pharmacies are going to practice agreements with a doctor and holding cholesterol clinics, smoking cessation programs, and diabetic clinics.

Samoa said:
As for the PharmD/PA, I think it's a good idea. Most mid-level practitioners I know feel very undereducated in the area of pharmacology and drug therapy, and usually spend significant effort becoming proficient in pharmacotherapy.

The other point I wanted to address was the issue of competitiveness for med school admission. The statistics clearly demonstrate that applicants with a prior degree in pharmacy do not fare as well in the admissions process as someone with, say, a BS in Biology. They do better than any of the other health professions, but the numbers are dismal for any allied health degree holder. So this is NOT the route to go if you're eventual goal is med school, and you know that from the start.
I didn't know about the stats for pharmacy grads entering med school. That's pretty interesting, but somewhat disturbing. A BS is pharmacy is one of the most difficult (5-year!) BS degrees that I can think of (I think the chem engineers might have it beat).

I see no point in doing a PharmD/PA. It's like going to school to be an engineer because you want to build ships in a bottle. With VERY rare exception, you would NEVER use the pharmacy information that you went to school for 4 years to obtain. Med students get what, 2 semesters of pharmacology/drug products? PAs need 4 YEARS? Not to mention the usual differences in salary...

Rxgirl.. I don't see anything on that site except
"In addition to the Pharm.D. program, students may also complete a dual degree in one of the following:

Pharm.D. and Physician Assistant Program "

That's it... there is no description/application/etc...

Samoa said:
But for every Pharmer, there are at least 2 pharmacist applicants to med school who did not get in ANYWHERE. So between the two of us, we account for around 5 other pharmacists who want to go to med school and didn't get in.

If I understand what you're saying, 1/3 pharmacists will get accepted into medical school. Isn't the acceptance ratio for individuals holding a bachelor's degree who apply to medical school somewhere along the lines of 1/2? To me, that's not THAT big of a difference, but I guess it all depends on the person.

Wow, when I started this thread, I didn't realize people were going to through such a fit. But you know what, if I want to get my Pharm.D degree, and then go to medical school, that's completely my choice, and to be honest, I couldn't care less about what anyone else thinks. We all need to take a step back and look at the country we live in. America allows people the right to pursue dreams, even if it means taking someone's dream away. Life isn't fair.

In this case, yes, I have been accepted to pharmacy school and will begin this fall. And yes, I do want to pursue a M.D. degree once I have completed pharmacy school. So this makes me a bad person because I have theoretically taken a seat away from an individual who just wants to be a pharmacist? What about the dual MD/PhD, MD/MBA, etc. degrees that are offered? Surely, someone is taking a spot away from someone else.

What happens if I decide to change my mind and not pursue medicine? I love pharmacy, in fact, I have worked as a pharmacy technician for 4 years. I have always wanted to be a Pharmacyist. I may have a dream of pursuing medicine right now, but that in no way means that that is what is going to happen. A lot can happen between now and the next 4 years.

Flame me away

NO offense or anything, but who are you to say:
"The other point I wanted to address was the issue of competitiveness for med school admission. The statistics clearly demonstrate that applicants with a prior degree in pharmacy do not fare as well in the admissions process as someone with, say, a BS in Biology. "

I'de like to see where you got this stat from, because if anything, a pharmD will most certainly put you at an advantage for getting into med school. How can a BS in biology do you any better, when you've proven yourself to med school admissions that your able to handel a graduate program, especially a graduate program thats within the relam of medicine. To them, you have more to offer given the fact that your now a drug expert. If anything, they are probably relieved that they can now have a future doctor who actually knows a thing or two about drugs.

BenU29 said:
In this case, yes, I have been accepted to pharmacy school and will begin this fall. And yes, I do want to pursue a M.D. degree once I have completed pharmacy school.

What happens if I decide to change my mind and not pursue medicine? I love pharmacy, in fact, I have worked as a pharmacy technician for 4 years. I have always wanted to be a Pharmacyist. I may have a dream of pursuing medicine right now, but that in no way means that that is what is going to happen. A lot can happen between now and the next 4 years.
Since you mention changing your mind..
Two of my classmates had the idea of using a PharmD as a stepping stone. They both decided not to do it after 1 QUARTER of classes. (One planned on MD, one on PhD). Not a flame. :)

zeezo23 said:
NO offense or anything, but who are you to say:
"The other point I wanted to address was the issue of competitiveness for med school admission. The statistics clearly demonstrate that applicants with a prior degree in pharmacy do not fare as well in the admissions process as someone with, say, a BS in Biology. "

I would not have made such a statement without a solid source. My information is from the MSAR (Medical School Admission Requirements), a publication of the AAMC (American Association of Medical Colleges). Every year, they publish a listing of the percentage of applicants from each undergraduate degree who were accepted at any of the schools to which they applied. The statistic for pharmacy degree holders is about 28%, meaning that 72% of applicants with a pharmacy degree received NO acceptances at all.

I made no judgment about whether a pharmacist SHOULD be looked upon more favorably than someone with a biology degree. I only stated that, for whatever reason, they are not. And the published statistics completely support that statement.

BenU29 said:
We all need to take a step back and look at the country we live in. America allows people the right to pursue dreams, even if it means taking someone's dream away. Life isn't fair.

You're exactly right. What a lot of people don't understand is that it's not just about wanting and dreaming about becoming a pharmacist, it's about proving yourself among your competition. Pharmacy school is A LOT of hard work, if you can't hack undergrad to make yourself a competitive applicant - do those of you who've already flamed Ben really think that you deserved his spot that he's "so selfishly" taking?

A lot of people have dreams to be movie stars or professional athletes. We all can't be what we dream to be. That's life. People need to start taking a little more responsibility, it's not Ben's fault if you don't get into pharmacy school.

Actually I disagree with you Amanda on one point,

Pharmacy school does not just look for students who are competent, but people who have full desire to become pharmacist. One of the biggest question they ask on the pharmacy application is why did you want to become a pharmacist. I doubt if any school would let the OP in if he said, hmm it is easier to get into medical school if I hold a PharmD degree. There was some form of deceit or deception. By all account he should not be in pharmacy school since he lacks the desire to practice this profession. The point of pharmacy school is to not only educate students to become competent pharmacist but to provide a steady flow of pharmacist to fill the medical needs of society.
However, with that said, I think everyone does some form of deception on their application. For example, money is a big issue. Alot of people I know put they want to help people on their application but never mention the fact that the pay is a big deal to them and that is one of the reasons why they applied to pharmacy school.

BenU29 said:
We all need to take a step back and look at the country we live in. America allows people the right to pursue dreams, even if it means taking someone's dream away. In this case, yes, I have been accepted to pharmacy school and will begin this fall. And yes, I do want to pursue a M.D. degree once I have completed pharmacy school. So this makes me a bad person because I have theoretically taken a seat away from an individual who just wants to be a pharmacist?
Flame me away

It's also my first ammendment right to officially say you are dumb and also to say that you will not be a good pharmacist. Good pharmacists are never in it it for themselves nor will they ever be. It's quite apperent you don't give a rat's a$$ about anyone but yourself. Enjoy pharmacy school so you can become a
BenU29 said:
pharmacyist

BenU29 said:
and I would always have my PharmD degree to fall back on.

Ben I think what people here, especially current pharm students and practicing pharmacists, are taking issue with is this implication that pharmacy is merely a stepping stone on your way to "bigger" things. Maybe I misintepreted your post or read into something that wasn't there, but that was my impression. And for people who are very committed to pharmacy as a profession, it's a bit insulting to feel that a person is diminishing pharmacists' important role in health care and pharmacy as a PROFESSION and the difficulty and dedication it takes to complete a PharmD and practice as a caring, competent pharmacist. As a person who has worked in pharmacy, you should know that (depends on the pharmacy I guess, though). So I apologize if you were offended, but you have to understand that your post was taken as an undermining of pharmacy, but as I said before that was just my interpretation. Feel free to correct me or clarify because you're right, it's a free country ;)

South2006 said:

I think it's pretty funny when an individual, in this case South2006, attempts to be a smart-ass and points out that I spelled pharmacist wrong once in my post; especially from someone who spells apparent, "apperent." Before criticizing another person on their spelling, South, perhaps you should take a look at yours first.

I guess I'm going to have to start spell-checking all the posts I make on this forum. :thumbdown:

All right - couldn't resist giving my 2 cents -

As for the "competitiveness" of pharmacists in medical school - who do you think a med school would be more likely to accept: a pharmacist with a 3.4 GPA, or a biology/music etc major with a 3.9? Schools are seemingly more concerned with their Stats than the quality of their applicants. I believe that pharmacists are inherently more qualified to become physicians than any other degree field. However, the difficulty of undergraduate degree is seldom a consideration when comparing applicants. Nor is the grading scale (>93% = A vs >90% = A) of the undergraduate institution.

That's exactly the issue, Pilot. Med school faculty make a big deal about how it's OK just to pass in med school, but they expect someone coming out of another professional school (where only the top students got in, and now THOSE people's grades are normed to the low 80's, just like in med school), to have grades on par with an undergrad biology major.

It's not right, but that's how it works.