Pharmacist shortage

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
ONLY if you are assuming all other variables constant (ie retirement, death, # pharmD's entering / leaving the field, ect)...but I get your point :laugh:

BTW, I'm a HUGE Cats fan! (Got my BA from UK) Kudos on going to a great school.

Thanks. I'm a little worried about the season right now, we need a decent point guard reeeeeally bad. Porter just can't handle it.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Last edited by a moderator:
Almost all retailers, like Walgreens, are facing problems this year. It is not specific to Walgreens, but to everyone. At Walgreens, the majority of sales are pharmacy related. The company still made money.

I think the problem is that everyones views are jaded, as they entered pharmacy school with the promises of getting a job anywhere they want with a salary of 100k plus. Heaven forbid we might have to move to a different part of the country for a job like most other industries. Like previously posted, just do your job well and we'll all have no problems!

KU News Release
Tools
Email Page
Print Page
Contact
University Relations
[email protected]
p (785) 864-3256
f (785) 864-3339 June 23, 2008
Contact: Jack Martin, University Communications, (785) 864-7100.
Governor, legislators and KU celebrate expansion of pharmacy school

Click to zoom

Click to zoom

Click to zoom
WICHITA — With a growing shortage of pharmacists straining Kansas’ health care system, the University of Kansas earlier this year proposed an expansion of its pharmacy school — the only one in the state.

This effort was embraced by Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and legislators, and today Sebelius was joined at the KU School of Medicine-Wichita by pharmacists, legislators and KU students and teachers as she ceremonially signed the bill making the expansion possible.

“Pharmacists are an important part of the health care system, but there are too many communities in Kansas where people have to drive to the next county to see one,” said Sebelius.
“That’s very hard on seniors and people with limited mobility, not to mention making it that much harder to recruit new families and businesses to the community.”

At last count, seven Kansas counties have no pharmacy, and 30 have only one.

“Expanding KU’s School of Pharmacy here in Wichita and in Lawrence will make it so we can start to fill this gap, which will help Kansans live healthier lives and be an economic benefit to the state,” Sebelius said.

The expansion will nearly double the number of students admitted each year from 105 to 190. Of that number, as many as 40 students could be enrolled per year at a new satellite program at the KU School of Medicine-Wichita.

“Right now we turn away many qualified applicants simply because we don’t have the room to teach them,” said Ken Audus, dean of the School of Pharmacy. “Those are all students who then go out of state for school, but who we’ll soon be able to keep here in Kansas as a result of this expansion.”

“We’re eager to get started on the Wichita expansion and welcome pharmacy students alongside our medical and master’s in public health students,” said S. Edwards Dismuke, dean of the KU School of Medicine-Wichita. “It all feeds into our mission to improve the health of Kansans.”

With so many ailments and conditions being treated by pharmaceuticals, the importance of pharmacists is greater than ever in treating cancer, said Barbara Atkinson, executive vice chancellor of the KU Medical Center and executive dean of the School of Medicine.

“One of our biggest assets as we seek National Cancer Institute designation for our cancer center is our ability to partner with KU School of Pharmacy faculty and students to discover and develop new cancer drugs,” said Atkinson. “Expanding our ability to train the very best pharmacists in the nation is a huge benefit to the medical center and our efforts to fight cancer.”

Creating a satellite program in Wichita will allow KU to build on the medical education taking place there already, said KU Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Richard Lariviere.

“KU works for the entire state of Kansas, which is why we have a significant amount of medical education taking place in Wichita,” said Lariviere. “The addition of a pharmacy program in Wichita will further enhance KU’s commitment to helping meet the health care needs of Kansans statewide. For example, the satellite operation in Wichita will be a great launching pad for our externship programs that place pharmacy students throughout the state, including in western Kansas.”

The construction of an additional floor at the School of Medicine-Wichita and a new building on the Lawrence campus will be financed with roughly $50 million in state bonds and an additional $10 million to be raised by KU Endowment from private sources. The bonds are designated to be paid off with revenue from expanded gaming, with construction at both locations expected to be completed in 2010. All operating expenses will be funded by KU.

KU’s doctor of pharmacy degree, or PharmD, is a six-year professional-level degree similar to a law or medical degree. U.S. News and World Report’s “Best Graduate Schools 2007” ranked KU’s PharmD program 18th in the nation. This year KU’s School of Pharmacy is ranked first among the nation’s pharmacy schools in percentage of faculty who receive research funding from the National Institutes of Health.

Additionally, a recent study showed that every dollar a state invests in its school of pharmacy can result in a more than $27 return in economic growth and increased revenue.

-30-

The University of Kansas is a major comprehensive research and teaching university. University Relations is the central public relations office for KU's Lawrence campus.

[email protected] | (785) 864-3256 | 1314 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045

KU News Release
Tools
Email Page
Print Page
Contact
University Relations
[email protected]
p (785) 864-3256
f (785) 864-3339 June 23, 2008
Contact: Jack Martin, University Communications, (785) 864-7100.
Governor, legislators and KU celebrate expansion of pharmacy school

Click to zoom

Click to zoom

Click to zoom
WICHITA — With a growing shortage of pharmacists straining Kansas’ health care system, the University of Kansas earlier this year proposed an expansion of its pharmacy school — the only one in the state.

This effort was embraced by Kansas Gov. Kathleen Sebelius and legislators, and today Sebelius was joined at the KU School of Medicine-Wichita by pharmacists, legislators and KU students and teachers as she ceremonially signed the bill making the expansion possible.

“Pharmacists are an important part of the health care system, but there are too many communities in Kansas where people have to drive to the next county to see one,” said Sebelius.
“That’s very hard on seniors and people with limited mobility, not to mention making it that much harder to recruit new families and businesses to the community.”

At last count, seven Kansas counties have no pharmacy, and 30 have only one.

“Expanding KU’s School of Pharmacy here in Wichita and in Lawrence will make it so we can start to fill this gap, which will help Kansans live healthier lives and be an economic benefit to the state,” Sebelius said.

The expansion will nearly double the number of students admitted each year from 105 to 190. Of that number, as many as 40 students could be enrolled per year at a new satellite program at the KU School of Medicine-Wichita.

“Right now we turn away many qualified applicants simply because we don’t have the room to teach them,” said Ken Audus, dean of the School of Pharmacy. “Those are all students who then go out of state for school, but who we’ll soon be able to keep here in Kansas as a result of this expansion.”

“We’re eager to get started on the Wichita expansion and welcome pharmacy students alongside our medical and master’s in public health students,” said S. Edwards Dismuke, dean of the KU School of Medicine-Wichita. “It all feeds into our mission to improve the health of Kansans.”

With so many ailments and conditions being treated by pharmaceuticals, the importance of pharmacists is greater than ever in treating cancer, said Barbara Atkinson, executive vice chancellor of the KU Medical Center and executive dean of the School of Medicine.

“One of our biggest assets as we seek National Cancer Institute designation for our cancer center is our ability to partner with KU School of Pharmacy faculty and students to discover and develop new cancer drugs,” said Atkinson. “Expanding our ability to train the very best pharmacists in the nation is a huge benefit to the medical center and our efforts to fight cancer.”

Creating a satellite program in Wichita will allow KU to build on the medical education taking place there already, said KU Provost and Executive Vice Chancellor Richard Lariviere.

“KU works for the entire state of Kansas, which is why we have a significant amount of medical education taking place in Wichita,” said Lariviere. “The addition of a pharmacy program in Wichita will further enhance KU’s commitment to helping meet the health care needs of Kansans statewide. For example, the satellite operation in Wichita will be a great launching pad for our externship programs that place pharmacy students throughout the state, including in western Kansas.”

The construction of an additional floor at the School of Medicine-Wichita and a new building on the Lawrence campus will be financed with roughly $50 million in state bonds and an additional $10 million to be raised by KU Endowment from private sources. The bonds are designated to be paid off with revenue from expanded gaming, with construction at both locations expected to be completed in 2010. All operating expenses will be funded by KU.

KU’s doctor of pharmacy degree, or PharmD, is a six-year professional-level degree similar to a law or medical degree. U.S. News and World Report’s “Best Graduate Schools 2007” ranked KU’s PharmD program 18th in the nation. This year KU’s School of Pharmacy is ranked first among the nation’s pharmacy schools in percentage of faculty who receive research funding from the National Institutes of Health.

Additionally, a recent study showed that every dollar a state invests in its school of pharmacy can result in a more than $27 return in economic growth and increased revenue.

-30-

The University of Kansas is a major comprehensive research and teaching university. University Relations is the central public relations office for KU's Lawrence campus.

[email protected] | (785) 864-3256 | 1314 Jayhawk Blvd., Lawrence, KS 66045

Longest post I have ever read in Sdn. I just read the first setence and err... w/e

Hey, It was actually a serious and very interesting article dealing with the shortage in Kansas. As pharmacy students and especially pre-pharmacy students, we should keep track of and be aware of the state of pharmacy. It seems to me there is a shortage overall in the United States, but saturation in urban areas and the west coast. Is this your guys' experience? Is it hard to find a retail or hospital position in big cities?

are there many jobs in industry?

Members don't see this ad :)
I feel that alot of you people are scared and very subjective based on ur personal experiences. I have read quite a few posts and I see that alot of you dont believe in the shortage just cause of "new schools" and "POWER". However most of you provide ABSOLUTELY no support for your opinions. However when I see the people post about their is a shortage, they back it up with strong evidence.

HERE is an article that is printed in 2008! Explaining the shortage will get worse

http://www.pbs.org/nbr/site/onair/transcripts/080327c/

I feel that alot of you people are scared and very subjective based on ur personal experiences. I have read quite a few posts and I see that alot of you dont believe in the shortage just cause of "new schools" and "POWER". However most of you provide ABSOLUTELY no support for your opinions. However when I see the people post about their is a shortage, they back it up with strong evidence.

HERE is an article that is printed in 2008! Explaining the shortage will get worse

http://www.pbs.org/nbr/site/onair/transcripts/080327c/

LOL...well, those people who are interviewed are just as anecdotal as anyone of us...except for the CEO dude. Even then, I question his credibility.

I can tell you this. We used to run at least 1 to 2 FTE pharmacist vacancy per hospital last year. Today, it's at .15 FTE vacancy. And 1/3 of the vacancy is for DOP and Clinical Managers.

BTW, your article is outdated and if they were to interview me, I would paint a different picture.

It seems to me like jobs are "disappeared" rather than "filled". To be more anecdotal, where I work, we are in a wage and hiring freeze. We had a pharmacist pass away a few months ago, but rather than fill her position, it just remains unfilled until the hospital's economic outlook gets better. There are going to be jobs out there once the economy picks up...it's just that everyone is afraid to hire more people based upon how the immediate future looks.

It seems to me like jobs are "disappeared" rather than "filled". To be more anecdotal, where I work, we are in a wage and hiring freeze. We had a pharmacist pass away a few months ago, but rather than fill her position, it just remains unfilled until the hospital's economic outlook gets better. There are going to be jobs out there once the economy picks up...it's just that everyone is afraid to hire more people based upon how the immediate future looks.

Well, hospital admission is down. And this has a lot to do with people not getting elective surgeries (big money maker for hospitals). Instead, only really sick people are being admitted thereby increasing the Case Mix Index.

Higher CMI increases your cost dramatically. So, less patients coupled with higher cost patients and a major decrease in hospital revenue will result in a hiring freeze.

I'm trying to learn you something. :smuggrin:

Well, hospital admission is down. And this has a lot to do with people not getting elective surgeries (big money maker for hospitals). Instead, only really sick people are being admitted thereby increasing the Case Mix Index.

Higher CMI increases your cost dramatically. So, less patients coupled with higher cost patients and a major decrease in hospital revenue will result in a hiring freeze.

I'm trying to learn you something. :smuggrin:

Not really much of an elective surgery crowd where I live/work. Except for that gastric bypass medicaid pays for....but point noted. Anyway, everyone either goes to WVU or Pitt hospitals for that type of stuff. Admissions HAVE been down. And not just post-ops, everything. People are taking the "I ain't going in unless I's dyin" approach.

Hi !!
I'm a french pharmacist and i was wondering if there were great opportunities in the next 10 years to work in USA as a retail pharmacist.

What do you think about this survey http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm ? It says
"Job prospects. Job prospects are expected to be excellent over the 2008–18 period. Employers in many parts of the country report difficulty in attracting and retaining adequate numbers of pharmacists—primarily the result of the limited training capacity of Pharm.D. programs. In addition, as a larger percentage of pharmacists elects to work part time, more individuals will be needed to fill the same number of prescriptions. Job openings also will result from faster than average employment growth and from the need to replace workers who retire or leave the occupation for other reasons."
Does that reflects reality or not ?

Thanks a lot,

Rudy.

Hi !!
I'm a french pharmacist and i was wondering if there were great opportunities in the next 10 years to work in USA as a retail pharmacist.

What do you think about this survey http://www.bls.gov/oco/ocos079.htm ? It says
"Job prospects. Job prospects are expected to be excellent over the 2008–18 period. Employers in many parts of the country report difficulty in attracting and retaining adequate numbers of pharmacists—primarily the result of the limited training capacity of Pharm.D. programs. In addition, as a larger percentage of pharmacists elects to work part time, more individuals will be needed to fill the same number of prescriptions. Job openings also will result from faster than average employment growth and from the need to replace workers who retire or leave the occupation for other reasons."
Does that reflects reality or not ?

Thanks a lot,

Rudy.

That is about as far from reality as you could get. The retail market is saturated and it is going to get very ugly over the coming years...

Y'know, if everyone wants their national organizations to do something about the "flood" of new pharmacists, it might be more effective just to lobby the Bureau of Labor Statistics to update their Pharmacist listing from 2008 data. I know I compared professions on that site before I made a decision. I mean it's kinda the definitive site for job outlook.

Y'know, if everyone wants their national organizations to do something about the "flood" of new pharmacists, it might be more effective just to lobby the Bureau of Labor Statistics to update their Pharmacist listing from 2008 data. I know I compared professions on that site before I made a decision. I mean it's kinda the definitive site for job outlook.
Have fun trying to argue with a statistician

Have fun trying to argue with a statistician

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics".

You can get statistics to say anything you want. Without an understanding of how the data is gathered and the correct background in which to frame them, statistics are worse than useless.