Pharmacist second opinion needed!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

nycballer3000

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
This situation really makes me angry, so i need a second opinion from a fellow pharmacist.

My mom was diagnosed with hypertension for several months now, and the doctor first started her on diet and excercise. that did not work, so she made an appointment with the doctor today. He prescribed her flonase for her nasal allergies, and amlodipine 5mg/ benazepril 40mg as her first HBP medication. Her blood pressure at the office is 180/100, and at home it's 150/90 (it's usually around this). I asked her if she got nervous when she went to see him, and she said no.

Naturally, as a pharmacist to be, I questioned the dose because usually you usually 1. start out as monotherapy 2. if combination, you usually go with a thiazide and acei/arb 3. the combination is usually separate for ease of administration.

now i called him, and questioned the dose. He gave me a fit saying that do I know or have experienced with treating patient with really high blood pressure. basically using the conventional doctor-attitude with the pharmacist. Am i right to question the medication and dose, or have you guys seen this done before?

It's a very frustrating situation

Members don't see this ad.

Status
Not open for further replies.