Pharmacist pay in southern California

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MrBonita

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
So everyone. Where do you work and how much do you get hourly?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Most of us in retail make $65-80/hr in socal depending on job responsibility and location. Sh1ttiest BFE (can get +$10/hr 3-4h from metro, that's a difference between making $68 vs. $78).

Most of us in retail make $65-80/hr in socal depending on job responsibility and location. Sh1ttiest BFE (can get +$10/hr 3-4h from metro, that's a difference between making $68 vs. $78).

wow thats a lot of pay to just count pills, no wonder everyone wants to be a pharmacist and new schools are popping up everywhere

Members don't see this ad :)

I think those numbers are inflated for LA and OC. In the saturated LA and OC areas, you aren’t making close to 80 unless you are at kaiser. Walgreens friend of mine is at 63 dollars in LA and hasn’t gotten a raise in 2 years. Plenty of independent are underpaying at 50-60 dollar range bc of saturation and pharmacists getting burnt out by the chains. I also hard that CVS is only offering the grads 55 dollars an hour now if they want to work in OC district. I don’t know anything about working in BFE. I also hear about 65-70 for CVS and rite aid in Ventura county, but pharmacists aren’t getting their 40 hours, Around 34 hours a week now just bc stores close earlier and they get scheduled 5 hour shifts.

So yeah I think in saturated areas expect to
Struggle unless you have connections. Also, as someone else mentioned gl managing housing and cost of living

Reactions: 3 users
I think those numbers are inflated for LA and OC. In the saturated LA and OC areas, you aren’t making close to 80 unless you are at kaiser. Walgreens friend of mine is at 63 dollars in LA and hasn’t gotten a raise in 2 years. Plenty of independent are underpaying at 50-60 dollar range bc of saturation and pharmacists getting burnt out by the chains. I also hard that CVS is only offering the grads 55 dollars an hour now if they want to work in OC district. I don’t know anything about working in BFE. I also hear about 65-70 for CVS and rite aid in Ventura county, but pharmacists aren’t getting their 40 hours, Around 34 hours a week now just bc stores close earlier and they get scheduled 5 hour shifts.

Struggle unless you have connections. Also, as someone else mentioned gl managing housing and cost of living
Haven't you gotten the memo? Walgreen pays the least and has a pay freeze for 2 yrs.

In sh1ttiest BFE, you DO make more as much as $10 more (4 hr driving to metro lmao).

They speak the truth. Numbers are inflated. Pharmacist are getting burnt out by the chains.

~$70 hour inpatient, not in BFE. (Beach within 10 minutes drive, mountains an hour away).

Can't afford a house yet but i'll be damned if I ever find better fish tacos

Reactions: 4 users
~80 per hour, 1 year out of residency. residency paid off, M-F am care job FT hours unionized. Large health system. Only way ill be able to afford a house in a few years = dual income.

Reactions: 2 users
I also hard that CVS is only offering the grads 55 dollars an hour now if they want to work in OC district. I don’t know anything about working in BFE. I also hear about 65-70 for CVS and rite aid in Ventura county, but pharmacists aren’t getting their 40 hours, Around 34 hours a week now just bc stores close earlier and they get scheduled 5 hour shifts.

I graduated this year and the rate CVS offered me in OC was 62.90/hr

Sucks you aren't union, CVS union staff rph around LA makes $68 and some change this yr, and $1.30 raise every year. If you aren't union, you get sh1t pay as a new grad lmao. Low ball offer is the new black coz they can and desperate new grads will take it.

Sucks you aren't union, CVS union staff rph around LA makes $68 and some change this yr, and $1.30 raise every year. If you aren't union, you get sh1t pay as a new grad lmao. Low ball offer is the new black coz they can and desperate new grads will take it.

I didn't accept the offer..

That’s a good offer. I am assuming that I received wrong info. I doubt you’d get 40 hours a week, from what I hear most staff and PIC in LA aren’t even getting their 40 hours. Alo, 63
an hour is not in that’s 65-80 dollar range originally quoted.

That’s a good offer. I am assuming that I received wrong info. I doubt you’d get 40 hours a week, from what I hear most staff and PIC in LA aren’t even getting their 40 hours. Alo, 63
an hour is not in that’s 65-80 dollar range originally quoted.

They didn't specify hours. I'm sure it wasn't 40. CVS is weird in their hours I have heard even PIC isn't 40 hours its like 37 or 36? I also didn't think it was very good considering the cost of living in southern California. I took a slightly lower offer from Walgreens in a much cheaper part of the country. They only promise 32 to start but you can get 40 if you're willing to travel a little and not be picky about what store you're in. Also if you get promoted to staff or PIC your guaranteed your 40+hrs.

They didn't specify hours. I'm sure it wasn't 40. CVS is weird in their hours I have heard even PIC isn't 40 hours its like 37 or 36? I also didn't think it was very good considering the cost of living in southern California. I took a slightly lower offer from Walgreens in a much cheaper part of the country. They only promise 32 to start but you can get 40 if you're willing to travel a little and not be picky about what store you're in. Also if you get promoted to staff or PIC your guaranteed your 40+hrs.

Good decision. I think it’s better to work in a region where there is more jobs, the employer will treat you better. OC is one of the more saturated areas of the country from what I hear. If I wasn’t from SoCal, I’d consider moving.

Hourly wage only went up $7.90/hr between 2008 and 2018? That’s exactly even/keeping pace with CPI (July 2008 $55 = July 2018 $63.01).

Technically that’s a $0.11/hr decrease.

And we all know regional inflation is >>>> national inflation. If you look at figures released by the CA dept of finance (inflation rates) you need to be making $67.81 in 2018 just to equal someone making $55/hr in 2008 (which was the prevailing rate in OC in 2008).

That’s a ~$5/hr pay cut over 10 years.

Ouch.

Source: CPI (BLS) and CA Dept of Finance CPI data for all urban areas.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users