pharmacist life and lifestyle. What kind of life do you want? why did you enter pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Lubeckd

Learner
10+ Year Member
Reaction score
do you want to be a director? CEO? Business owner? money with no time. Or a worker in this saturation? did you just did this just for a stable paycheck and kids? how about those who work and live by the beaches? travel?

also a question for pre pharmacy people. Do you want to change the world? make big money?

No generic I'm passionate for pharmacy or I want to save lives please. Unless you want to make a company or invent a new drug

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
All I ever wanted in any job prospect that I have ever considered is a means to pay my way through this life.

I get suspicious when I hear any other answer than this.

Reactions: 8 users
do you want to be a director? CEO? Business owner? money with no time. Or a worker in this saturation? did you just did this just for a stable paycheck and kids? how about those who work and live by the beaches? travel?

also a question for pre pharmacy people. Do you want to change the world? make big money?

No generic I'm passionate for pharmacy or I want to save lives please. Unless you want to make a company or invent a new drug

So you would probably want to ask WHY people get in pharmacy?

most pharmacists, students, and friends I know told me they want jobs in a profession that could give them job security and flexibility, high and stable paychecks, less physical labor (relatively), social respect / prestige, and are easy and in high demand.

of course, things have changed the more people are going into it and the more schools are opening. But pretty much still the same reasons.

Members don't see this ad :)
So you would probably want to ask WHY people get in pharmacy?

most pharmacists, students, and friends I know told me they want jobs in a profession that could give them job security and flexibility, high and stable paychecks, less physical labor (relatively), social respect / prestige, and are easy and in high demand.

of course, things have changed the more people are going into it and the more schools are opening. But pretty much still the same reasons.
no Im wondering what lifestyle they expect or want to live. Say for example if you are going to work remotely as a travel writer, why pharmacy. Or as a pharmacy writer. What lifestyle do you want? to relax, change the world, make money or live a stable life with kids? lots of reason is because people hook up and just want kids thats why they go pharmacy. also working part time

my reason is evolving. before I did it because two of my mentors did it. I guess I look to a father figure, then I want to take care of my parents. now my focus is on passive income and tech. FIRE and retire early, but its not by pharmacy

no Im wondering what lifestyle they expect or want to live. Say for example if you are going to work remotely as a travel writer, why pharmacy. Or as a pharmacy writer. What lifestyle do you want? to relax, change the world, make money or live a stable life with kids? lots of reason is because people hook up and just want kids thats why they go pharmacy. also working part time

I am confused. What is a traveling pharmacy writer? I am envisioning a hipster type guy with a beard and flannel clothing that travels around and writes books/stories about pharmacy. Maybe he is sitting on the roof of his van letting his beard blow lightly in the wind while tilting his face toward the sun. He deeply inhales, then exhales and and let’s the pharmacy story flow freely onto his Apple laptop made from recycled water bottles.

My goodness.... Maybe we have gone too far here in America with telling kids that they can be whatever they want in life.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I am confused. What is a traveling pharmacy writer? I am envisioning a hipster type guy with a beard and flannel clothing that travels around and writes books/stories about pharmacy.

My goodness.... Maybe we have gone too far here in America with telling kids that they can be whatever they want in life.
phamracy times column writers, there is more than just retail pharmacy
what do you plan to do with the degree?

I am confused. What is a traveling pharmacy writer? I am envisioning a hipster type guy with a beard and flannel clothing that travels around and writes books/stories about pharmacy.

you can be whatever you want, even ceo. Im saying which life do people prefer. we are individualist in america, not collective like communism china where everyone thinks the same. there is also more to life than bills and kids

you can be whatever you want, even ceo. Im saying which life do people prefer. we are individualist in america, not collective like communism china where everyone thinks the same. there is also more to life than bills and kids

Just curious... do you have any kids? When you go and have 5 kids I just would like to assure you that there is not much else to life besides bills and kids.

no kids, I want to work on my FIRE plan. I think one of the mods here also think the same way. the one with the eagle

Ahhh gotcha... I am actually working on the “put out the FIRE” plan

Reactions: 3 users
Just curious... do you have any kids? When you go and have 5 kids I just would like to assure you that there is not much else to life besides bills and kids.

"Humans are not designed to be happy, or even content. Instead, we are designed primarily to survive and reproduce, like every other creature in the natural world. A state of contentment is discouraged by nature because it would lower our guard against possible threats to our survival. "

okay got it

Im still here for my pursuit of american happiness

Last edited:
I work like 45 hours a week, don’t take work home, and don’t pay attention to the total at the grocery store. that’s my rich life.

Reactions: 6 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I work like 45 hours a week, don’t take work home, and don’t pay attention to the total at the grocery store. that’s my rich life.

Do you pay for guac at Chipotle? That is when you know you have money.

Reactions: 7 users
Do you pay for guac at Chipotle? That is when you know you have money.

That’s a great point.. I actually order my salad with extra meat also. Like a boss...

• Love
Reactions: 1 users

Yup...key for me was to just not worry about living paycheck to paycheck, leave my work at work and not have to travel or do projects outside of my scheduled hours, etc. It is great if you love your job, but I just see it as a tool to do the things I really want to do. I don't center my identity around my occupation.

In the words of NF: "
When I grow up, I just want to pay my bills.
Rappin' about the way I feel, oh yeah
I just want to make a couple mil'
Leave it to the fam in the will, oh yeah
I just want to sign a record deal
Maybe buy a house up in the hills, oh yeah
Might not be the best in my field
But I guarantee that I'ma die real
When I grow up

Well, I started pharmacy school in the 80's, so it was different back then. I wanted a job where I could easily find work anywhere in the country, and I job that I could easily work part-time (if I had children.) At that time pharmacy provided a reasonable middle-class income, it wasn't the high income it is today. Certainly I wanted a job that had decent pay, but I never had any expectation that pharmacist salaries would skyrocket as they did during my career. I suppose nursing would have filled my criteria as well, but I am quite squeamish about bodily fluids, so I never considered nursing for a minute. I did briefly consider medical school, but that didn't fulfill my criteria for a job that I could easily work part-time at (this was before hospitalists, so primary doctors would come to the hospital on the weekends and before work during the week to take care of their own patients, there were very few urgent care centers so "shift-work" for a physician was very rare.) If I hadn't been a pharmacist, my runner up career choice was to be a high school teacher. Certainly there is a teaching component to pharmacy, whether counseling patients or doing brown-bags, or doing in-services for nurses or classes for patients. So teaching and pharmacy aren't as disparate career choices as they might seem.

In the beginning, I went into pharmacy school simply because I got in and couldn't decide on what else to do...but figured it was a stable and respectable fallback career if I could never find my passion. I stuck with pharmacy school because with each passing year I was accumulating the credits to a PharmD so it seemed like a waste to leave. I also have a strong tendency to finish what I start (sometimes for no other reason except for the feeling of completion). I worked as a retail pharmacist because it was a pretty good stable paycheck and felt like I was helping patients, plus it was the most convenient answer after graduation. I stuck with it for a few years even though I wasn't happy because continued to remain the convenient answer - I realized that I liked helping patients but disliked dealing with retail customers. I don't practice pharmacy anymore, but I really enjoy what I do now and am content with the trajectory. If I make another transition, it'll probably be either to work for myself with the chance of growing a business or for independence.

I have a large amount of respect for those pharmacists who are passionate enough about patient care to be on the front lines directly interacting everyday with patients and other caregivers.

My parents were pushing me towards engineering, but I like working with people more than mechanisms. I knew that my interest in linguistics and history was not likely to lead to a good job. When my cousin went to medical school, I decided that healthcare would probably work for me too, but I didn't want to be in medicine or nursing and generally didn't want to have to touch sick people, so pharmacy fit the bill the best. The fact that pharmacy boom was starting at the time didn't hurt either.

I am in the same boat as one of the previous posters... my first job in high school was at a pharmacy, and my mentor (boss at the time) was a good guy and was doing well for himself. I'm a pretty simple person, so I just stuck to it and never looked back. I do not consider myself a materialistic person, I just want a simple 1 story house and enough money in the account to sleep peacefully at night and pick up and move across the country (or the world) if I had to/wanted to.

Wanted a stable job and something more than your typical $35,000/year. Had many early years of poverty and didn't want that for my family, or for the rest of my life. Also wanted to work in healthcare and hopefully be able to make a difference in someone else's life.

Overall, my job is not that exciting but it's pretty good. Sometimes call can be a drag. I feel like I am able to provide a nice life for my family and get to travel several times a year. Only thing I really regret about pharmacy is that I ended up with too many loans...if I had to do it over, I would have done something different to try and minimize my loans.

In the beginning, I went into pharmacy school simply because I got in and couldn't decide on what else to do...but figured it was a stable and respectable fallback career if I could never find my passion. I stuck with pharmacy school because with each passing year I was accumulating the credits to a PharmD so it seemed like a waste to leave. I also have a strong tendency to finish what I start (sometimes for no other reason except for the feeling of completion). I worked as a retail pharmacist because it was a pretty good stable paycheck and felt like I was helping patients, plus it was the most convenient answer after graduation. I stuck with it for a few years even though I wasn't happy because continued to remain the convenient answer - I realized that I liked helping patients but disliked dealing with retail customers. I don't practice pharmacy anymore, but I really enjoy what I do now and am content with the trajectory. If I make another transition, it'll probably be either to work for myself with the chance of growing a business or for independence.

I have a large amount of respect for those pharmacists who are passionate enough about patient care to be on the front lines directly interacting everyday with patients and other caregivers.

what did you transition to if one may ask ?

My goal was to work 20 hours per week, travel, and afford a house in my home town. Well...life happened and prices skyrocketed, and none of those things ended up happening! It’s turned out ok but it’s definitely not as fabulous as expected. But I have a job and most days it doesn’t totally suck, so I guess that’s good?