Pharmacist Intern

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Arjw2

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi! So I got a job as a pharmacist intern at a children's hospital and I'm wondering does anyone know the average hourly pay for interns in the hospital setting? I'm leaving my $30/hr job (I know that's not a lot in the long-term) and moving out of state for pharmacy school so I'm just trying to see how much of a pay cut I will be taking in the short-term.

Members don't see this ad.

I made $12.50, which based on many of the rates posted here it looks like I was paid a pittance. It is very company and region-specific.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Retail: $13 P1, $14 P2, $15.50 P3
Hospital (prn tech): $20

Pretty standard in the south.

That's about where I started as an intern for a children's hospital in the south. I may have gotten up to around $15/16 or so by my P4 year. $21/hr would have been very nice.

I was hired as a p2 at 11.65/hr and graduated at 14.70/hr - geography is a big part of it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

That's about where I started as an intern for a children's hospital in the south. I may have gotten up to around $15/16 or so by my P4 year. $21/hr would have been very nice.
Trust me I did a double take as well when I got my offer letter and it said $21. I already was at CVS with $12 so I was like it had to be an error.

You'll never see $30 as an intern again...that is respectable money.

Hospital gave me 13.50
LTAC gave me 26.00
Retail gave me 14.00

Okay well let me clarify! I'm in the west, moving from Arizona to be exact! Cost of living is a lot higher than the south Cheapest reasonable apartment I've found where I'm moving is $2,000/mo .. about $500 more than what I pay now ‍♀️

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Are you making $30 as an intern or $30 at a full time non pharmacy related job ?

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Full time pharmacy compliance auditor for a health plan. So pharmacy related but not intern related lol

Hello there
I just started the process of applying for a pharmacy internship.
Im thinking of working with a hospital instead of retail store.
Do you guys think that this is possible?
By thewat im a graduate intern?

Full time pharmacy compliance auditor for a health plan. So pharmacy related but not intern related lol

Depending on job security and upwards promotion ability - it would be hard to tell you to leave your current job for pharmacy school. At my hospital the highest paid techs make maybe $20 - I wish we could bump them up so we could keep good workers. We don't have a special category for interns - so depending on how much credit you get for you current job, if you make $16 I would be happy. If you spend 200k for education, it is going to take you a LOOOOOOOONG time to make that up. Sit down and graph out how much your pay will be cut during pharmacy school, and then add in loans and determine your breakeven point.

And again - make sure you take into account any potential raises you may get at your current job.