Pharmacist in hot water or just self defense

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jasonbourne

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just found out on the news that a pharmacist in Oklahoma city has been charged with 1st degree murder. This case is very important because it may happen to some of us when we become pharmacists. I have attached a link so everyone can see the video and state their own opinion. Basically, someone tried to rob his pharmacy and he shot and killed the robber. I dont want to jump to conclusions but you decide what happened.

This is the link and video
http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10429037

Do you think it was self defense or did he cross the line?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
This story was posted in the Pharmacy forum already. He is a hero IMO.

This story was posted in the Pharmacy forum already. He is a hero IMO.

In the video, 2 people attempt at robbery. He shoots the first robber who drops to the floor and seems to be unconscious. He chases the second robber outside who succeeds in escaping. He comes back in, picks up the gun again and shoots the robber who is already lying unconscious 5 more times. What i dont understand is whether this was self defense of whether he crossed the line by firing 5 extra rounds into an unconscious person.

Members don't see this ad :)
The law allows you to use reasonable force to subdue a robber. Once the robber was on the floor unconscious, he is no longer a threat to you, and therefore, you can't shoot him. The first shooting was justified, but the second was not justified.

The law allows you to use reasonable force to subdue a robber. Once the robber was on the floor unconscious, he is no longer a threat to you, and therefore, you can't shoot him. The first shooting was justified, but the second was not justified.

/thread

That's just crazy.. I doubt he'll be convicted but the malice of 5 shots to the abdomen will raise some eyebrows...

I'm just surprised he didn't take away the gun of the robber and just wait for the cops.

You could easily argue that he could have shot him 5 times in the abdomen before chasing after the other robber. He would have been in the same position but the timing would have changed everything and most would perceive that as "OK". As I said, it's sticky. However, since he came back and the robber was still subdued it creates a sticky situation.

Ah, the law of proportionality...

When I was deployed in theater, rules of engagement often forbade us from firing on already-disabled people/vehicles/buildings.

For example, if an insurgent group in a Toyota pickup ambushes our convoy, and we fire our .50 cal at them, and disable their vehicle (thereby disabling the threat, they can no longer charge our moving convoy) we cannot continue firing at them... And if we do, we are subject to punishment.

I understand WHY the pharmacist shot the guy 5 more times. Having been in combat, feeling the adrenaline and epinephrine coursing through my own veins and having that elevated competitive state (The robber challenged the pharmacist, the most base of our human instincts, primal... And the pharmacist bested the robber, thus he was "elated")... he most likely lost control, saw the robber again on the ground, and wanted to finish the job.

I'm not condoning his behavior. I think self-control should be paramount for any firearm owner, and he obviously blew his cool and might pay the price now. That said, I think Antwun got what he deserved, and I really hope Pharmacy robberies lose popularity in the coming months/years with more of us arming ourselves.

I am sure, in the eyes of the law, he overstepped proportionality ... but I cannot see how jurors will convict him of anything, as he was simply protecting those he cared about most - his co-workers. Add to that two of them were female, he could've felt a paternal connection with them, and it could be argued that he felt he was protecting them as if he was protecting his own children (And people tend to get away with a LOT more if they're doing it in the line of protection of progeny). I have a feeling the perp. was African-American and we know the Pharmacist was white, so I am sure Prosecution will play the race card.

He crossed the line. Whether he should get jail time for that or not, I just can't say. The inner Soldier in me pumps his fist in the air with a triumphant "hooah!" at that story, but my more civilized side knows that is not the correct response here.

Here's an interesting primer: Would Antwun have shown compassion to the Pharmacist had he been placed in a similar situation, or would he have continued blasting away? I realize "two wrongs don't make a right" but it's still a vexing thought, anyway.

Man that makes my blood boil.

yikes. Great shot by the way. I heard he's a veteran and they'll be arguing PTSD, can't verify the source though...

This would have been a good shoot if he had stopped shooting once the threat was eliminated. I can't imagine what made him think it would be a good idea to grab a second gun and put five rounds into an unconcious man.

This would have been a good shoot if he had stopped shooting once the threat was eliminated. I can't imagine what made him think it would be a good idea to grab a second gun and put five rounds into an unconcious man.

That's probably because you've never had a firearm pointed at you nor have you had to take another human life before. It's hard to imagine something like that unless you've done it.

People are going to judge this pharmacist despite having never been in combat.

I could buy PTSD for sure. This is precisely why I didn't go into law enforcement like so many of my brethren did. It's a really bad idea to ever be placed in another life-threatening situation after spending so many months in a kill or be killed atmosphere.

That's probably because you've never had a firearm pointed at you nor have you had to take another human life before. It's hard to imagine something like that unless you've done it.

People are going to judge this pharmacist despite having never been in combat.

I could buy PTSD for sure. This is precisely why I didn't go into law enforcement like so many of my brethren did. It's a really bad idea to ever be placed in another life-threatening situation after spending so many months in a kill or be killed atmosphere.

You are correct, I've never been in a combat situation. I also agree that PTSD could have been a factor in this instance. Nonetheless, what he did was incredibly stupid and he's almost certainly going to spend some time in the slammer for it.

I could understand him taking a couple more shots, heck he could empty his gun as far as i'm concerned, if it was done immediately after the first shot. Then he could argue that he just wanted to be absolutely sure the guy was no longer a threat. Instead he walked past the incapacitated guy, without any apparent concern, as he was trying to find the other would be robber. Then he comes back, walks past the guy again, grabs his second gun, and proceeds to put five more rounds into the guy's chest. I don't see how he could possibly claim that was done in self-defense.

Members don't see this ad :)
He is a hero IMO.
Werd. Me too.

I'm glad the pharmacist killed the robber. I think it would've been a waste of medical resources to treat an armed robber, especially because medical resources are always limited. I'm so cold in that way, but the way I see it, if someone decides to carry out an armed robbery, they are renouncing all of their entitlements as a citizen and declaring themselves as an enemy to everyone in society. Good riddance. I hope the pharmacist get acquitted and that will deter future armed robberies.

You are correct, I've never been in a combat situation. I also agree that PTSD could have been a factor in this instance. Nonetheless, what he did was incredibly stupid and he's almost certainly going to spend some time in the slammer for it.

I could understand him taking a couple more shots, heck he could empty his gun as far as i'm concerned, if it was done immediately after the first shot. Then he could argue that he just wanted to be absolutely sure the guy was no longer a threat. Instead he walked past the incapacitated guy, without any apparent concern, as he was trying to find the other would be robber. Then he comes back, walks past the guy again, grabs his second gun, and proceeds to put five more rounds into the guy's chest. I don't see how he could possibly claim that was done in self-defense.

I totally agree with you that what he did was morally wrong and unnecessary. The video clip also shows that he was holding the gun in the non-shooting hand (his left hand) as his back faced the lying robber; clearly there was no longer a threat. Also the release of this video will have some impact on the jury and the public which is not in favor of the defendant IMO.
However, the case is not over. I mean it has just started. We all should be patient to await more evidences and argument from both prosecution and defendant sides before jumping to any conclusion.

A pharmacist I work with in the Poconos, Pennsylvania shot an killed someone when they tried to rob the pharmacy. This wasn't recently though. It had to be 20+ years ago, but it still happened. It came down to self defense. He recently told me this story about 2-3 weeks ago and I couldn't believe how crazy it was.

What the robber did was completely wrong but the pharmacist had no right to willfully take his life by shooting him 5 times after he laid on the floor. He had no right to decide the punishment for that person's mistakes. I understand shooting someone once in the moment and when u are scared but what the pharmacist did is obviously an attempt to murder him.

It may just be because I am relatively new to this profession, but does it seem to anyone else like these type of snatch'n'grab/robberies of Pharmacies are happening more and more lately?

I am particularly concerned about California, because Governator is cutting a ton of social welfare programs due to our massive deficit, and the disadvantaged in our society will still need their drugs, and where can they go to get them? The same place they got them while they had Rx's bought and paid for by us, except instead of an Rx now they'll have a weapon.

In California, firearm laws are very strict, and I wouldn't be surprised if a Pharmacist wouldn't be allowed to have a firearm underneath the counter, because it would be a concealed place, thus illegal. I have years of advanced firearm experience and obviously quite a bit of time behind several different types of firearms and I still can't get a concealed carry permit here (Was a snoozer in Tx, though).

If I'm wrong please correct me, but it really does seem like these stories are increasing in number quite rapidly.

What the robber did was completely wrong but the pharmacist had no right to willfully take his life by shooting him 5 times after he laid on the floor. He had no right to decide the punishment for that person's mistakes. I understand shooting someone once in the moment and when u are scared but what the pharmacist did is obviously an attempt to murder him.

And he was not still scared even as the perp. was on the floor? You're passing judgment of your own. As I mentioned to Atlas, since you've never been in the position (Both being on the business end of a firearm, and shooting someone with a firearm) it's very difficult for you to put yourself into this man's shoes.

Through Basic training, AIT, and pre-SRP line unit station duty training, numerous FTXs, and MOUT exercises, I was not anywhere close to prepared for the first real firearm pointed at me where the person holding it really wanted me dead. That's a very humbling experience and quite honestly, I can see myself doing exactly as this pharmacist did.

Would everyone with PTSD react this way? Clearly not. Did he overreact? Yes. Was it due to being in an altered frame of mind (life-threatening), yes.

Most of you folks, and this is not meant to be offensive, have never even BEEN in any life-threatening situation, especially one in such a confrontational and adversarial one as a gunfight. Please, exercise a little caution in passing your own judgments on this man as well, as you ask us to accept from you.

And Kirby, I am genuinely shocked you have such a perspective on this matter. Hats off to you.

The pharmacist is kind of a *******. He should have been a man and fired the coup de grace point blank into the dudes face. Saved bullets and saved himself a possible conviction and soon to be certain lawsuit.

I just found out on the news that a pharmacist in Oklahoma city has been charged with 1st degree murder. This case is very important because it may happen to some of us when we become pharmacists. I have attached a link so everyone can see the video and state their own opinion. Basically, someone tried to rob his pharmacy and he shot and killed the robber. I dont want to jump to conclusions but you decide what happened.

This is the link and video
http://www.newson6.com/global/story.asp?s=10429037

Do you think it was self defense or did he cross the line?

It kind of sounds like he was saving his ammo for the other robber... and then we he realized the guy got away, came back and finished the first guy. I can't defend that decision. But I also understand the desire to protect his business... so remember, if your pharmacy is robbed, just shoot the guy once or twice!

its murder,

can't justify coming back and shooting the guy 5 times when he's unconscious and not a threat.

hero... lol don't make me laugh.

like someone said, its self defense the first time dude was incapacitated. its murder and reckless when you come back and shoot the guy 5 more times. If a cop did this, there'd be riots.

now if dude was on the floor reaching for his gun and the pharmacist blasted him 5 more times, thats a different story.

but from what i read, the pharmacist was being malicious when coming back in the store. He maliciously murdered the guy.
Don't care if he is a veteran, doesn't excuse him for what he did. Now, if he has documented/diagnosed mental trauma from being a war vet, i'll buy it.

but if he doesn't, i wont. You can't get away with what he did. Hell, soldier's during war while in combat do not get away with what he did. If this was done in IRAQ, he'd be court martialed.

Last edited:
Werd. Me too.

I'm glad the pharmacist killed the robber. I think it would've been a waste of medical resources to treat an armed robber, especially because medical resources are always limited. I'm so cold in that way, but the way I see it, if someone decides to carry out an armed robbery, they are renouncing all of their entitlements as a citizen and declaring themselves as an enemy to everyone in society. Good riddance. I hope the pharmacist get acquitted and that will deter future armed robberies.

if you think its a waste to treat an armed robber, you are in the wrong business.

medical triage is done regardless of enemy status (or a civilian person's status)

rethink what you are typing, because you are going into the business of healthcare.

The pharmacist is kind of a *******. He should have been a man and fired the coup de grace point blank into the dudes face. Saved bullets and saved himself a possible conviction and soon to be certain lawsuit.

he should have upon first contact, kept shooting as he walked the guy down until the guy stopped moving.

regardless of where he shot, its when he shot thats gonna get him convicted.

he better have some documentation of war trauma, or else he is going to jail.

nix that he's going to jail regardless, just saw the video, you can't shoot one guy, then chase chase his partner out the store, come back in 13 seconds, walk back in your store, walk past the body, go to the back counter, and switch your gun to a more powerful weapon, walk back to the body and shoot it 5 more times Not to mention, the guy he shot appears to be UNARMED!

ridiculous lol. This guy has to be the dumbest pharmacist i've ever seen.

Last edited:
I don't get it. Why would a pharmacist have a loaded weapon in a pharmacy? That's just insane. I understand the robberies; however, the best thing to do is not retaliate and let the robbers get all the OxyContin they want. Law enforcement officials would probably tell you the same thing.

And he was not still scared even as the perp. was on the floor? You're passing judgment of your own. As I mentioned to Atlas, since you've never been in the position (Both being on the business end of a firearm, and shooting someone with a firearm) it's very difficult for you to put yourself into this man's shoes.

Through Basic training, AIT, and pre-SRP line unit station duty training, numerous FTXs, and MOUT exercises, I was not anywhere close to prepared for the first real firearm pointed at me where the person holding it really wanted me dead. That's a very humbling experience and quite honestly, I can see myself doing exactly as this pharmacist did.

Would everyone with PTSD react this way? Clearly not. Did he overreact? Yes. Was it due to being in an altered frame of mind (life-threatening), yes.

Most of you folks, and this is not meant to be offensive, have never even BEEN in any life-threatening situation, especially one in such a confrontational and adversarial one as a gunfight. Please, exercise a little caution in passing your own judgments on this man as well, as you ask us to accept from you.

And Kirby, I am genuinely shocked you have such a perspective on this matter. Hats off to you.

Hey Passion4Sci,

I enjoy exchanging messages with you since you always make good arguments. Therefore, I wanted to get your opinion on this:

I would imagine there's a different mindset between military and law enforcement in this situation. Is it true in the armed forces, you are trained to eliminate the enemy while respecting rules of engagement? However, if you are a law enforcement official (ie police officer) you are trained to de-intensify the situation and preserve life? Therefore I don't see a police officer coming back and shooting him 5 times while a veteran might? Furthermore, I don't see a well trained police officer shooting the robber in the first place? It seems like the best thing to do is to calm the situation and let the robbers get whatever drugs they want without harming anybody. Then, make a mental note of the suspects, try to get their license plate number and car model and call for backup. The worst thing you want as a law enforcement official is to start a firefight.

I have no background in law enforcement nor military so I would appreciate your opinion and comments.

Last edited by a moderator:
i believe cops just like soldiers are trained "shoot to kill"; neither are trained to shoot to wound or disarm, thats just stupid and would put the soldier/cop in danger.

however, no soldier is trained to do what the pharmacist did. If he what he did while in combat, he would be courtmartialed (meaning caught on camera, if there was no camera, his unit would probably move to defend him, depending on how well liked he was and if someone was willing to go report the incident to CID)

you shoot till the guy is incapacitated or dead. once either of those are done, you stop. now, incapacitated is relative lol so you probably can get away with it if you continue to fire after your first shot.

but there is a statute to when you can come back and kill the guy after you know he is incapacitated, which is never. that is means for atleast an investigation and most likely a courtmartial.

now im not jag, but i do know the most important parts of my units rules of engagement which basically was dont kill civilians, and don't do what that pharmacist did.

repeat, no soldier is trained to do what he did, that is considered murder and you will be courtmartialed for murder. You can't even mercy kill an enemy combatant. Soldiers are held to a higher standard than civilians when it comes to law.

i believe cops just like soldiers are trained "shoot to kill"; neither are trained to shoot to wound or disarm, thats just stupid and would put the soldier/cop in danger.

however, no soldier is trained to do what the pharmacist did. If he what he did while in combat, he would be courtmartialed (meaning caught on camera, if there was no camera, his unit would probably move to defend him, depending on how well liked he was and if someone was willing to go report the incident to CID)

you shoot till the guy is incapacitated or dead. once either of those are done, you stop. now, incapacitated is relative lol so you probably can get away with it if you continue to fire after your first shot.

but there is a statute to when you can come back and kill the guy after you know he is incapacitated, which is never. that is means for atleast an investigation and most likely a courtmartial.

now im not jag, but i do know the most important parts of my units rules of engagement which basically was dont kill civilians, and don't do what that pharmacist did.

repeat, no soldier is trained to do what he did, that is considered murder and you will be courtmartialed for murder. You can't even mercy kill an enemy combatant. Soldiers are held to a higher standard than civilians when it comes to law.

Hi, I wasn't referring to the way a police officer fires upon a suspect. I'm referring to when he fires his sidearm. Of course if a police officer deems it necessary to fire his sidearm, he will shoot to incapacitate. If a police officer was there with a bunch of people, he wouldn't just fire upon a suspect robbing a pharmacy. The last thing he/she would want is to start a firefight in public.

It seems to me, and this is why I'm asking Passion4sci since he's former military, is that military are less hesitant to use their weapons while law enforcement are more critical to using their weapon. Keep in mind this is a function of the environment. Enforcing laws in Oklahoma and keeping the peace is substantially different from patrolling the streets of Baghdad

Last edited by a moderator:
Now that Ive seen the video......1.) That was a pretty good shot for the circumstance. 2.) He shot the wrong guy, dude with the gun deserved to get popped. 3.) NO WAY he gets convicted. All he has to say is that when he approached the victim the second time the guy made a move that made him feel endangered. There is no video showing the man on the ground and what he is doing. No way a jury convicts. I am never wrong on these!

Hey Passion4Sci,

I enjoy exchanging messages with you since you always make good arguments. Therefore, I wanted to get your opinion on this:

I would imagine there's a different mindset between military and law enforcement in this situation. Is it true in the armed forces, you are trained to eliminate the enemy while respecting rules of engagement? However, if you are a law enforcement official (ie police officer) you are trained to de-intensify the situation and preserve life? Therefore I don't see a police officer coming back and shooting him 5 times while a veteran might? Furthermore, I don't see a well trained police officer shooting the robber in the first place? It seems like the best thing to do is to calm the situation and let the robbers get whatever drugs they want without harming anybody. Then, make a mental note of the suspects, try to get their license plate number and car model and call for backup. The worst thing you want as a law enforcement official is to start a firefight.

I have no background in law enforcement nor military so I would appreciate your opinion and comments.

Hey MRSA,

I'm going to reply to both you and tomk a little bit in this reply, since otherwise it's just going to get messy in terms of quotes and stuff.

Tomk is correct, police and military are trained in very similar ways, and that is to kill. You aim center mass, you do not aim for 'trick shot' targets like kneecaps, arms, or hands like the media would like you to think. LEOs are trained (I am POST certified) to fire only if lethal force is necessary and justified, and thus the intention is to kill. "Warning shots", while common when I was deployed, are not common in the states for law enforcement.

I think your scenario of a veteran necessarily shooting the robber another 5 times on the way back by is not necessarily accurate, so as to say that if he had been a retired police officer, he necessarily would not have done that, you know what I mean? I have been diagnosed with PTSD and recurring night terrors associated with the syndrome, and my reactions to stressors are not "normal" (One of the DSM-IV hallmark characteristics of someone with PTSD vs. someone without). It is entirely feasible that this pharmacist felt he was under attack from whatever aggressor he fought in combat and thus lost control and could not think rationally... Add to the situation that under any exigent circumstances the human body, no matter how well trained, still operates via our limbic system (fight or flight) to a certain degree, I can certainly see how he could feel angry enough to fire upon the individual again. HOWEVER, Tomk is correct also.

In perspective, I remember a convoy operation going from LSA Anaconda, in Balad where we were stationed to Tikrit in an impromptu EPW exchange. We have very large signs on the tail and lead vehicles declaring, in both MSA and Iraqi Dialect, Persian Farsi, Dari, and Pashto that if you approach the convoy you WILL be fired upon. A vehicle containing what appeared to be civilians disregarded our signs, and attempted to pass us (Convoys typically drive REALLY slow, due to several reasons, and can upset normal flows of traffic). We were authorized under RoE to fire at the vehicle to disable it. This car continued to attempt to pass, so under the RoE, we fired upon it aiming at the front of the car, to disable instead of destroy. Had we stopped our escort vehicle, turned around, and went back to "finish the job", we would have been court martialed (Had it been deemed to be unproportional and, essentially, murder).

It seems to me, and this is why I'm asking Passion4sci since he's former military, is that military are less hesitant to use their weapons while law enforcement are more critical to using their weapon. Keep in mind this is a function of the environment. Enforcing laws in Oklahoma and keeping the peace is substantially different from patrolling the streets of Baghdad

Definitely took some time to think about how to reply well to this. It's difficult, because I can't say with a blanket generalization that we are "less hesitant" to use our weapons to defend ourselves than a LEO necessarily would be. In many circumstances, our hands are even more tied than a LEO would similarly be restricted owing to the vast cultural differences that we have to observe while deployed in theater (i.e., if you're pinned down by insurgents and they're shooting at you from a Mosque, you cannot simply fire into the mosque without gaining permission from higher). The short answer is it all depends on the circumstances. Traffic control points are particularly dangerous because you as a Soldier need to decide within a split second whether to send a barrage of fire at a speeding vehicle or simply move out of the way.

Now, are we fired upon more often in Iraq than police officers are fired upon in OK? Of course, that's a non-issue. More often than not, we are fired upon from locations where we cannot directly see our aggressor, and have to return fire in a cover/suppression manner, instead of directly to kill the combatant(s).

If an insurgent runs toward our position at a TCP or a post-raid tieup or a cordon and search, and we fire 40 rounds at him, then that's that. Much different, like was mentioned earlier, than when a police officer fires 40 rounds at a suspect at a traffic stop (even if lethal force is justified). A lot of this owes to the weaponry we have at our disposal. For example, no one tries to impugne SWAT for dumping 300 rounds into a group of 4 bad guys holding people hostage, right?

Listen, this guy was obviously not on active duty at any time in the recent past. I'm guessing a vet.of Desert Storm/Shield at the very most, probably Grenada/Korea more than anything else. This is a group of people who have been abused and shunned by the VA, and have no mental health resources at all available to them. It's sad, but it's true. I'm not saying PTSD would excuse his behavior but it certainly makes it understandable to me!

If a friend jokingly swings at me, I can overreact and flash right back to close-quarters combat raiding houses in Mosul, and do serious damage to him. This is not to say that it happens every day, that I walk around like Rambo with a big machete on my belt, or anyting at all to that nature... But without proper anti-anxiety medication, PTSD can rot and fester and be triggered by any number of things. I still hit the ground when a car back fires. This is an aspect of military existence that civilians mostly never understand, and it's really difficult for us to talk about it.

I really did not want to turn this thread into "he was ex-military so he's okay for blowing that dude away". I'm not saying that AT ALL, so please don't get me wrong here; however, I think people, especially civilians who haven't a lick of idea of what LEO/Military endure on a regular basis, are quick to judge and slow to understand.

I think that's enough of a novel for the more liberal of our posters to rip me apart over, so I hope that helped shed some light on your query, MRSA.

I don't get it. Why would a pharmacist have a loaded weapon in a pharmacy? That's just insane. I understand the robberies; however, the best thing to do is not retaliate and let the robbers get all the OxyContin they want. Law enforcement officials would probably tell you the same thing.

he's obviously trained with weapons, whether by NRA/military or by taking classes. His reaction to what was going on tells me he has experience and training, meaning, he didn't freak out, sought cover and hit the guy with his first shot. Thats why he keeps one. He's trained and obviously has a pharmacy in a not so safe neighborhood.

Maybe his pharmacy's been hit multiple times and he got sick of it. who knows, its his right to carry a gun, and stop anyone from robbing his store, and he felt the need to practice that.

too bad he overdid it.

if he didn't shoot the guy after he was incapacitated, he'd be labeled a hero and become an NRA poster boy. Instead, because of his temper or his infatuation with dirty harry (the pharmacist went back to get a magnum), he is charged with 1st degree murder.

he's obviously trained with weapons, whether by NRA/military or by taking classes. His reaction to what was going on tells me he has experience and training, meaning, he didn't freak out, sought cover and hit the guy with his first shot. Thats why he keeps one. He's trained and obviously has a pharmacy in a not so safe neighborhood.

Maybe his pharmacy's been hit multiple times and he got sick of it. who knows, its his right to carry a gun, and stop anyone from robbing his store, and he felt the need to practice that.

too bad he overdid it.

if he didn't shoot the guy after he was incapacitated, he'd be labeled a hero and become an NRA poster boy. Instead, because of his temper or his infatuation with dirty harry (the pharmacist went back to get a magnum), he is charged with 1st degree murder.

I must've missed that on the link... you sure that was there?

I've thought about this situation before. I don't really have too much of an answer except "pretend" to go get the drugs, but then dash out the back door. Our pharmacy has enough privacy to where we could run and dodge the bullet (literally).

Our store has a strict "don't act the hero" policy when it comes to these things. If it really got down to it, then I would prefer some defensive techniques (yes like the movies) and maybe just break his arm? Idk. Of course that's much easier said than done. His 1 shot wasn't a bad thing. As soon as the other robber left though, he should've left it at that. Following the other robber as if he were a figure of authority was out of bounds.

I've thought about this situation before. I don't really have too much of an answer except "pretend" to go get the drugs, but then dash out the back door. Our pharmacy has enough privacy to where we could run and dodge the bullet (literally).

Our store has a strict "don't act the hero" policy when it comes to these things. If it really got down to it, then I would prefer some defensive techniques (yes like the movies) and maybe just break his arm? Idk. Of course that's much easier said than done. His 1 shot wasn't a bad thing. As soon as the other robber left though, he should've left it at that. Following the other robber as if he were a figure of authority was out of bounds.

This is excellent ivory tower critiquing that can go away really fast when the critic is looking at the business end of a firearm.

Saw it all the time on my 2nd deployment from the green soldiers who swore they'd never shoot anyone, but would rather "disarm them" like you suggested. You've seen too many movies, Phoenician, that's for sure.

Break his arm... Before he blasts you? Have you even fired a handgun before?

The naivete of that post speaks volumes. No offense Phoenician, you're usually a very intelligent, thoughtful poster but that was just dumb.

This is excellent ivory tower critiquing that can go away really fast when the critic is looking at the business end of a firearm.

Saw it all the time on my 2nd deployment from the green soldiers who swore they'd never shoot anyone, but would rather "disarm them" like you suggested. You've seen too many movies, Phoenician, that's for sure.

Break his arm... Before he blasts you? Have you even fired a handgun before?

The naivete of that post speaks volumes. No offense Phoenician, you're usually a very intelligent, thoughtful poster but that was just dumb.

i just rewatched the bourne trilogy so that would explain it :p

I must've missed that on the link... you sure that was there?

"OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma City pharmacist is facing a first-degree murder charge after shooting back during an attempted robbery.
Jerome Ersland, 57, was charged Wednesday in Oklahoma County District Court.
He is accused of killing Antwun Parker on May 19 when Parker and a friend tried to rob Reliable Pharmacy in south Oklahoma City. "

You go walk back to your counter, and switch out the gun you shot the guy with for a magnum all the way across the room = premeditated. (not to mention you left the scene of the shooting also)

dude will plea down, and get a lesser charge. He's not a threat to society, only criminals. However he did commit murder, and no state is gonna let that go. Jury might, but the state has to charge.

"OKLAHOMA CITY -- An Oklahoma City pharmacist is facing a first-degree murder charge after shooting back during an attempted robbery.
Jerome Ersland, 57, was charged Wednesday in Oklahoma County District Court.
He is accused of killing Antwun Parker on May 19 when Parker and a friend tried to rob Reliable Pharmacy in south Oklahoma City. "

You go walk back to your counter, and switch out the gun you shot the guy with for a magnum all the way across the room = premeditated. (not to mention you left the scene of the shooting also)

dude will plea down, and get a lesser charge. He's not a threat to society, only criminals. However he did commit murder, and no state is gonna let that go. Jury might, but the state has to charge.

ah, okay thanks, I read right past it for some reason.

Maybe his first firearm jammed, but he needed to finish the job! So the type of firearm he grabbed is immaterial. I don't know why you guys keep mentioning "the magnum" as if it makes any difference at all (except to poison the well and make it sound like he was trying to be more inhumane or something).

Regardless, you are right, he will undoubtedly pay some sort of price for doing the right thing. Just like shooting an intruder in the back as he leaves your house with your property! Society's so much better off without Antwun roaming the streets.

This guy did not help himself at all. He went on the news and said that these guys started shooting at him and he was forced to kill the guy. In reality, the police found no evidence that the robbers ever fired the gun and the guy he shot on the floor five times was unarmed.

Here is the video of his explanation:
http://www.koco.com/news/19522256/detail.html

This guy did not help himself at all. He went on the news and said that these guys started shooting at him and he was forced to kill the guy. In reality, the police found no evidence that the robbers ever fired the gun and the guy he shot on the floor five times was unarmed.

Here is the video of his explanation:
http://www.koco.com/news/19522256/detail.html

Could've hallucinated it... I know I have had hallucinations (albeit when I was freshly redeployed), both visual and olfactory.

Again, not saying it's likely or makes the act excusable, but it's highly feasible if he had been engaged in a lot of CQB during his military time.

Could've hallucinated it... I know I have had hallucinations (albeit when I was freshly redeployed), both visual and olfactory.

Again, not saying it's likely or makes the act excusable, but it's highly feasible if he had been engaged in a lot of CQB during his military time.

In Desert Storm? I thought they didn't see much action in that one.

In Desert Storm? I thought they didn't see much action in that one.

I'm definitely not an expert, as I was only 11 years old in 1992, but you're probably right. Then again, there's that whole gulf war syndrome thang, so if he was in Bosnia or any other small-theater conflict associated w/ DStorm/Shield, it's entirely possible.

Do we know exactly what his combat history is? Nah. That's why I am suggesting a possibility.

Hey MRSA,

I'm going to reply to both you and tomk a little bit in this reply, since otherwise it's just going to get messy in terms of quotes and stuff.

Tomk is correct, police and military are trained in very similar ways, and that is to kill. You aim center mass, you do not aim for 'trick shot' targets like kneecaps, arms, or hands like the media would like you to think. LEOs are trained (I am POST certified) to fire only if lethal force is necessary and justified, and thus the intention is to kill. "Warning shots", while common when I was deployed, are not common in the states for law enforcement.

I think your scenario of a veteran necessarily shooting the robber another 5 times on the way back by is not necessarily accurate, so as to say that if he had been a retired police officer, he necessarily would not have done that, you know what I mean? I have been diagnosed with PTSD and recurring night terrors associated with the syndrome, and my reactions to stressors are not "normal" (One of the DSM-IV hallmark characteristics of someone with PTSD vs. someone without). It is entirely feasible that this pharmacist felt he was under attack from whatever aggressor he fought in combat and thus lost control and could not think rationally... Add to the situation that under any exigent circumstances the human body, no matter how well trained, still operates via our limbic system (fight or flight) to a certain degree, I can certainly see how he could feel angry enough to fire upon the individual again. HOWEVER, Tomk is correct also.

In perspective, I remember a convoy operation going from LSA Anaconda, in Balad where we were stationed to Tikrit in an impromptu EPW exchange. We have very large signs on the tail and lead vehicles declaring, in both MSA and Iraqi Dialect, Persian Farsi, Dari, and Pashto that if you approach the convoy you WILL be fired upon. A vehicle containing what appeared to be civilians disregarded our signs, and attempted to pass us (Convoys typically drive REALLY slow, due to several reasons, and can upset normal flows of traffic). We were authorized under RoE to fire at the vehicle to disable it. This car continued to attempt to pass, so under the RoE, we fired upon it aiming at the front of the car, to disable instead of destroy. Had we stopped our escort vehicle, turned around, and went back to "finish the job", we would have been court martialed (Had it been deemed to be unproportional and, essentially, murder).

Definitely took some time to think about how to reply well to this. It's difficult, because I can't say with a blanket generalization that we are "less hesitant" to use our weapons to defend ourselves than a LEO necessarily would be. In many circumstances, our hands are even more tied than a LEO would similarly be restricted owing to the vast cultural differences that we have to observe while deployed in theater (i.e., if you're pinned down by insurgents and they're shooting at you from a Mosque, you cannot simply fire into the mosque without gaining permission from higher). The short answer is it all depends on the circumstances. Traffic control points are particularly dangerous because you as a Soldier need to decide within a split second whether to send a barrage of fire at a speeding vehicle or simply move out of the way.

Now, are we fired upon more often in Iraq than police officers are fired upon in OK? Of course, that's a non-issue. More often than not, we are fired upon from locations where we cannot directly see our aggressor, and have to return fire in a cover/suppression manner, instead of directly to kill the combatant(s).

If an insurgent runs toward our position at a TCP or a post-raid tieup or a cordon and search, and we fire 40 rounds at him, then that's that. Much different, like was mentioned earlier, than when a police officer fires 40 rounds at a suspect at a traffic stop (even if lethal force is justified). A lot of this owes to the weaponry we have at our disposal. For example, no one tries to impugne SWAT for dumping 300 rounds into a group of 4 bad guys holding people hostage, right?

Listen, this guy was obviously not on active duty at any time in the recent past. I'm guessing a vet.of Desert Storm/Shield at the very most, probably Grenada/Korea more than anything else. This is a group of people who have been abused and shunned by the VA, and have no mental health resources at all available to them. It's sad, but it's true. I'm not saying PTSD would excuse his behavior but it certainly makes it understandable to me!

If a friend jokingly swings at me, I can overreact and flash right back to close-quarters combat raiding houses in Mosul, and do serious damage to him. This is not to say that it happens every day, that I walk around like Rambo with a big machete on my belt, or anyting at all to that nature... But without proper anti-anxiety medication, PTSD can rot and fester and be triggered by any number of things. I still hit the ground when a car back fires. This is an aspect of military existence that civilians mostly never understand, and it's really difficult for us to talk about it.

I really did not want to turn this thread into "he was ex-military so he's okay for blowing that dude away". I'm not saying that AT ALL, so please don't get me wrong here; however, I think people, especially civilians who haven't a lick of idea of what LEO/Military endure on a regular basis, are quick to judge and slow to understand.

I think that's enough of a novel for the more liberal of our posters to rip me apart over, so I hope that helped shed some light on your query, MRSA.

Hey Passion4Sci,

Thanks for your response. I hope General Shinseki will transform Veteran Affairs so we can properly take care of our troops.

Hey Passion4Sci,

Thanks for your response. I hope General Shinseki will transform Veteran Affairs so we can properly take care of our troops.

I have heard excellent things about him, but it's going to take more than just General Shinseki.

A big problem with military mental health is the actual bias that soldiers and their direct leadership put upon themselves. It's very sad that NCOs will turn on their squadmembers and punish them, sometimes severely, for seeking what is called an MSE, or mental status evaluation.

BUT, if you were interested in more about that, we could talk in private... I know this really isn't the time or place to go into that sort of crap. Just only as it was germain to the topic.

where are you guys getting that he is a military veteran? no where does it even say that.

if he's not, does it make a difference?

where are you guys getting that he is a military veteran? no where does it even say that.

Watch the video. He served in the 1st Iraq War.

My link said this: Ersland's friend, Kevin Segotta, said the Desert Storm veteran never wanted to hurt anyone, but had to defend himself with his gun.

Watch the video. He served in the 1st Iraq War.

PTSD will certainly be a very defensible claim then.

I hope he gets off with a slap on the wrist since he did us all a favor.

I don't have sound on this computer so I couldn't listen to the video, just watch it.

they could've said the first Iraq war (I.e., OIF...) but they could've meant Desert Storm/Shield.