Pharmacist going back to study nursing

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

nonizondi

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a friend that recently graduated from pharmacy school this year . He plans on returning to the community college to get a nursing associates degree since he already has the prequisites and only needs to take the core nursing courses. This makes no sense to me but his rationale is that it will be a better investment instead of getting an MBA or MPH which will not be of any use to him. He lives in a state where nurse practitioners have a full autonomy of practice and plans on becoming a psychiatric nurse practitioner someday. He is asking for my opinion but I honestly don’t know what to say..

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
You don`t have to say anything. He clearly already has a plan.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
I mean, the job market is definitely better for nurses but it just sucks that your friend had to waste 3-4 years and tack on 6 figure loans first.
Since he wants to be an NP, I believe the route he has to take is an ADN-NP bridge program.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I can’t be the only one who cringed when reading the title am I?

• Haha
Reactions: 6 users
He should have just done nursing in the first place. Male nurses are always in hot commodity.

I’ve joked about it for years when the RNs have unlimited overtime and tons of sick calls.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

If he can't find a pharmacist job then you should say "good choice". Yes he wasted 4 years in pharmacy school but that is a sunk cost now.

Have mad respect for nurses.. But no way I can do that job..

All HCPs are bitches to custom... patients and the government... less so for those who own their own business (or have a license but don't actually work in direct patient care but something relatively cush like board inspector) or actually work in a high-demand speciality that can't be easily automated.

My wife is a RN whose base is within 10/hour of new grads. She gets sign on bonus offers and has multiple choices of jobs. She gets shift differential, weekend bonus, OT available, bonus shifts, etc. And she did this with no student loans and 2 years of school.

Reactions: 5 users
I think if he was reckless enough to spend 6 - 8 years getting a degree that he has no intention of using (for whatever reason), then his plan to go back to school to be a nurse is probably also not going to work out for him.

Reactions: 2 users
My wife is a RN whose base is within 10/hour of new grads. She gets sign on bonus offers and has multiple choices of jobs. She gets shift differential, weekend bonus, OT available, bonus shifts, etc. And she did this with no student loans and 2 years of school.

There are new grads starting at 42/hr or less, so that's not particularly impressive. With the quickly declining prospect in pharmacy we're rapidly reaching a point where the average nursing student will be as academically qualified, if not more so, than the average pharmacy student.

There are new grads starting at 42/hr or less, so that's not particularly impressive. With the quickly declining prospect in pharmacy we're rapidly reaching a point where the average nursing student will be as academically qualified, if not more so, than the average pharmacy student.

In a few years pharmacist will start at $42/hr while nurses will make more.

Members don't see this ad :)
That sounds like a really bad plan.

Thank you guys for the response. My friend has a full time community pharmacy job. According to him, he is not using his clinical skills and he doesn’t think that retail would be sustainable in the long term. He also thinks that doing a residency for half of a pharmacist’s pay would not be a smart idea. Nurse practitioner education is heading towards having a doctorate and it means he should be ready to get another doctorate ( this time DNP). I advised him to go ahead and get the ADN degree as a backup option incase he still wants to jump ship but he should leave retail and work in another area of pharmacy to see if he will change his mind.

I have a friend who works as a Nurse at a VA and loves his job. He also teaches nursing classes. Maybe your friend can tell us after he gets his degree instead of making false opinions for him.

Thank you guys for the response. My friend has a full time community pharmacy job. According to him, he is not using his clinical skills and he doesn’t think that retail would be sustainable in the long term. He also thinks that doing a residency for half of a pharmacist’s pay would not be a smart idea. Nurse practitioner education is heading towards having a doctorate and it means he should be ready to get another doctorate ( this time DNP). I advised him to go ahead and get the ADN degree as a backup option incase he still wants to jump ship but he should leave retail and work in another area of pharmacy to see if he will change his mind.
There is also a direct DNP route offered by Vanderbilt. No BSN required if he wants to go that route. He will be able to use his clinical skills without needing the BSN. Tuition is expensive, but it’s only two years and you skip BSN plus nurse experience. Your friend just needs a bachelors degree, so if your friend got a bachelors prior to pharmacy instead of falling for scam fast track program, which is 3 years without bachelors and jump into PharmD, then he should look into this route

It's not unheard of. An acquaintance of mine graduated with a PharmD, worked in pharma for 10+ years, then went back to school and graduated with a BSN...now works as a RN (presumably very happy).

However, I believe she came by a windfall that would likely have been enough to cover school and living expenses.

• Wow
Screw going back to school after already spending 6-8 years after high school . Off topic but I’d say a better choice these days is either establish your own business or invest in assets that build wealth and where there is no limit on income potential . Personally, I live in SFL and plan on getting my realtor license and getting my feet wet . Initially , I plan on focusing on selling typical homes that are for the middle class as a start but my objective is to focus on high-end real estate and selling apartments/houses to the wealthy . Imagine - selling one luxury, waterfront condo for $3 million in south Florida to a Latin American or European family looking for a vacation home ; let’s just say 3% commission in earnings and you’d make $90,000 just from that one apartment . Do that a few times throughout the year , collect the earnings and use it to purchase a home and rent it out . Follow the process 2, 3, 4 times and before you know it you’ve made hundreds of thousands of dollars and have invested in rental properties you can now make money from . Bingo - passive income and you’re no longer depending on some W-2 job where income potential is limited and working conditions continue to deteriorate . Not saying this is all easy and that challenges will not be present but it’s a better idea than going to nursing or medical school and taking on more debt and working like a slave. If you happen to live in a part of the country where high end properties are ubiquitous , this idea is feasible . It is easier to sell one $3 million home than it is to sell 10 at $300k each . Get your realtor license , experience , fall down and pick yourself up again , establish a network and get your name out there and the idea works . I’m going for it . No more schooling . No more student loans . The sky is the limit .

• Haha
Screw going back to school after already spending 6-8 years after high school . Off topic but I’d say a better choice these days is either establish your own business or invest in assets that build wealth and where there is no limit on income potential . Personally, I live in SFL and plan on getting my realtor license and getting my feet wet . Initially , I plan on focusing on selling typical homes that are for the middle class as a start but my objective is to focus on high-end real estate and selling apartments/houses to the wealthy . Imagine - selling one luxury, waterfront condo for $3 million in south Florida to a Latin American or European family looking for a vacation home ; let’s just say 3% commission in earnings and you’d make $90,000 just from that one apartment . Do that a few times throughout the year , collect the earnings and use it to purchase a home and rent it out . Follow the process 2, 3, 4 times and before you know it you’ve made hundreds of thousands of dollars and have invested in rental properties you can now make money from . Bingo - passive income and you’re no longer depending on some W-2 job where income potential is limited and working conditions continue to deteriorate . Not saying this is all easy and that challenges will not be present but it’s a better idea than going to nursing or medical school and taking on more debt and working like a slave. If you happen to live in a part of the country where high end properties are ubiquitous , this idea is feasible . It is easier to sell one $3 million home than it is to sell 10 at $300k each . Get your realtor license , experience , fall down and pick yourself up again , establish a network and get your name out there and the idea works . I’m going for it . No more schooling . No more student loans . The sky is the limit .

That's easier said than done. There are many well-established real estate agents in the area, especially where the luxury real estate market is in SFL... I'm not saying its impossible but you definitely need to put in a lot of time and effort to get established.

That's easier said than done. There are many well-established real estate agents in the area, especially where the luxury real estate market is in SFL... I'm not saying its impossible but you definitely need to put in a lot of time and effort to get established.
Like anything , I’m not saying there are no challenges starting up. Of course there are . But if you bring other things to the table : personality , worldly knowledge , charisma , have connections , well-traveled and have other aspects related to your personality , these factors can all come together to give you an edge and help you when there’s competition .

• Haha
But going to school for years just to bring home $6,000 a month after taxes , retirement deductions , etc ? Nah, not really appealing . Pharmacy is a sinking ship , you have better odds of making money with my idea . Going into nursing , medicine (even worse only to make $200,000 before taxes as a PCP) , etc just isn’t appealing . Health care is just not great anymore. If you’re young , like me , 34 , why settle for retail pharmacy and pharmacy as a whole when this profession is like the titanic ?

Like anything , I’m not saying there are no challenges starting up. Of course there are . But if you bring other things to the table : personality , worldly knowledge , charisma , have connections , well-traveled and have other aspects related to your personality , these factors can all come together to give you an edge and help you when there’s competition .

I mean I get what you are saying. You seem like a young energetic and motivated person that has a plan to do this but most pharmacists I know are not as active as you are … which is why they are in pharmacy lol. I see myself working and investing into properties and renting them out but I can't ever see myself trying to market myself and sell homes (especially a luxury multi-million dollar home) for income.

But going to school for years just to bring home $6,000 a month after taxes , retirement deductions , etc ? Nah, not really appealing . Pharmacy is a sinking ship , you have better odds of making money with my idea . Going into nursing , medicine (even worse only to make $200,000 before taxes as a PCP) , etc just isn’t appealing . Health care is just not great anymore. If you’re young , like me , 34 , why settle for retail pharmacy and pharmacy as a whole when this profession is like the titanic ?

There are a lot of people that are into healthcare because they provide consistent income and stability without the need to network and market. Marketing yourself and trying to sell real estate is more talent and personality than knowledge so it would only benefit a portion of those working in healthcare that has that kind of mentality.

• Love
Rxcrafted : I’ve been thinking about what I can do for the last 5 years and never really thought about this until recently . The idea just occurred to me over a glass of red wine back in July . Even if you start off small making a little money here and there , you are developing a skill set and confidence . I’m aware it takes time . I don’t expect to rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars while just starting out . But think about it - with a little luck and efforts, you sell just 1 luxury condo here in south Florida valued at $2.5 mil and 3% back to you , you just made $75,000. What would take you on average 7 months to make working in retail hell you just made and maybe it wasn’t even particularly difficult for you . The point is trying to find another niche and source of income . Hell, if all you get is $2,500 extra per month as an example , that’s a start because you no longer have to depend 100% on a job and especially in an insecure job market .

You’ve established yourself , meet the right buyer and that person is delighted with the $5,000,000 ocean view apartment on Miami Beach , at 3%, you just made $150,000. Sure, there’s competition but with effort , some initiative , and a little luck , maybe without killing yourself , you just made that money . Say you take half of that $150,000, and use as a down payment for a home , you can then start renting it out , send that $150,000 as a one time check to wipe out a student loan , etc . There’s no need to limit yourself to a simple $120k a year BEFORE taxes . It’s just not much .

• Haha
You’ve established yourself , meet the right buyer and that person is delighted with the $5,000,000 ocean view apartment on Miami Beach , at 3%, you just made $150,000. Sure, there’s competition but with effort , some initiative , and a little luck , maybe without killing yourself , you just made that money . Say you take half of that $150,000, and use as a down payment for a home , you can then start renting it out , send that $150,000 as a one time check to wipe out a student loan , etc . There’s no need to limit yourself to a simple $120k a year BEFORE taxes . It’s just not much .

That sounds great and all but what wealthy person is going to choose a kid in their 20s or 30s as their realtor? And how long will these crazy commissions last in real estate? Isn't Redfin and for sale by owner sites already disrupting the industry? Who needs to pay someone $90,000 to find a luxury home when they can just find it online themselves? Realtors are unnecessary middlemen just like car salesmen.

Reactions: 3 users
Going into nursing , medicine (even worse only to make $200,000 before taxes as a PCP) , etc just isn’t appealing . Health care is just not great anymore. If you’re young , like me , 34 , why settle for retail pharmacy and pharmacy as a whole when this profession is like the titanic ?

Average PCP makes like 240k gross per Medscape and about 260k or more per MGMA

Precovid it was relatively easy to find jobs for 300k in rural areas for FM, my specialty. Even now there are job offers for major metro areas that aren't *too* expensive to live in for 260-300k gross.

I've been making the equivalent income of a slightly below average EM doc since finishing residency a few yrs ago due to a very generous loan repayment situation. So even the loans aren't as big of a factor as you'd think. I live in a very large city currently also.

Being a PCP isn't amazing from a financial standpoint compared to the ROAD specialties in medicine but it does have its perks. Little call, lower hours, 36 clinical hrs a week for most PCP jobs.

Don't get me wrong. Money is very important, but for a while I had low 6 figs sitting in my brokerage account and it didn't even phase me anymore. We each have our own definition of happiness and there's no wrong answer here.

You're talking about finding a buyer... but who is going to sign a contract for you to list their multimillion dollar house when you have zero experience?

Rxcrafted : I’ve been thinking about what I can do for the last 5 years and never really thought about this until recently . The idea just occurred to me over a glass of red wine back in July . Even if you start off small making a little money here and there , you are developing a skill set and confidence . I’m aware it takes time . I don’t expect to rake in hundreds of thousands of dollars while just starting out . But think about it - with a little luck and efforts, you sell just 1 luxury condo here in south Florida valued at $2.5 mil and 3% back to you , you just made $75,000. What would take you on average 7 months to make working in retail hell you just made and maybe it wasn’t even particularly difficult for you . The point is trying to find another niche and source of income . Hell, if all you get is $2,500 extra per month as an example , that’s a start because you no longer have to depend 100% on a job and especially in an insecure job market .
Thats great that you trying to do a side hustle with real estate. All the best for your endeavors!

I suspect the chances of ever listing a multimillion dollar piece of property are roughly the same as getting a job as a pharmacist.

I suspect it's much lower. There is no barrier of entry to become a realtor. Much more competition for much more money at stake.

People on my FB with useless degrees usually become realtors. But they are all selling starter homes in low cost of living areas.

You're talking about finding a buyer... but who is going to sign a contract for you to list their multimillion dollar house when you have zero experience?

Right! This is like saying "I'm going to become a car salesman and make thousands in commission selling Bugattis and Lambos".

Reactions: 4 users
Right! This is like saying "I'm going to become a car salesman and make thousands in commission selling Bugattis and Lambos".

Even working as a server you have to work your way up through the ranks of lower end restaurants. You can't just decide you want to be a server and start working at Morton's steakhouse. I had to work as a server at a Red Lobster for four years before I would even be considered for a position at McCormick & Schmicks. I finally got out of the restaurant game and then got back in when I became a pharmacist.

This actually a perfect analogy! Not to say that you couldn't eventually work your way up, but ain't no way you can make boo koo bucks right from when you start.

This actually a perfect analogy! Not to say that you couldn't eventually work your way up, but ain't no way you can make boo koo bucks right from when you start.

Yup he gonna be selling the housing equivalent of a KIA Soul.

L

I have looked into real estate as a second career and it is difficult to get started and you may never have success. I have also gotten some direct experience with my own transactions. So your broad descriptions I find humorous. Most new realtors make 30 or 40 k a year. If you work for a major agency, what do you think the chances of getting a million dollar listing is? Then the market for high priced homes is tight. Getting a nursing degree after pharmacy is much more practical.

In a few years pharmacist will start at $42/hr while nurses will make more.

Probably not. It's far easier for a nurse educated/licensed in another country, to come to the US and get licensed here. And this happens ALOT. And as easy as it is to get a pharmacy degree these days, it is actually easier to get a nursing degree. All this means that even though nursing has had high turnover for decades, there is a never ending supply of nurses to keep the wages from much above cost of living increases.

I've been pumping money into market.

Eek! Now is the time to sell. The market is way overprice, especially with the US government buying up stock.

It is easier to sell one $3 million home than it is to sell 10 at $300k each . Get your realtor license , experience , fall down and pick yourself up again , establish a network and get your name out there and the idea works . I’m going for it . No more schooling . No more student loans . The sky is the limit .

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

Seriously, if it were that easy, everybody would be doing. There is a reason why you have probably never met a rich real estate agent....and if you,that agent is probably the only rich real estate agent you have ever met.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Yeah, anyone who had eve a couple of those traits, would never have been a pharmacist to start with.

• Haha
Probably not. It's far easier for a nurse educated/licensed in another country, to come to the US and get licensed here. And this happens ALOT. And as easy as it is to get a pharmacy degree these days, it is actually easier to get a nursing degree. All this means that even though nursing has had high turnover for decades, there is a never ending supply of nurses to keep the wages from much above cost of living increases.

Nurses already make more than pharmacists this year with hazard pay and overtime. Retail only pays pharmacists $45-50/hr now.

Of course it's easier to become a nurse than pharmacist. That's why everyone recommends a BSN over pharmD.

Last edited:
I've known several nurses who went to pharmacy school, but have only encountered one pharmacist who also later got an RN; however, she was not a pleasant person to be around (to make a VERY long story short!).

Upon Googling a girl I knew in HS, I found out that she got a law degree and practiced for a few years, and after a 7-year gap on her Linkedin Page during which it looks like she was raising her children, she got a teaching degree and has been doing that for about the past 20 years - probably what she really WANTED to do in the first place.

The man described in the OP may have realized towards the end what he really wanted to do, and is using his Pharm. D. to support himself while he pursues that RN, etc.