Pharmacist CPR Certification (law class project)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bananaface

Pharmacy Supernerd
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My pharmacy law group will be proposing that CPR certification be a prerequisite for licensure and license renewal in WA state.

What do you all think of the idea of making certification mandatory? If you totally hate the idea, I want to know why, since we will likely face the same objections when the proposal comes up for public comment. If you have any reasons for really liking the idea, I would also like to know. I just want to get a general feel for what type of reception the idea will get, outside of my classroom walls.

Does anyone know of any states that already require this, offhand? Here we are required to do 7 hours of HIV/AIDS education prior to licensure, but just the one time.

Members don't see this ad.

bananaface said:
Does anyone know of any states that already require this, offhand? Here we are required to do 7 hours of HIV/AIDS education prior to licensure, but just the one time.

I thought that it was required here. It's required for school and rotations, but I'm not positive that it's required for licensure. I just bought liability insurance through pharmacists' mutual and it specifically covers my "certified CPR training" liability. I've heard that even doing it "wrong" seems to confer a similar advantage to the recipient as far as living goes. Any word on that?

I'm not sure if it is required here in my state, but it is a requirement of my school. I think its an excellent idea for it to be a licensure requirement.

Members don't see this ad :)
So what does this mean? If I am CPR-certified, does that mean that I am OBLIGATED to perform CPR? Because I won't do it! Those classes don't teach enough for me to be able to do it on a real person, especially an obese person. I'm just not strong enough. Not to mention that I freak out in emergency situations. I really don't think the recipient is better off with me doing it wrong. But I'll call 911 really quickly, I promise. :thumbup:

Roxicet said:
So what does this mean? If I am CPR-certified, does that mean that I am OBLIGATED to perform CPR? Because I won't do it! Those classes don't teach enough for me to be able to do it on a real person, especially an obese person. I'm just not strong enough. Not to mention that I freak out in emergency situations. I really don't think the recipient is better off with me doing it wrong. But I'll call 911 really quickly, I promise. :thumbup:

According to the American Red Cross, if you're certified in CPR and you don't perform CPR when needed and someone finds out, you can be held liable for it. I used to be a certified CPR instructor. Trying telling that to a bunch of 16 year oild lifeguards who are too distracted by having to "kiss" a dummy to listen.

I just renewed my BLS yesterday. ACLS is next month.

Why WOULDN'T you do it? It's like wearing a seatbelt or keeping a baseball bat (at least) in the closet. All three are handy tools to have.

As for liability, since a pharmacist is not classified as a 'first-responder' (unless you're an EMT or the like), most states (all?) will cover your butt with the 'Good Samaritan' law if you perform CPR.

I'd hesitate to make it a requirement for anything, due to disability on the part of the RPh.

We have nothing in place in WA to ensure that certification is kept current after school ends.

I guess it depends on exactly what is entailed in doing CPR "wrong", JD. Recently, there has been speculation that chest compressions alone appear to be equally as useful as alternating between compressions and breathing.

I don't know that we would be legally obligated to perform CPR. Many of my classmates believe that we would be morally obligated to do so, as healthcare workers. But, if there were an infant or very young child involved, I know that I would not be comfortable, since they are so fragile. And, if I had a cut in my mouth, (I routinely bite my cheek in my sleep) I would choose not perform the breathing portion of CPR.

Until you are in an emergency situation, it is really hard to say with certainty that you would choose not to perform CPR. If you got your bearings and a rush of adrenaline, you may very well be able to perform chest compressions on an obese persons until an ambulance arrives. If you are trained and certified, at least you would have the opportunity to help if you chose to. Those are my thoughts, for what they are worth.

MN, I am expecting a baseball bat for Christmas. :D What do you mean by "disability on the part of the RPh"?

MNnaloxone said:
Why WOULDN'T you do it? It's like wearing a seatbelt or keeping a baseball bat (at least) in the closet. All three are handy tools to have.

I don't see the correlation there. The latter two are self-protection, and performing CPR is public protection. I was having trouble pushing hard enough on the dummies, so I don't think I could even help an average size adult, much less an overweight adult. Of course I wouldn't just stand there, either. I'd at least open their airway. I'm mostly apprehensive about compressions. But, there absolutely must be protection available for me to even consider breaths, too (gloves and mouth cover). That's what the third handy tool should be....not having unprotected CPR or sex. ;)

To be an immunizing pharmacist you have to be certified in BLS.

Roxicet said:
I don't see the correlation there. The latter two are self-protection, and performing CPR is public protection. I was having trouble pushing hard enough on the dummies, so I don't think I could even help an average size adult, much less an overweight adult. Of course I wouldn't just stand there, either. I'd at least open their airway. I'm mostly apprehensive about compressions. But, there absolutely must be protection available for me to even consider breaths, too (gloves and mouth cover). That's what the third handy tool should be....not having unprotected CPR or sex. ;)
Well, then you can choose to direct the situation instead of actually doing the grunt work of it. Open the airway, designate someone to call 911, designate someone to remove tight clothing, do compressions, etc. It's NEVER a bad thing to know CPR. I think that we have the option for ACLS our third year, but I could be wrong.

jdpharmd? said:
I think that we have the option for ACLS our third year, but I could be wrong.

There is an ACLS course offered to third year students. It's taught by a nurse (I don't know her name since I'm not in the class) and Dr Tafreshi.

I really don't think the recipient is better off with me doing it wrong.

If you have to do compressions then they're already dead, you can't hurt them more than that! No matter how ineffective your compressions are, they're better than nothing.

Banana-by disability, I meant some physical disability on the part of the pharmacist. Say MS, amputee, insert loss of limb here. Something where the pharmacist would not be physically able to perform CPR.

MNnaloxone said:
Banana-by disability, I meant some physical disability on the part of the pharmacist. Say MS, amputee, insert loss of limb here. Something where the pharmacist would not be physically able to perform CPR.
My group talked about that and will write in an exemption so we don't get the change struck down later. Good thought. :)