Pharmacist called Dr?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

illusions

Believe & U Can Succeed
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Never really thought about it, but are pharmacist called Dr in pharmacy settings? I saw something about it in another forum and just made me go hmmm

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just had a pharmacist call today for a transfer. When he spoke to the tech who answered the phone, he identified himself as "Dr. Whatever" from a local pharmacy needing a transfer. I laughed, and let him wait needlessly for a few minutes before seeing to the "doctor's" needs.

I had Step 2 medical boards this week. Been buried in the books..

My favorite clinical professor practice story is below.

One of our clinical profs (who lasted a record low of six months), was a University of Arizona trained and a Virginia Commonwealth resident. I know this because she never shut up about it.

She and a best friend of mine were at K-Mart and she was the clinical preceptor. The boss was ill and she had to (gasp!) work in the K-Mart pharmacy, which did about 80 scripts.

So she gets this Rx for "Wellbutrin SR 200 mg, 1 po bid" from an DO and she goes ballistic. Without consulting her tech or intern, she calls the MD and a conversation ensues.

Prof: "Hi, I'm Dr. T I want to speak with Dr. B regarding a drug that doesn't exist."

Receptionist: "I'll get Dr. B on the line."

Dr. B. "What is it?"

Prof: "I'm Dr. T. and I want to let you know that you've been a little careless. Wellbutrin SR 200 mg does not exist. Change this med and be careful in the future."

Dr. B. "What the he11? (Short pause) Well, 'Dr. T', it just so happens that I think Wellbutrin 200 mg SR does exist. I'M HOLDING THE G*DD**N MEDICATION SAMPLE IN MY HAND RIGHT NOW!!!!! NOW, 'DR. T.', WHAT KIND OF A DOCTOR ARE YOU?"

Prof: (in a little voice): "Uh, a pharmacy doctor from U of A."

Dr. B: "WELL LET ME TELL YOU WHAT I THINK ABOUT A 'DOCTOR' OF PHARMACY.....(and proceeds in detail to tell her what he thinks."

(Intern and technician laughing outloud in the background. Patient is incredulous).

That story still pursues her today, so I'm told. That doc who reamed her is also a clinical prof at the DO campus, and I know he tells this story. I also tell some of the more arrogant 1st years that they need to remember their place in the grand scheme of things.

Things to note in this piece:
1. Dr. doesn't equal competence. You still must prove your competence with results.

2. Use your supportive personnel (it'll save you embarassment later)

3. When communicating with ANYONE (superior or inferior), KEEP YOUR ATTITUDE IN CHECK. It's unprofessional to be condenscending and can get you in a heck of trouble if you're wrong.

Of course, there are those who spell Dr. "G.O.D.", but they're a lost cause.

Lord999

Both myself (a 2nd year med student) and my girlfriend (PharmD) enjoyed reading your story.

wow, how predictable, JPHAZELTON, chiming in again, and the pissing contest ensues. *jab jab jab*

thanks for the post, illusions, but we've covered this topic previously, spanning every forum. It went like this:

blah blah blah MD's, DO's, PharmD's can all be incompetant, have their own specialties, add their own element to the healthcare mix blah blah blah, can't question "their" infallibility, blah blah blah....blah blah blah the physicians amazing training versus the "mediocre" education of pharmD's...blah blah blah....pharmD's are subject to ridicule by incompetance...blah blah blah....insert some more ignorant bantering...blah blah blah

there ya go! That's pretty much the jist of that discussion.

*lots of sarcasm*

well done fellow "professionals"

time well spent, yall....

That was just a tad immature.

Unlike physicians, pharmacists have a much more precarious position in the chain. Their job is not to initiate action, but to complete action on a patient. Therefore, to the lay public, pharmacists are not responsible in a clinical sense, they are only responsible for the right drug at the right dose to the right patient.

As pharmacy matures into a clinical science, I believe the responsibility will also include "and for the right reason" with the right drug, right dose, and right patient. It's not easy, and I for one am not apologetic about the salary I'll be making for performing this seemingly simple task. Those of us who proceeded on to medicine criticize pharmacy as not being able to use the training that they had, or consider the profession dying (which I am concerned that both may happen).

Frankly, if you just take a look at the recent malpractice cases in the US, the ratio of malpractice cases (and successful one) between pharmacists and physicians is clear: By far, physicians take the most heat for being incompetent. Physician incompetence is obvious and costly. It's the difference between paying~$40 for $6 million policy for a pharmacist, and your first-born child for six months of pitiful medical malpractice. No, pharmacists don't have to worry about the "malpractice" piece as much as people complain about it. lol

Being a professional requires one to recognize EXACTLY what the relationship must be between other people. And by the way, I think physician training is in much greater need of reform than pharmacy (I could care less if a physician could recite the Krebs cycle, I'm amiss that there are some physicians can't recite the tetralogy of Fallot).

That's my two cents.

That is a scary story.......better to be humble and modest....

lord999,

See, that's the type of argument I want to read. I have a tendency to use sarcasm and humor to make a point (humo ris relative I know). I wasn't exactly talking bout you directly.

my intention wasn't to be immature (if you were talking about my reply) but to just summarize all the subject matter from before (see hx of this) and the type of negativity that was spewed, especially those that appear to add a condescending remark whenever possible.

it's mind numbing.

It's also hard to see such a lack of community among health students. But that story that was told was fact. It happened and I am sure it happens. Her intentions were true, but her method was definitely faulty.

anyways...i'm sure I take this stuff too seriously...but I plan to be a pharmacist that has knowledge extending to many areas; to specialize and work hard to be on the cutting edge. I want to do a good job, and I see such a response from colleagues hard to stomach.

I just have to work that much harder.

At the end of the day, it's a respect thing.

Disrespect in the health care field is like a virus; disrespect in general is what breeds the worst type of humanity over the entire world.

Thanks for the reply. Constructive response. Definitely clarified your opiniosn to me, and made me think bout other dimensions to this debate.

Adios

Bah...I could care less about being more involved with the right drug for the right problem. In the pharms I've worked at, we're too busy to worry about stuff like that. We barely have time to remember we had to pee 2 hours ago let alone wonder..."hmmm, I sure hope that Dr. so-and-so knows what he's doing by giving him this antibiotic" or "hmmm, maybe i should call the doctor to let him know that the half-life of drug X is longer than drug Y thereby staying in the body and creating the desired effect longer"...horse****. Most of the little facts like that are pretty much worthless unless asked by physician or patient (which almost never happens). Basically all I'm worried about are being able to answer the real questions and problems that arise in the day to day dealings in the pharmacy.

As the story above (which was halarious may i add) shows, it doesn't matter if was SteveL, MD, PharmD, PhD, MBA; Anyone can make a mistake and it's best not to show off or especially get angry about stupid-ass things like a mis-written script. We must get about 5 scripts a day for basic things (vicodin/percocet mistakes usually that deal with tylenol amounts, etc) that are written completely wrong but reality check...it's not a big deal. A simple phone call can fix this and being nice gets you a lot farther a lot faster than being a jackass.

This thread is played out...being a doctor of anything doesn't mean ****...

Originally posted by lord999

Being a professional requires one to recognize EXACTLY what the relationship must be between other people. And by the way, I think physician training is in much greater need of reform than pharmacy (I could care less if a physician could recite the Krebs cycle, I'm amiss that there are some physicians can't recite the tetralogy of Fallot).

I agree. Be happy with the path you've chosen. If you want to be a pharmacist, go to pharmacy school. If you want to be a physician, go to medical school. Seems easy enough to me.

And for those of you currently studying for boards, as am I:

Tetralogy of Fallot:
- ventricular septal defect
- pulmonary stenosis
- aortic miscommunication (not in LV, usu RV)
- right vertricular hypertrophy

Original "blue baby" syndrom.

Originally posted by lord999
That was just a tad immature.

Unlike physicians, pharmacists have a much more precarious position in the chain. Their job is not to initiate action, but to complete action on a patient. Therefore, to the lay public, pharmacists are not responsible in a clinical sense, they are only responsible for the right drug at the right dose to the right patient.

As pharmacy matures into a clinical science, I believe the responsibility will also include "and for the right reason" with the right drug, right dose, and right patient. It's not easy, and I for one am not apologetic about the salary I'll be making for performing this seemingly simple task. Those of us who proceeded on to medicine criticize pharmacy as not being able to use the training that they had, or consider the profession dying (which I am concerned that both may happen).

Frankly, if you just take a look at the recent malpractice cases in the US, the ratio of malpractice cases (and successful one) between pharmacists and physicians is clear: By far, physicians take the most heat for being incompetent. Physician incompetence is obvious and costly. It's the difference between paying~$40 for $6 million policy for a pharmacist, and your first-born child for six months of pitiful medical malpractice. No, pharmacists don't have to worry about the "malpractice" piece as much as people complain about it. lol

A plumber has even lower malpractice insurance bill... does it make him more competent than a pharmacist?

No, because plumbers cannot possess malpractice insurance.

Malpractice: An instance of neglence or incompetence on the part of a professional. To suceed in a malpractice claim, a plaintiff must also prove proximate cause and damages.

-Black's

Plumbers aren't professionals, and cannot be held for professional negligence.

Also, trade boards do a much better job at shielding their members from damages. If you pay attention to the form you sign when you get that type of work done, they are not even liable for damages resulting from "material failure" which generally means that they can't screw up. I bought construction damages insurance on the home I live in, and I've already recouped my "investment" many times over.

The nature of the negligence is also different from medical. Unless it's a Darwin award winner, trade screwups do not cause bodily injury, death,

The medical profession is also held to both malpractice and maltreatment principles of law (which means that not only does a doctor have a duty to cause no harm, the doctor has a duty to get things right in his judgment). You can be sued for and lose for treatment failure if you didn't pick a rational course of therapy. That's why if you don't pick the by the book approach (like JNC VII) to treat a condition, you'd better document why you did it at that time.

Only law, medicine, and clergy are subject to malpractice.