pharm tech license & CA board of pharmacy

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

dreaminofpharmd

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Has anyone applied for a pharm tech license from the California board of pharmacy? I have a couple of questions with the application. Can anyone help? I'd appreciate it SO much because I need to get my license soon or else I can't accept my job offer. All help is very much appreciated.

1. I am qualifying by certification by PTCB. It says I must submit a certified true copy of my PTCB certificate that has been certified or notarized as a true copy. What does this mean?

2. What do I do with the "affidavit of completed coursework" section if I am qualifying by PTCB certification?

3. Is the following all I need to mail?
-3 page application
-live scan
-certificate
-$50 check

4. Where do I mail everything to? 1625 N. Market Blvd?

5. Approx how long does it take to receive my license?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I think you asked this question in the pre-pharmacy forum....you'll find your answer there.

I also took the PTCB, applied for the license and got it last year. So I think I can help you out a bit

1. I am qualifying by certification by PTCB. It says I must submit a certified true copy of my PTCB certificate that has been certified or notarized as a true copy. What does this mean?

-> Go to kinkos-fedex with your certification and ask for notarization. I don't remember how much it was.

2. What do I do with the "affidavit of completed coursework" section if I am qualifying by PTCB certification?

-> You can put the date you got PTCB certified.

3. Is the following all I need to mail?
-3 page application
-live scan
-certificate
-$50 check

-> Either certicate or the notarized one... But you read them over to make sure since it has been a while so not 100% sure above are all you need to mail.

4. Where do I mail everything to? 1625 N. Market Blvd?

-> The address is on the application

5. Approx how long does it take to receive my license?

-> It took me about 2 month. You can check the status online as well.

I have 2 quick questions and would appreciate any input!

So, I am a pre-pharmacy student in CA with no pharmacy experience. Let's say that I study for the PTCB Exam on my own and pass it, and I go through the license application process described in this thread. Does that make me a certified pharmacy technician (and allow me to get hired as a pharmacy technician)? or am I missing something big in my thinking?

Also, it's not that I'm trying to avoid going through some program. I just don't have the time right now since my courseload is very hefty and I got full loads of summer sessions for the next 2 years. So, does it look better if I go through a program to become a certified pharmacy technician? or is just passing the PTCB Exam good enough for getting a pharmacy technician job?

Thank you all for your time!

Members don't see this ad :)
Am a foreign pharmacy student in my final year. I intend to practice pharmacy either in Canada, US or New Zealand/Australia. I will like to have website links for the requiremnets for such examinations. I will also like to have an idea of what is required in terms of type of exams, cost..Any information will be very helpful..Thank you

shikamaru said:
I have 2 quick questions and would appreciate any input!

So, I am a pre-pharmacy student in CA with no pharmacy experience. Let's say that I study for the PTCB Exam on my own and pass it, and I go through the license application process described in this thread. Does that make me a certified pharmacy technician (and allow me to get hired as a pharmacy technician)? or am I missing something big in my thinking?

Also, it's not that I'm trying to avoid going through some program. I just don't have the time right now since my courseload is very hefty and I got full loads of summer sessions for the next 2 years. So, does it look better if I go through a program to become a certified pharmacy technician? or is just passing the PTCB Exam good enough for getting a pharmacy technician job?

Thank you all for your time!

Sorry - I never look here so it took me a long time to see your question - I hope you got it answered though. No....a program doesn't make you "look better". All you need is the PTCB exam which allows you to apply to the state board for registration. That gives you the opportunity to apply for pharmacy tech jobs.

naijabony said:
Am a foreign pharmacy student in my final year. I intend to practice pharmacy either in Canada, US or New Zealand/Australia. I will like to have website links for the requiremnets for such examinations. I will also like to have an idea of what is required in terms of type of exams, cost..Any information will be very helpful..Thank you

I can only offer you insight into the US. For Canada, Australia & New Zealand, you'll have to pursue those elsewhere.

In the US, each state determines its own licensure requirements. Some allow reciprocity - which means if you are licensed in one state, another state will recognize that as a valid license & only require you to take the law portion of their exam. CA is NOT one of those states - we do not have reciprocity.

Being a foreign graduate presents different hurdles entirely. Again, each state has different requirements. CA is very strict - you must be able to present all your coursework from undergraduate to your graduate degree for evaluation. It is done all the time, but it takes time. You also must pass an exam which measures your comprehension of English - TOEFL.

You can access all this info for CA only on the state board of pharmacy website - pharmacy.ca.gov.

Good Luck!