pharm residency

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

gdk420

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if anyone could fill me in on residency? Like what GPA and extra curricular do you need to get a residency? And do you absolutely need one to work in a hospital? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

No, on that last question. It will help in more competitive clinical positions, but for the most part one is not necessary.

GDK, the faculty at our school tell us a residency is not required.. but strongly reccomended, they belive that eventually fo rthose choosing to enter the hospital realm it will become the norm.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yes, they definitely sold residencies at my school too. I'm not sure if they have some sort of economic incentive for that or if they really believe it. I don't forsee a residency being much of a big deal for just a general hospital job anytime in the future. There is too much of a shortage and there isn't any additional instruction that I can see a residency providing (unless you're a pediatric ICU pharmacist or some other rare subspecailty of which only a handful of jobs exist).

How is a pharmacy residency different from a medical residency?

Our pharm practice course professor has brought up residencies several times to us. I don't think it's for any other reason than they really want more ppl to enter clincial pharm, bc not enough are. I agree that we don't even approach critical mass for getting students to choose clinical pharm. I think there are still more slots available than applicants for residencies which kinda sucks in my mind. A little natural selection would improve the field i feel.

Here in MN, the clinical pharmacists I have talked to have all pretty much said the same thing- "No, you don't need a residency. But the last X clinical pharmacists we hired all had them."

I asked my preceptor at Express Scripts, and: "You don't need one, but having one puts you in a higher salary range here." ESI's clinical services asst director: "I wouldn't have gotten this job right after residency if I hadn't completed one."

I've seen a few writings that state that the year of residency equals three years of job experience.

I'm trying to get into one because I simply want to learn more and become more polished as a clinician. Luckily, the low salary isn't an issue, and its only one year. Will it give me an advantage? Depends on the job I'm applying for, and who the other applicants are.

Now that i think about it. Our Communications prof also brought up residencies, incidentally the other prof for the course is credited w/creating clinical pharmacy and he wasn't even the more accomplished of the two. Her statement was more like five years of work is equivalent to one yr of residency. I interracted with the residents at ucsf in the in-pt pharm, and they seemed really cool, not overly-worked or stressed.