PhD/PsyD Ph.D. Internship in Neuropsych for International Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mika1008

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am an international student, currently in a Ph.D. Clinical Psychology program. I am specializing in Neuropsychology and plan on going to a Neuropsych post-doc to become ABPP board certified as a Neuropsychologist. I do have a Green Card and am a permanent resident of the U.S. However, since I don't have citizenship, my internship picks are VERY slim. Most sites I am applying to are highly competitive and a far reach. I want to make sure I apply to Neuropsych appropriate Internship sites, so that I can get a good post-doc. Does anyone have any recommendations on sites for international students who seek Neuropsych experience? I knew I was excluded from the VA's (federal funding) but it turns out most hospitals and school affiliated medical institutions also require citizenship. I am really hoping someone here can share their (success) stories on how they obtained a Neuropsych Internship as a non-citizen.

Thank you all in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Hi everyone,

I am an international student, currently in a Ph.D. Clinical Psychology program. I am specializing in Neuropsychology and plan on going to a Neuropsych post-doc to become ABPP board certified as a Neuropsychologist. I do have a Green Card and am a permanent resident of the U.S. However, since I don't have citizenship, my internship picks are VERY slim. Most sites I am applying to are highly competitive and a far reach. I want to make sure I apply to Neuropsych appropriate Internship sites, so that I can get a good post-doc. Does anyone have any recommendations on sites for international students who seek Neuropsych experience? I knew I was excluded from the VA's (federal funding) but it turns out most hospitals and school affiliated medical institutions also require citizenship. I am really hoping someone here can share their (success) stories on how they obtained a Neuropsych Internship as a non-citizen.

Thank you all in advance!
The best thing for your situation would probably be to apply as broadly as possible and make sure to apply to less geographically desirable areas. Since you are already hamstrung by your citizenship status and the highly competitive niche of neuropsych, you need a way to improve your odds of getting the type internship you want. Applying to places that other people just don't want to go is probably your best bet as long as you meet their qualifications and they have the training you want. Just keep in mind that it's only for a year, so it isn't that big of a deal to be in a very rural area for that long. Focusing on highly desirable and metropolitan areas is likely a fast track to not matching anywhere or missing out on a neuropsych-focused internship.

Some consortia sites have multiple funding sources for their interns such that different interns get paid by different agencies (some requiring citizenship, some not). The pickings may still be quite slim, but make sure you aren't ruling these out.

Members don't see this ad :)
The best thing for your situation would probably be to apply as broadly as possible and make sure to apply to less geographically desirable areas. Since you are already hamstrung by your citizenship status and the highly competitive niche of neuropsych, you need a way to improve your odds of getting the type internship you want. Applying to places that other people just don't want to go is probably your best bet as long as you meet their qualifications and they have the training you want. Just keep in mind that it's only for a year, so it isn't that big of a deal to be in a very rural area for that long. Focusing on highly desirable and metropolitan areas is likely a fast track to not matching anywhere or missing out on a neuropsych-focused internship.

Thank you for your input! Are there any particular places/areas or sites that you are thinking of when you say "apply to place other people don't want to go to?" I have not limited myself geographically and looked all over the country - it seems though that even no geographic restrictions doesn't help with finding less competitive sites. I am absolutely open to living anywhere in the country for internship.