PGY2 from Program with Pending Accreditation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

callmebrie

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

So i was wondering if anybody has any experience with applying for PGY2 while completing a PGY1 that is in the process of getting accredited.

I logged onto PhorCas today and apparently, i would required to upload a bunch of documents, otherwise my account is "suspended".

Reason for being suspended:
  1. Applicant did not complete or is currently not in a PGY1 residency
  2. Applicant completed a residency that is in the ASHP accreditation process
Applicant must provide ALL of the following:
  • US Pharmacy License
  • Proof of having worked a minimum of 3 full years in a pharmacy practice environment
  • Copy of their Curriculum Vitae
  • Completed documention to prove the applicant has met the goals and objectives of a PGY1 program (found at http://www.natmatch.com/ashprmp/pgy1exmp.pdf)
HOw can i have 3 Years of pharmacy experience, if am doing a PGY1 currently? Or basically, if you are a PGY1 in an unaccredited program, I need to have already met the goals and objectives of a PGY1.... I AM FREAKING OUT!! Basically, I need to know what the process is for getting a PGY2 if currently PGY1 program is not accredited.

YES i called Phorcas and the representative was pretty useless. Thanks in advance

Members don't see this ad.

Lesson to be learned, doing an unaccredited program is a HUGE risk.

It seems pretty clear, at this point you can't do an ASHP PGY2 (maybe you can find an unaccredited PGY2, but I would recommend not doing it, just as I would recommend not doing an unaccredited PGY1.) Otherwise....looks like you will have to get a job for 2 years, so you have the 3 years minimum, and then apply for a PGY2 if you are still interested at that point.

Lesson to be learned, doing an unaccredited program is a HUGE risk.

It seems pretty clear, at this point you can't do an ASHP PGY2 (maybe you can find an unaccredited PGY2, but I would recommend not doing it, just as I would recommend not doing an unaccredited PGY1.) Otherwise....looks like you will have to get a job for 2 years, so you have the 3 years minimum, and then apply for a PGY2 if you are still interested at that point.

Nah, it was just a fluke. Even if a Programs in the process of getting accredited, I can still do a PGY2. I somehow missed seeing my program on the list