Position Wanted PGY1 position, homeless

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesse17

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am currently homeless and seeking a PGY1 position. Thank you in advance for your assistance.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
That blows. Think about moving to Missouri and work as an "assistant physician" or look for "house physician" jobs in NY, FL. Work as a medical assistant if those are not an option. If you have a significang amount of free time and want to defer loans, I'd also consider enrolling to get an EMT or LPN certificate which will allow you to work in a healthcare environment.

IMG, FMG, USMD, DO? Citizenship status? Step scores? Red flags? While I cannot help you find a position, the people here that can would be best able to do so with this information.

Members don't see this ad :)
IMG, FMG, USMD, DO? Citizenship status? Step scores? Red flags? While I cannot help you find a position, the people here that can would be best able to do so with this information.
USMD. US Citizenship, 220 step2

Unfortunately, the number of medical school graduates exceed the number of the residency slots.

Unfortunately, the number of medical school graduates exceed the number of the residency slots.

I'm sorry.
Make sure the little things are tweaked on your next app cycle( ps, good rec letter) , think back about your interviews( any problems, can you sell yourself well?) and maybe consider applying to more programs and more low-mid tier ones.

Don't give up now! You are almost there!

I didn't match this year, working as a scribe for the past couple weeks, my paycheck for 70 hours was $561.xx. I was making about 85k when I left finance 8 years ago. Rough patches are expected, but boy oh boy, it hurts.

I pulled out of the match for personal reasons after med school so had a 1 year gap. I had to work at Dunkin donuts for a bit before I found a lab job.

Granted I had some support such as room to live in at my parents.

I know it's easier said than done but things will be allright specially with your credentials. tougher the road sweeter the victory

I pulled out of the match for personal reasons after med school so had a 1 year gap. I had to work at Dunkin donuts for a bit before I found a lab job.

Granted I had some support such as room to live in at my parents.

I know it's easier said than done but things will be allright specially with your credentials. tougher the road sweeter the victory

I'm in a similar situation as you were in currently. Are you in residency now? Let me give you the story:

US citizen
IMG (SGU)
Step 1: 235
Step2: 229
CS: Pass on first time
Applied to ONLY internal medicine (applied broadly)
12 interviews total
Matched to #1 choice

I won't go into details but for personal reasons I couldn't start residency and had to get a waiver from the NRMP. Now I'm trying to find a lab job to fill in this year's gap before I either find a vacancy or apply during the next cycle. What do you think my chances are of matching AGAIN are given my credentials?

Pretty high.
I did not go through the match however. I did not even submit the list. I interviewed but decided to not rank the list so never matched the first year. However I do not think it will make a difference. Just be prepared to explain the gap if the question arises on the interview trail

Pretty high.
I did not go through the match however. I did not even submit the list. I interviewed but decided to not rank the list so never matched the first year. However I do not think it will make a difference. Just be prepared to explain the gap if the question arises on the interview trail

My one concern is that I'm technically considered a "re-applicant" even though I already matched last year. I know many reapplicants don't match continue to not match in consecutive years, but my situation is a little different.

Also, there's a chance they won't even ask about the gap year at all?

If you are doubtful about next year, you could speak to a recruiter. I normally don't recommend military to anyone who isn't really into it......but if you think you won't get a residency otherwise it might be worth considering.

I don't have a lot of advice about the mean time however....sorry

If you are doubtful about next year, you could speak to a recruiter. I normally don't recommend military to anyone who isn't really into it......but if you think you won't get a residency otherwise it might be worth considering.

I don't have a lot of advice about the mean time however....sorry

Military will not take anyone unless they are a US citizen and have completed a PGY 1 position and has an unrestricted medical license. At that they will only take you as a general medical officer (general practitioner). There are not enough military residencies for all the military medical students as is so little chance they are giving away a spot to a civilian.

Military will not take anyone unless they are a US citizen and have completed a PGY 1 position and has an unrestricted medical license. At that they will only take you as a general medical officer (general practitioner). There are not enough military residencies for all the military medical students as is so little chance they are giving away a spot to a civilian.
I thought op was a citizen and I was saying they would need to sign up....

You are right. A lot of places didn't ask me about the gap at all, I don't think they even knew or caught the gap. Some of the places were even the same places and program director I had interviewed the year before (JFK West Palm Beach).

I guess it is hard to give advice without knowing exactly why you took a year off, DID you get yourself into some legal trouble that anyone can see, vs health problems vs family issues? etc.

Anyways I am from SGU too and your scores are good so it shouldn't be a big deal re matching as long as there is no big blemishes on the record.

You can PM me if you like to discuss more private issues.

Difficult time but be persistent and one day you will get it.