Position Wanted PGY1 - Partially matched for Radiology 2017.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

J.J

2+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Desperately seeking to be taken in to any PGY1 position for the upcoming July 2016 cycle.

I have matched into my long and hard fought for dream residency in Radiology for 2017, but unfortunately did not get as much as a single interview for a prelim spot.

I am in IMG, which I understand makes my visa requirement less than ideal; but I believe having had a wide range of experience obtained working in a combination of 1st world/3rd world setting in South Africa, coupled with desirable work related attributes, a strong sense of teamwork, and high scores on the USMLEs would make me a great and memorable addition to any team for the year on my way to my chosen specialty.

Any help, advice or consideration would be greatly appreciated, as letting this fantastic opportunity go begging due to this would be extremely tough to take.

Members don't see this ad.

Desperately seeking to be taken in to any PGY1 position for the upcoming July 2016 cycle.

I have matched into my long and hard fought for dream residency in Radiology for 2017, but unfortunately did not get as much as a single interview for a prelim spot.

I am in IMG, which I understand makes my visa requirement less than ideal; but I believe having had a wide range of experience obtained working in a combination of 1st world/3rd world setting in South Africa, coupled with desirable work related attributes, a strong sense of teamwork, and high scores on the USMLEs would make me a great and memorable addition to any team for the year on my way to my chosen specialty.

Any help, advice or consideration would be greatly appreciated, as letting this fantastic opportunity go begging due to this would be extremely tough to take.
did you talk to the program that you matched? maybe they can help set something up with the IM or Surg program at their hospital..many times there are designated spots for radiology in the IM program

How broadly have you applied for prelim surgery? I'd really start making some calls to the most backwoods, malignant places you can find in prelim surg and pray someone takes you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
there are 2 new surgical programs mountainview hospital and south nassau hospital taking pgy1

@rokshana My program have been great and they're doing what they can from their side. It's a small program so options are few I imagine.. That would be the most humane outcome though.

@Mad Jack That was the first thing I did.. Responses have ranged between nothing, to we're full and good luck, to we're full but we'll keep your file on hand should something change and good luck. (Thereafter IM and TY programs everywhere)

@mak8787 Thanks, I have looked into those two - The Mountainview program ended up stipulating US citizen/permanent residents only unfortunately.

Update: I've managed to secure a spot! Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.. The relief if real.

Reactions: 3 users
Update: I've managed to secure a spot! Many thanks for taking the time to reply to my post.. The relief if real.

Hi J.J.
I'm also an IMG from SA- any way we could get in contact?

Hi JJ, how were you finally able to secure a spot?? Give us some guidance please!