PGY-2 Spots at JHU, Dartmouth, Other places?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

jhupsych2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know about "standing" PGY-2 spots at Johns Hopkins?

I've matched into psych somewhere else, and my wife (an MS3) is just now thinking of residency in Baltimore for family/career reasons. I heard a rumor that JHU has several PGY-2 vacanies every year open to transfers and I'd be interested in hearing if that rumor was true or not.

I've also hear that Dartmouth regularly accepts PGY-2's and any clarification there would be great.

Thanks!

Mike

Members don't see this ad.

I know Dartmouth takes 2 or so PGY-2's almost every year. These people are usually transfers from other good psych programs (Longwood/Brown, etc) or from another field (good medicine or good surgery program).

Can't tell you about JHU.

Good Luck!

University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt also accepts several PGY-2 transfers for their psychiatry program each year if you are looking at going to Baltimore.

Members don't see this ad :)
University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt also accepts several PGY-2 transfers for their psychiatry program each year if you are looking at going to Baltimore.

Awesome! Is this just part of the standard program structure (they do it every/most years)?

I think that I saw a residentswap posting for a PGY-1 spot at University of Maryland/Sheppard Pratt for 2009.

Thanks for all the help!

Does anyone know who usually fills the "standing" PGY-2 spots at JHU and UM? Are they transfers from other psych programs or IM, etc?

PM me if you'd prefer.

At some programs, these PGY-2 entry slots are reserved for people who plan before the match to do their intern year elsewhere and then switch.

There are actually 3 new PGY2s going to Dartmouth this year. There were 2 last year.

Thanks for all the help!

Does anyone know who usually fills the "standing" PGY-2 spots at JHU and UM? Are they transfers from other psych programs or IM, etc?

PM me if you'd prefer.

There are a fair number who transfer into Univ of MD "off cycle," ie in the middle of the PGY-1 or beginning of PGY-2 year for all the typical reasons: realizing their matched specialty isn't what they wanted, needing to switch locations due to spouse's work/family etc. The program routinely expands each class size by PGY-2 to cover all the clinical sites. The people who fill the spots are frequently individuals from other programs, either psych or otherwise (transfers from transitional years, anesthesiology, surgery, IM have come through in recent years). A few "off cycle" individuals were also attendings in other specialties and decided upon career switches.