PG year of research?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

locols

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I realize that a year of research would be more desirable between 3 and 4th year, but if one were to realize that they wanted to be a dermatologist "late in the game", so to speak, would taking a year off after graduating to do derm research be such a bad idea? Could it hurt you? How readily available are said Derm PGY1 research positions, does anyone have any experience with them? Any input or feedback would be appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty sure it is always better to apply as a medical student. If you are a 4th yr, just defer your graduation. I know some people who did this and did research as "4th yr" med student.

I'm pretty sure it is always better to apply as a medical student. If you are a 4th yr, just defer your graduation. I know some people who did this and did research as "4th yr" med student.

I agree with this. I was told by my mentor to do this if I didn't match the first time around and because most of the research for those who have already graduated is clinical and requires an internship/license.

Members don't see this ad :)
I agree with this. I was told by my mentor to do this if I didn't match the first time around and because most of the research for those who have already graduated is clinical and requires an internship/license.

Couldn't you do a year of research after your internship year and then reapply?

Couldn't you do a year of research after your internship year and then reapply?

Yeah you could always do that. But I was told that your best chance to match was as med student, when you took the year off to do research didn't really matter. Also if you did internship then research that'd be 2 years before reapplying. I was thinking of this if I didn't match the second time around as a med student. I was also told not to reapply as an intern because not much would have changed if you didn't match as med student. But if you check out the derm board there appears to be quit a few stores of people matching reapplying during internship. I actually had a friend who didn't match did her internship and a spot opened up while she was an intern and she got it without going threw the match. So I guess one would have to consider all these options and figure out what would be best for them.

Yeah you could always do that. But I was told that your best chance to match was as med student, when you took the year off to do research didn't really matter. Also if you did internship then research that'd be 2 years before reapplying. I was thinking of this if I didn't match the second time around as a med student. I was also told not to reapply as an intern because not much would have changed if you didn't match as med student. But if you check out the derm board there appears to be quit a few stores of people matching reapplying during internship. I actually had a friend who didn't match did her internship and a spot opened up while she was an intern and she got it without going threw the match. So I guess one would have to consider all these options and figure out what would be best for them.

Does it matter if you've already been rejected?

Even if rejected, you would recommend taking a year off and deferring graduation?

As opposed to completing an internship year and then taking the year off for research?

A year of productive indentured servitude is always a good thing no matter when it's done...in the end, it will have been worth the derm spot.

Does it matter if you've already been rejected?

Even if rejected, you would recommend taking a year off and deferring graduation?

As opposed to completing an internship year and then taking the year off for research?
Not quite sure what you mean by already been rejected. Do you mean applied and got not interviews. If this is the case research can help, pretty much doing a year of research can always help if you get published.

Yes I'd choose to defer graduation, do research then reapply as a forth/5th year, over doing internship, then research and reapplying. That's just me though, I don't think I could've waited 2 years to reapply. I would've done it if the defering graduation route didn't work. I actually know some people who have done 2 research fellowships after internship and eventually got in (that's like 4 years of research). Others who have done path, then dermpath, then got into derm. One of these guys said to me "if you want it bad enough and can't see yourself doing anything else, work hard and someone will notice."

A year of productive indentured servitude is always a good thing no matter when it's done...in the end, it will have been worth the derm spot.
Agreed