Petition for Remote Assessment through Prometric for cancelled USMLEs

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Charms128

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I am PGY3 resident who needs to take Step 3 both for graduation and licensing and like many of you my test was cancelled and I am having difficulty finding out if my retake test is still happening as well as even getting in touch with Prometric. I saw on Prometric's website that they have a remote assessment tool called ProProctor which would solve a lot of this testing back log we are experiencing. I think if enough of us petition USMLE to consider this remote assessment they might let us schedule our USMLE exams this way so there isn't further delay in testing. I just wanted to put it out there for everyone to consider as they navigate this whole mess.

Members don't see this ad.

Perhaps I'm missing something - most people take Step 3 near the end of PGY-1.

There is talk about medical schools proctoring the tests in small groups, or even secure home testing (it's a thing for other exams, though the measures taken to prevent cheating are annoying at best). Not at all likely this will be resolved by June 30.

Probably more useful to monitor www.usmle.org for updates re policy.