Perspectives from a prior podiatry matriculation crash

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

heybrother

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Article attached is from 2001. I've mentioned this article before but I think its a fascinating read - obviously there are give-aways in the article that its very old. I found myself wondering if I had removed them would people people have known when this was written. How much do you see of "now" in this old article. Does it surprise anyone that podiatry has crashed in the past?

Anyway, its 22 years later. Has anything really changed :)?

***Edit: For completeness - unfortunately we cannot include text from other sources as it is copyright infringement and as such it had to be removed by the moderators. However, as long as the link remains functional I believe the above remains coherent ie. sometimes when content is removed the post becomes non-sensical.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Cool article, I wonder when we will see the numbers for this application cycle. According to aacpm last year had 700 applicants and the title of the article still says “1000 applicant per year”

Reactions: 1 user
AI is going to change things dramatically for the economy. We will survive that much better than others I feel. In 10 years the world will be entirely different. Except for podiatry associate jobs. They’ll still be at $80k salary

• Haha
Members don't see this ad :)
I did not major in econ in undergrad, but I know enough.

All of those tuition figures are less than half what they are today (plus compound interest!), and the incomes haven't changed too much.

Reactions: 2 users
Financially, not many people are aware that during the past 10 years, podiatrists earnings were equal to heart surgeons."

And now those same greedy TFPs have diluted this crappy profession with such intense over saturation that many new podiatrists earnings are equal to a nurse.

I sometimes wonder what it was like for the last generation of phrenologists, discovering only too late that their career was a scam