Personal Statments//Letters of Rec

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

audgradbound

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was doing SO well earlier this fall at researching AuD programs and starting early on this application process and now, I feel like I'm stuck!

Have you guys written your personal statements and taken care of your letters of recommendation? I'm starting to feel the anxiety of applying and yet I'm still putting it off. I need something to kick me in the butt and get me going on it again!

Soooo where is everyone in this process?

Members don't see this ad.

I'm pretty much done with all of that, resume, letters, personal statement... but I'm applying to UT Austin and their deadline is in December. I just have to change me P/S a little for each school I am applying to.

Haven't even started :( I feel like I have an overwhelming schedule and don't have time to get everything together. But once this semester is over, I will have everything done in a week-minus letters of rec. A week is the amount of time I'm giving myself to deal with transcripts, letter of intent, schedule GRE appointment, etc. I hope I can swing it.

I'm worried about GREs mostly.

Members don't see this ad :)
Haven't even started :( I feel like I have an overwhelming schedule and don't have time to get everything together. But once this semester is over, I will have everything done in a week-minus letters of rec. A week is the amount of time I'm giving myself to deal with transcripts, letter of intent, schedule GRE appointment, etc. I hope I can swing it.

I'm worried about GREs mostly.

I'm pretty much done with all of that, resume, letters, personal statement... but I'm applying to UT Austin and their deadline is in December. I just have to change me P/S a little for each school I am applying to.

I am in the middle of gathering my application materials as well. I visited a school and have looked into many and they say you should have the materials out no later than thanksgiving, even though the deadline isnt past. I asked for my letters of rec almost 2 months ago. My professors are busy with clinic and classes right now, and since I asked earlier they were willing to write 6 letters for my schools. I would really suggest getting on your letters asap. Your personal statement should be written as well, it should be editied by as many people as it can and should be ready to go with your materials. It has taken me a long time to write mine, go over revisions and I still am not done with it. I suggest taking the time to work on this when you get any moment in the day. I requested my transcripts a month ago, and they were finally ready yesterday. I would request them earlier and give the school longer than a week to get them to you/graduate school. I know my school takes a longer time than most, so thats my reason. I also took my GRE twice already and the schools have received my scores. I would allow sufficient time for that as well. I would take it on a Saturday, possibly. They are usually booked about a month out (in my state anyways), so thats a rough timeline.

I would highly suggest giving yourself more time than 1 week to prepare (letter of intent, transcripts, letters of rec & the GRE). It is overwhelming to think about it, take the time to plan out what you need to do. have a checklist for every school with the application requirements, and check the list off as you go. Every school asks for different things, some ask for just a specific resume (no PS), some ask you to answer questions they have in your personal statement, some want you to include any other materials you think would help, and others have GA applications that are due at the same time.

I really hopes this helps!!

What schools are you applying to?? --everyone.??

message me if you have questions

I think your letters and GRE are most important to get done ASAP. If you want your ppl to write you good letters ask them way in advance, that way they have time and you look responsible and organized - remember you want to impress them! I think you should take your GRE at least a month before deadlines because it does take them a while to get the scores out, most of the applications are due at the latest in February. You may think a week will be plenty of time, and maybe it will be for you, but I would suggest at least registering for the GRE, talking to your letter people, and figuring out what each of your schools require within the next few weeks.

Hope this helps!

Thanks for the advice and info! You pulled me out of my denial, that's for sure.

I was planning on taking a course or getting a tutor for my personal statement (prob sounds lame). But I think it may speed up the process a bit, don't you think?

I didn't know the GREs get booked that quickly. Thanks for letting me know.

Also, I'm really hoping you are referring to deadlines that are in December to get everything done by thanksgiving. All my deadlines are in February, but some of the applications are due in mid-January.

I'm appying to Montclair, Maryland College-Park, UPitt, Syracuse, Arizona(both schools) , UConn, NovaSoutheastern, Florida(both), Ohio(2 of them), Idaho, a couple in Michigan.

I'm applying to a lot of schools because I'm really nervous about my low 3.2 GPA. I am take prereq Aud courses right now and will have a high GPA, but who knows if that will override the ugly 3.2. My schedule is packed now with volunteer work too-audiology clinic, tutoring kids, conferences. I hope it will be enough to embellish it.

There are only a few on that list I really want to attend. I'm definitely freaking out. I don't want to wait another year to apply, so I hope someone will like me.

Where are you all applying to???

Thanks for the advice and info! You pulled me out of my denial, that's for sure.

I was planning on taking a course or getting a tutor for my personal statement (prob sounds lame). But I think it may speed up the process a bit, don't you think?

I didn't know the GREs get booked that quickly. Thanks for letting me know.

Also, I'm really hoping you are referring to deadlines that are in December to get everything done by thanksgiving. All my deadlines are in February, but some of the applications are due in mid-January.

I'm appying to Montclair, Maryland College-Park, UPitt, Syracuse, Arizona(both schools) , UConn, NovaSoutheastern, Florida(both), Ohio(2 of them), Idaho, a couple in Michigan.

I'm applying to a lot of schools because I'm really nervous about my low 3.2 GPA. I am take prereq Aud courses right now and will have a high GPA, but who knows if that will override the ugly 3.2. My schedule is packed now with volunteer work too-audiology clinic, tutoring kids, conferences. I hope it will be enough to embellish it.

There are only a few on that list I really want to attend. I'm definitely freaking out. I don't want to wait another year to apply, so I hope someone will like me.

Where are you all applying to???

Wow you are applying to a lot of schools! Damn, well I wish you the best of luck. I am applying to Washington University, University of Minnesota, University of Northern Colorado, University of Nebraska-Lincoln, and AT Still in AZ. The application deadlines are in Jan/Feb, and yes they said by Thanksgiving to allow sufficient time for processing and any problems that may occur (allowing time to fix them). School also suggested making copies for yourself just in case the materials were lost (hopefully not!). Well your GPA isnt bad, you dont have much to worry about. I would highly suggest signing up the GRE asap and asking the people who are going to write your letters!

Hope this helps!
-best of luck!

Wow, you guys are on the ball!!

It feels good to know that I'm not too far behind!

So far, I'm applying to University of Washington, San Diego State University, Idaho State University, and Louisiana State University.

I know who I want to ask to write me letters, I just need to get that personal statement done!!! I'm starting tonight.. thanks for all of your advice!

Is anyone going to the ASHA convention in New Orleans this weekend?!

Wow, you guys are on the ball!!

It feels good to know that I'm not too far behind!

So far, I'm applying to University of Washington, San Diego State University, Idaho State University, and Louisiana State University.

I know who I want to ask to write me letters, I just need to get that personal statement done!!! I'm starting tonight.. thanks for all of your advice!

Is anyone going to the ASHA convention in New Orleans this weekend?!

No but I want to go to AAA in April... is anyone going to that!?! Do you think it is beneficial for someone with a little education in audiology (not started grad school yet)??

I made an appointment with a personal statement tutor for January 8. Reason being, I don't have a lot of volunteer work under my belt and dropped out of school several times in my early 20s so I need as much help as I can get to embellish my app. Has anyone heard of a statement of purpose tutor from princeton review? Will I just be blowing my money? Thanks! :shrug:

I made an appointment with a personal statement tutor for January 8. Reason being, I don't have a lot of volunteer work under my belt and dropped out of school several times in my early 20s so I need as much help as I can get to embellish my app. Has anyone heard of a statement of purpose tutor from princeton review? Will I just be blowing my money? Thanks! :shrug:

I have not heard anything about them, so I would not be your best resource on that topic. Although, I found some really great website for a direction in the letter of intent.
http://owl.english.purdue.edu/owl/resource/642/01/

Hope this helps!! :)

Thanks so much! It definitely helps! I forgot about this site. I used to use it for all my papers at school a few years ago (for citations and references). :nod:

I was wondering if all of you used the transcript request forms your schools provided for you? Does it matter? I can order transcripts online from a couple of schools and the transcript request form would just be an inconvenience for them. Thanks in advance. (If you're thinking I will never make it-I will-b/c I'm paying for express mail).

Members don't see this ad :)
I was wondering if all of you used the transcript request forms your schools provided for you? Does it matter? I can order transcripts online from a couple of schools and the transcript request form would just be an inconvenience for them. Thanks in advance. (If you're thinking I will never make it-I will-b/c I'm paying for express mail).

I used the online forms then faxed it to the school (undergrad) and had them send it out for me or I picked it up to include with my application.

Hope this helps!!

Most of the schools I am applying to will NOT accept the transcript (even if not opened) if it's not sent directly from the school.

Most of the schools I am applying to will NOT accept the transcript (even if not opened) if it's not sent directly from the school.

Really- so far there has been no problem. Even with my "missing" materials they havent stated anything of that nature! Hope all goes well!

Thanks

Then maybe I should do it that way. It would be much easier. I shouldn't have filled out 45 forms today, what a waste of time.

That's not necessarily true. The schools that want them sent directly will request it. During the application process I sent EVERYTHING in one envelope 1st class, certified mail, signature required. I didn't want anything to get "lost" in limbo.

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing prior to the many requests for the transcripts to be sent directly to them. At least 6 of the schools want them directly sent. Then there are 3 schools requesting the student to send the transcript with all other app materials. Instead of emailing, I'll just give them all a call tomorrow to make sure. Thanks!!!

Getting the letters of rec was such a headache! One of my teachers sent the letter the day after I asked her, but the other 2 teachers took 2 months to get theirs in! Make sure you ask as soon as possible and make it clear to them when the letter has to be in. Once the letters are in, it's such a relief!!

The personal statements aren't too hard. You can write them in one day. Ask some family members to help you write them and review them. You'll feel so good once you get it all done!

I completely agree about the letters of rec being a complete pain in the butt. I got only half my letters in from my teacher (he didn't want to send them to the school) and I was wondering what happened to the other half. I'm waiting for his response.

audiology, you shouldn't just wait for a response. Be aggressive about it and contact him as many times as you need for him to get it done. Don't worry about being annoying - it's more important that you complete your application!

I waited, and waited, and waited, then after 2 months the letters had not been sent, so i had to hound my teachers. it would have been better just to keep contacting them in the beginning rather than wait 2 months.

I don't want to be too annoying--yet. I basically nudged him a little this morning. But when the deadline nears and he doesn't get on the ball, I'll be breathing down the poor guy's neck. These professors signed up for this so they really shouldn't be lagging or writing a half-baked pile of crap. Especially because I was a good student and a really helpful volunteer. I should go before I start to vent.

I don't want to be too annoying--yet. I basically nudged him a little this morning. But when the deadline nears and he doesn't get on the ball, I'll be breathing down the poor guy's neck. These professors signed up for this so they really shouldn't be lagging or writing a half-baked pile of crap. Especially because I was a good student and a really helpful volunteer. I should go before I start to vent.

I know a lot of students in my program (mainly speech path) who are/were asking for letters of rec from professors. A lot of them said no or yes to only 2 letters (2 schools!!) because they are busy during the school year with clinic and classes. I was so amazed when I heard that... :( its really sad. I asked my professors in the summer so I know they werent too busy. All of the deadlines were attached to each school's form, so they were aware of the deadlines. So far the letters have been received. One school did not receive the letter and asked my professor to email the recommendation instead. I would, personally, just send a follow up email reminding them of the deadlines. Thank them once again for taking the time and effort to do this for you.

Hope this helps!!

So do you think I could have all my transcripts sent to me (addressed to me) and then I would send them to all--unopened--to my schools? Sorry if this is a dumb question

So do you think I could have all my transcripts sent to me (addressed to me) and then I would send them to all--unopened--to my schools? Sorry if this is a dumb question

Thats what I did to include them in the "package" I sent to the school. Others I had them sent directly to the school.

Hope this helps!

Hey Eardocsavvy. Thanks so much for your help, really appreciate it:)

Audiology, yes that is exactly what you will do. Most likely, they will send you the transcript/s in an envelope contained within a bigger envelope - that is, the transcript will look just like it would as if they sent it directly to the desired school - it will not have any markings on the outside.

some schools put a stamp saying "official transcript" or something to that effect

Thanks guys. I know it's stamped with the "official transcript", I was more confused about them being addressed to me. But I won't worry about it anymore. I just can't wait until this is all over and done with. I am so sick to death of dreaming and also having nightmares every night about exams, and getting in. It's 3:45 am and I'm up because I didn't want to dream about school anymore. Being on here, guess I like obsessing in real life about it.