Personal Statement

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cawbar123

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have comments on how long your personal statement should be? For applications like Emory and UPITT there are no defined word limits. Any comments would be most helpful!! :)

Members don't see this ad.

cawbar123 said:
Does anyone have comments on how long your personal statement should be? For applications like Emory and UPITT there are no defined word limits. Any comments would be most helpful!! :)
my statement was 1 page long in 12 point font. i tried to keep it as similar as i could for all the places i applied to. i only changed the "why XYZ school" bit, and that wasn't a major part of my statement anyway..

i like to keep things like a PS as short and professional as possible. i feel it should not only convey your sincerity and background leading to why the field and school, you should come off as professional while doing it. a person of science, your thoughts should be logical, coherent and consice. i hate the "my story", long winded, emotional approach. also, some BS programs like to hear from its applicants should be included without any guilt. its only fair that if they have a stereotype in mind, you should pretend you confirm.

but this is my opinion. i am sure others will differ. Good Luck!