Status
Not open for further replies.

GoSpursGo

SDN Chief Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a bit confused about the work-activities section versus the personal statement in regards to research. To preface, I'm an invested research applicant with multiple conference presentations, a first-author review article and a first-author methods paper publication. However, my motivations for becoming a doctor aren't so much related to my specific research (besides the fact that I enjoy the analytical challenge of research and engaging in science, which medicine also involves) - I was more so doing research to try to become a physician in the first place.

If my personal statement does not discuss my research interests as part of my motivation beyond a passion for analytical thinking then does that raise questions? To what extent do I have to tie in my research with my (stated) motivation for becoming a physician? Because if I'm being genuine, my clinical experience of interacting with patients and enjoying stepping into each of their lives and stories is much more my motivation to be a doctor versus my basic science research just being a means to get there.

Thanks for your help.

You're over-analyzing this. Honestly, most pre-meds have an out-sized idea of how important the personal statement is because of how "personal" and awkward it is to write. 10% of the time it might be truly terrible and get the app relegated to the reject pile; 5% of the time it might be so thoughtful and well-written that it convinces a reviewer to move it from the "on hold" to interview pile. The other 85% are "fine" and probably don't move the needle much in either direction, and will me more used as a jumping off point for interviews if you get them.

So to answer your question--nobody is going to wonder why you didn't write about your research experiences in your personal statement, largely because nobody is going to think about it that hard but also because the personal statement is a place for you to write what is important to you. Your research background will be readily apparent from the rest of your app.

Just don't go out of your way to say your research was a means to an end ;)

Members don't see this ad.

Agree with the above. Just write your statement and don't make it weird and get in the rejected pile. No one is going to dive into your application so far that they are having the questions you raise above.

Status
Not open for further replies.