Personal Statement - should I say this or not?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moose786

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey guys. I was wondering if it would be acceptable to mention how I initially wasn't crazy about dentistry (reason being that I knew I wanted to be a doctor, but definitely not medical doctor), and I had chosen it because of similar reasons as mentioned. But then...certain events, shadowing, etc. changed that mentality and now I find myself to be a lot more passionate about it? Because it's true, but I'm not sure if I should mention the part about me having not been crazy about it when I first decided to do it as a career.

Members don't see this ad.

I mean, Michael Jordan's first love was baseball, not basketball, and he ended up doing alright. Everyone has a change of heart about themselves at some point in their lives. As long as you show the reader that you genuinely care about the field and are passionate about it, I don't see why not.

Reactions: 1 user
I'm sure tons of people start out like that... So make sure your "turning point" is really really really unique, enough to persuade them

Reactions: 1 users
I'm sure tons of people start out like that... So make sure your "turning point" is really really really unique, enough to persuade them

Agreed. I'm pretty sure this is a textbook template for personal statements.

Reactions: 1 user