Personal Statement Question

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SugarNaCl

Dental Student
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Would anyone think it wise to make mention of applying in a previous year to dental school in your personal statement to demonstrate improvement? Thanks so much.

Members don't see this ad.

SugarNaCl said:
Would anyone think it wise to make mention of applying in a previous year to dental school in your personal statement to demonstrate improvement? Thanks so much.

I am curious to the answer of this question myself. Anyone?

I wouldn't just because I wouldn't know how to somehow incorporate that without sounding like I'm trying really hard to incorporate it...

SugarNaCl said:

They will know anyway that you applied last year, in case you did. And at the same time, they will see what improvements you have. So, I personally would think that is just a waist of space on your Personal Statement to mention that. You can use those 4500 characters to describe things about you that they don’t know. :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For anyone that looks back to this...I just mean, that since I applied last, in 2004, I increased my DAT scores significantly...was bio 17, gchem 15, ochem 17, rc 16 qr 14 PAT 16 AA 16, Total Sci 16. More recently, I got bio 20, gchem 19, ochem 16, PAT 18, rc 21, qr 15 AA 18 Total Sci 18..., have 1.5 yrs of cancer research experience in a comprehensive cancer center (in addition to my masters research), finished my Masters program in biology and have been shadowing a dentist, so a lot has changed. Maybe good advice though...from everyone. Seems common consensus is don't put it in, at least not in that way...find another way to integrate it. Thanks :)