Personal Statement - OK to express wanting to return to home state?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted849476

Hi, I'm from a WWAMI state--in other words, no med schools here--and I was just wondering if it is OK in my personal statement to mention wanting to go back to my state in the long run?

Drafting my PS I make a point about wanting to help diverse communities other than my own early on in my career, but that I eventually see myself coming back to my hometown/region as what I'd do as a doc because not many others like it here:rolleyes:. I think UWSOM would like to hear that I want to do that because WWAMI was partly made for getting docs in the area I'm from (the state in general), but would that make me DoA for any other schools?

Am I thinking way too far into this? Should I not even mention my long term goals in my PS and instead restructure a good chunk of its skeleton, but then have to come in at a different angle?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

depending on the state you'll get preference at other schools as well. I know utah has seats reserved for certain wwami states. Oregon might as well.

Hi, I'm from a WWAMI state--in other words, no med schools here--and I was just wondering if it is OK in my personal statement to mention wanting to go back to my state in the long run?

Drafting my PS I make a point about wanting to help diverse communities other than my own early on in my career, but that I eventually see myself coming back to my hometown/region as what I'd do as a doc because not many others like it here:rolleyes:. I think UWSOM would like to hear that I want to do that because WWAMI was partly made for getting docs in the area I'm from (the state in general), but would that make me DoA for any other schools?

Am I thinking way too far into this? Should I not even mention my long term goals in my PS and instead restructure a good chunk of its skeleton, but then have to come in at a different angle?

Thanks!
This is secondary material, not PS material.

Reactions: 4 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Like what Mad Jack said, you don't want to pigeon hole your personal statement with that sort of stuff since you're sending it to all the schools. Your state preferences are better reserved for those secondary questions.

Reactions: 1 user
WWAMI is all considered instate at University of Washington!

Agree with the above peeps, this is fine for UW secondary and interview, not something to have in PS.

Reactions: 1 user
Maybe express an interest in rural medicine in your PS but don't be specific, It could add a bit of diversity to your app since many applicants don't have a desire to live in rural areas. just a thought

Reactions: 1 users