Personal statement editing in ERAS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

BigBangFan

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all! I have a question about how to enter the personal statement in ERAS. I have a Macbook Air, and I typed my statement in Microsoft Word, but when I try to copy-and-paste the statement from Word to a simple text editor (TextEdit), and then copy-and-paste the statement from TextEdit to ERAS, my 750-word statement looks like only half a page. But when I try to copy-and-paste directly from Word, it keeps deleting one or two of the paragraphs in the middle, which I find very odd. Even if I try to copy-and-paste one paragraph at a time from Word, ERAS changes the formatting of some of the sentences (eg, spaces between sentences get deleted).

Has anyone else run into this problem? Does anyone have advice about this?

Members don't see this ad.

Bumping this. I've been trying different browser options (Safari, Chrome, Firefox) and on all of them, my 750-word statement is only a little longer than half a page when I click the View/Print option under Actions. Has anyone else run into this problem? Any suggestions or advice?

You can't use fancy formatting in ERAS. It's just plain text. Just because it fills a page in Word doesn't mean it will do so in ERAS. But your PS doesn't need to fill the whole page, if it says what you want it to say.

Reactions: 1 user
Writing your PS (or copying and pasting into) Notebook can help avoid formatting errors.

But the general rule of thumb is 1 page in Word, not one page in ERAS.