This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

postponemastudentloan

Reaction score
Hi, I've decided I want to take a Kaplan class to help prepare for the MCAT. I've heard mixed reviews & most people say it depends on the instructor. I have a list of possible dates with different instructors and I just wanted to know if any of you have taken a class with one of these instructors, would you recommend them or advise me to not take their class?

The instructors names are: Nzinga Mack, Debbie Brown, Jennifer Kindy, Justine Harkness, and Brandon McKenzie.

Thanks in advance, I hope you all are staying safe!

Members don't see this ad.

I'll be honest as someone who took the Kaplan Prep Course before my first MCAT: Don't. You're better off studying material on your own that you are weak with rather than sitting through a 3 hour lecture about how not to get nervous during a test and material you already know.

Reactions: 1 users
Kaplan course is great, if you need to discpline your schedule and get used to the required 6 hours of studying a day. However, some of the sessions will feel like a waste of time, particularly the CARS sessions.

Most of the Kaplan tutors are great, and they tend to specialize. Debbie is the "mnemonic queen", Justine knows everything about virology and blood, and Brandon is a biology guy, he taught us about menstruation and meiosis. I had Debbie as my one on one tutor, so I am not sure what class she teaches in particular.

Reactions: 1 user
I took the Kaplan MCAT course around 2016 and then again in 2017. It was a complete waste of time and waste of money. I took it again, because they offered me a retake following my first MCAT. I ended up taking the MCAT twice and the score wasn't great.

The Kaplan courses provide some structure, but there are "skills" and "tips" that are pretty worthless and I'm sure you already are aware of.

I'm looking to study for the MCAT again, and I don't think I will be using Kaplan's stuff. Leaning more towards Examkrackers and the Princeton Review.

Maikel

Reactions: 1 user
I took the Kaplan MCAT course around 2016 and then again in 2017. It was a complete waste of time and waste of money. I took it again, because they offered me a retake following my first MCAT. I ended up taking the MCAT twice and the score wasn't great.

The Kaplan courses provide some structure, but there are "skills" and "tips" that are pretty worthless and I'm sure you already are aware of.

I'm looking to study for the MCAT again, and I don't think I will be using Kaplan's stuff. Leaning more towards Examkrackers and the Princeton Review.

Maikel
Hi! Thank you for your honesty & advice! I've already paid for the course & I'm hoping it will have some benefits but I've heard such mixed things :(. Good luck on the MCAT!! I'm sure you'll do great :)