Personal EMR?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Has anybody used any stand alone EMRs? You know when a friend or relative has some small issue you can fix by prescribing an XR or some test or a med or just with some advice. Most states require you to keep a medical record of the encounter. Would be neat to be able to have a very simple, HIPAA compliant place for a quick note. Have any of you come across a product like that?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
Gethealthie.com is free if you have 15 patients or something like that.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I dont Rx anything for anyone who isn't my wife or parents. Anything you do outside of your official duties at work isn't covered by your malpractice. There's been doctors who lost their life savings in malpractice suits by treating friends. The risk management monthly cme podcast (not sure if this still exists) scared the hell out of me by covering cases in the legal literature about this and ever since then, I don't prescribe anything to anyone who isn't someone I'm absolutely certain isn't going to bankrupt me.

One case I remember them discussing was two doc friends; one had gout and asked the other to Rx colchicine. He did. The guy had an anaphylactic reaction and died. The wife of the deceased sued him for malpractice and won, insurance didn't cover since it wasn't part of the docs routine duties at work, and the guy lost his life savings.

• Wow
Reactions: 3 users
I dont Rx anything for anyone who isn't my wife or parents. Anything you do outside of your official duties at work isn't covered by your malpractice. There's been doctors who lost their life savings in malpractice suits by treating friends. The risk management monthly cme podcast (not sure if this still exists) scared the hell out of me by covering cases in the legal literature about this and ever since then, I don't prescribe anything to anyone who isn't someone I'm absolutely certain isn't going to bankrupt me.

One case I remember them discussing was two doc friends; one had gout and asked the other to Rx colchicine. He did. The guy had an anaphylactic reaction and died. The wife of the deceased sued him for malpractice and won, insurance didn't cover since it wasn't part of the docs routine duties at work, and the guy lost his life savings.
I would definitely not prescribe for a spouse or parents...or anyone else, for that matter

This app/website allows you to prescribe meds and some labs through quest diagnostics.

I just write a quick note on paper, date it and file it. There's nothing that says your medical record for your kids ear antibiotics has to be in an EMR. You just have to have some record documented, per the medical boards.

Immediate family, Rx for very minor things, sure. Serious conditions or controlled substances - never.

Reactions: 4 users
I would definitely not prescribe for a spouse or parents...or anyone else, for that matter
Doubt anyone is coming after you for non narcotic prescribing. If my mom has a UTI on vacation, I'm not gonna let her get septic.

I can't speak for all of us, but as a PCP if I have doctor patients (and their families) I'll do a good bit of weekend/after hours stuff for them if they ask. We can't do true professional courtesy anymore so this is the next best thing.

This app/website allows you to prescribe meds and some labs through quest diagnostics.

Have you used this?

I’m legit looking to get into concierge medicine and this seems to be a one stop shop

Have you used this?

I’m legit looking to get into concierge medicine and this seems to be a one stop shop
Yes, I've used it. But I only used the free plan. There is a subscription plan which also provides malpractice insurance last I checked. I have written prescriptions and ordered labs for family/friends but nothing above or beyond that. One downside/inconvenience is the patient needs to register with pushhealth in order to accept prescriptions and lab orders. Maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal for others. Also, the prescriptions get routed electronically but only to pharmacies that pushhealth associates with. Overall, it's fairly user friendly IMO. I do wish they could allow for radiology orders on top of labs/rx.

Yes, I've used it. But I only used the free plan. There is a subscription plan which also provides malpractice insurance last I checked. I have written prescriptions and ordered labs for family/friends but nothing above or beyond that. One downside/inconvenience is the patient needs to register with pushhealth in order to accept prescriptions and lab orders. Maybe it wouldn't be such a big deal for others. Also, the prescriptions get routed electronically but only to pharmacies that pushhealth associates with. Overall, it's fairly user friendly IMO. I do wish they could allow for radiology orders on top of labs/rx.

Do you have to send prescriptions through their system?

Or if you have a pharmacy that you’ve set up a business relationship with, if you could just use that?

Wait what wat...You mean y'all aren't writing norcos and xanax bars for your friends?

(For the literal people...I'm joking)

If it’s just for writing and maintaining notes, you could try a paid Google account, then it would be HIPAA-compliant. That way you could access it anywhere, even dictate with your phone. Plus for Google servers to go down it would probably require a global catastrophe.

Do you have to send prescriptions through their system?

Or if you have a pharmacy that you’ve set up a business relationship with, if you could just use that?
Yes, you kinda have to use the app to send an rx. You send the patient an electronic notification through the app. This lets the patient know that a prescription has been written for them. The patient then uses the app to select which pharmacy they'd like to use. CVS, walmart are options but they can use other pharmacies as well. It's not as confusing as it sounds. It'll make more sense once you use it

I write for friends and extended family occasionally, but only after they have filled out intake forms actually making them a patient of mine. It's not much, just your basic demographics, med history, and consents and it's done electronically. I tell them I can do it no problem, we just have to keep it on the up and up (the malpractice protection is something I keep to myself).

If I write for basic stuff (decadron, ear drops, etc) for my kids or spouse, I'm honestly not keeping notes, but if a state medical board ever asked about a prescription for ofloxacin drops on *** date for patient ***, I'm sure I could generate, er, find a post it note documenting the encounter. Yes, that was one sentence.