personal daily routine/schedule

damancandance

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
HI! i'm a kid just finishing gr 11 in high school and i have a BUNCH OF QUESTIONS. i'd be deeply grateful if anyone could answer or provide some insight on any of them.
1) What is your personal routine as a university student or when you were one? i mean like what time did you wake up, how much time did you spend studying or homeworking,when;d you wake up/skeep, did you ever set aside any time for...."play time"?

2) i'm in calgary and aiming for UofC so i guess i should go in for a BHSc (bachelor of health sciences i think) and then apply for med school. However, UofC says that they also look at your gr 11 marks for admittance into BHSc as it is an HONOURS program. i'm currently sitting at high 70s-low 80s % for marks right now, Am i screwed?

3) would you be able to provide me w/ a rough estimate of what the required average is for getting into BHSc at UofC?

i'm trying my best to change my study habits and to alienate my friends as much as i can right now :D , if you could answer any of those questions i'd deeply appreciate it!

Members don't see this ad.

Are you a Canadian, eh?

premed101.com is a good website. :)

And Calgary is too cold. :D

thanks! i'll check it out!
ya i'm canadiAN, we do say EH/AY but not so much the ["aboot" rather than "about " ]haha

Members don't see this ad :)
1) What is your personal routine as a university student or when you were one? i mean like what time did you wake up, how much time did you spend studying or homeworking,when;d you wake up/skeep, did you ever set aside any time for...."play time"?

Firstly, I think it all depends on the rigor of your class schedule and the college.

My schedule:
Usually wake up at 7am to start the day. Classes started at 8am for me (btw, professors hate it if you are late and sometimes won't let you into class... funny story on my part). Anyway, that would only take about 6 hours of the day or less. Then, you start studying. The time you study really depends on the class. This varies tremendously (psychology could be 20 minutes a day/ organic chemistry is an easy 4 hours a day). This also depends on your study skills and you will to study... Now, for partying, there is always time for that, right? Maybe not getting drunk before a test, but spending a good night with friends is sufficient enough to make up for all that studying.

i'm trying my best to change my study habits and to alienate my friends as much as i can right now :D , if you could answer any of those questions i'd deeply appreciate it!

Don't alienate your friends hun. You should just make it clear that you need to study to aquire the goals you have in mind. Though, I think you should use that opportunity to gain a balance with your work and your personal relationships especially when you start college. Just my opinion... :)

I usually wake up around 5ish, went running, ate breakfast, and read the news. My classes were usually in the morning with an occasional night class. I usually worked in the afternoon and on the weekends. Bedtime tended to be between midnight and 1am.

Studying time varied. Mostly I'd just cram in the week or on the weekend coming up to a test.

I allways set aside "play time" it's what keeps us sane:D.

:shrug: I just don't need lots of sleep. I go to bed and wake up roughly 5 hours later without an alarm clock. I do drink coffee like a fiend though, so maybe that's part of it.

I actually have a friend that doesn't think he needs sleep at all. He works then goes to school. He wasn't able to pull it off for long. Sad story... But, coffee does the trick. I think your sleep cycle is adequate for being a resident though. haha

I wish I could sleep four hours everyday and still function. I have to sleep at least eight or nine hours.

You actually have tons of time as a pre-med compared to a third year med-student. We have nothing to complain about.

Of course, the first semester is always tough because you have to get use to new study skills for more rigorous courses. But, after that, bring on the fun! Then again, it really depends on other stuff like your schedule.

I think a major priority for me. It is essential for a healthy mind. The only time I allow for sleep deprivation is during finals or no longer than two weeks at a time.

My college schedule looked something like this:

Wake up: 4:45ish
Crew: 5-7am
Class/Workshop: Interspersed between 9am and 4 or 5pm (downtime used mostly for lab time or club meetings)
Karate or TA recitation/office hours: 4-6pm
Theatre or Sorority Stuff: 6pm-11pm, occasionally later depending on the day
Unwinding/Mixers: 11pm - ???

There will be plenty of time in college for whatever it is you want to do.