permissionforsecondvisit

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

paceage

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
should i ask program director for his permission regarding second visit to the residency program

Members don't see this ad.

should i ask program director for his permission regarding second visit to the residency program

Depends on what your goals are.

If you actually want to go to some clinics or in the OR, yes, you need permission. If you want to actually meet with the PD, yes, I would recommend seeing when you can arrange a visit which fits his/her schedule.

If the goal is to express your continued interest in the program, you better contact them soon...ROL are due in 3 weeks and many programs have probably already finalized their ROL. If its to help YOU make up your mind, then you have a few weeks (until Feb 25), so still not much time.

If you just want to wander around the hospital and the town, you don't need permission.

isyourspacebarbroken?

It's hard to do that intentionally.

Most program directors have agreed to recommend against second visits. They don't do much more to add to your ranking than a thank you letter does and they can be terribly expensive. I'd just write a letter expressing your interest. Clinics are clinics; if you have been to the clinic at your home program, chances are you know how a surgery clinic works.

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks for the repy i am in the same place so it will not cost much
butyes i do think that this will be helpgul in expressing my continued interest in the program and thats the only way as i am having very few inv and i am aspiring for surgery

Not to hijack the thread, but I've been holding off on sending a "letter of intent" until I've completed my interviews. Unfortunately, I still have one left on February 7th and now I'm worried it won't matter much given the fact most programs have already finalized their ROLs. Anyone think it will still be worth it after this weekend?

Also, I've heard of several of my colleagues in other specialties receiving letters after the majority of their interviews. I've received two out of fifteen interviews, should I take this as a bad sign or are surgery programs just not as friendly as other residencies?

Last edited:
Not to hijack the thread, but I've been holding off on sending a "letter of intent" until I've completed my interviews. Unfortunately, I still have one left on February 7th and now I'm worried it won't matter much given the fact most programs have already finalized their ROLs. Anyone think it will still be worth it after this weekend?

It couldn't hurt as there are obviously programs still interviewing so not all programs have finalized their ROLs. But then again, these letters don't make a significant difference anyway. There is no reason why you need to send a "letter of intent" to your number 1 program as opposed to contacting say, your top 3, and saying how interested you are and how you can see yourself there, blah blah blah. This isn't a committed relationship; you can tell lots of programs you like them.

Also, I've heard of several of my colleagues in other specialties receiving letters after the majority of their interviews. I've received two out of fifteen interviews, should I take this as a bad sign or are surgery programs just not as friendly as other residencies?

Don't take it as anything. Surgery programs don't tend to be as mushy as FM or other programs. Some send letters, others do not. It means nothing.