Permanent address?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

pandh83

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
So my parents in process of selling their house in California where I have grown up, they will take like 3-4 months.

I however live in New Jersey for past year where I have done Clinical rotations and such. I will also be living here for whole match season

I am a US-IMG and was wondering would be okay to put my permanent address where I am currently living in NJ? If not, does geographic preference relate to my permanent address or my current address?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
So my parents in process of selling their house in California where I have grown up, they will take like 3-4 months.

I however live in New Jersey for past year where I have done Clinical rotations and such. I will also be living here for whole match season

I am a US-IMG and was wondering would be okay to put my permanent address where I am currently living in NJ? If not, does geographic preference relate to my permanent address or my current address?

It's fine to put your current address in both places, lots of people do. The permanent address in ERAS serves more of a post-Match purpose for me as I complete the required employment and credentialing paperwork). It's also a clue regarding whether a candidate has a tie to the area--which doesn't always come into play, but can tip the scales toward yes if there is a debate regarding whether or not to invite.

It's also a clue regarding whether a candidate has a tie to the area--which doesn't always come into play, but can tip the scales toward yes if there is a debate regarding whether or not to invite.

Thanks for the info. I did not realize the permanent address would be used for the credentialing paperwork and had almost used that as my mailing address where I possibly would not have access to in 7 months(Parents are not 100% set on selling).

Thats also the part I am worried about. I do want to match back in California and I know they give geographic preference as well. Is there a way to tell programs "hey I have ton of ties to California even though my permanent address's is currently not in the state".