Perks of being a Pathologist (YouTube vid)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

coroner

Peace Sells...but who's buying?
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Stumbled on this from a different thread. Very positive points by the creator. I'm sure the optimism may not be seen equally by all on here who are years out of training, but interesting nonetheless.

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 user
Very interesting. However I think the reality of the 85yo pathologist who wants to work until he dies at the scope is fast disappearing. I believe lots of the older guys that have made their nut are just are not going to put up with the garbage and steadily decreasing reimbursement that exists today. They will do exactly as I did and retire ( and handed Quest’s contract to their competitor on a silver platter with a smile on my face. At least Quest may have learned how to find a “drop dead “clause in a contract.)

The market “seems” to be opening up (but into a lower circle of Dante’s schematic).

Members don't see this ad :)
She seems totally sincere. Can't argue with anything here.

When I was a resident, we used to get a handful of rotating medical students in April each year. They had failed to match and were sent by their academic advisors to see if pathology would be compatible as this was the school’s recommended dumping ground for academic and social invalids. Most of course had no interest and wanted to take their chances with primary care or a research year.

One guy who weighed about 400 lbs and had failed to match anesthesiology really took an interest. When we asked why the 180 from an acute patient facing procedural field, his reply was “no intern year and you can eat snacks anytime at work.” i’m not sure these are the best reasons to go into pathology, but the signouts that month punctuated by potato chip crunching and muffled belches was worthwhile to me.

• Haha
Reactions: 4 users
Stumbled on this from a different thread. Very positive points by the creator. I'm sure the optimism may not be seen equally by all on here who are years out of training, but interesting nonetheless.
She lost my interest when she started talking about progress notes.

Last edited by a moderator:
This is more "why pathology residency" and not "why pathology the lifestyle" probably because this woman is a trainee herself.

To me this is worst possible angle to take because residency is 1/10 or less of a life as a pathologist.

Also a few of things are literally born out of the immaturity of this really young woman, "food and coffee" as a benefit? Seriously?

That is akin to me selling the Marine Corps to a 17 year old high school student because they have unlimited chocolate milk in the chow hall at 29 Palms. Ignore the fact that you will be fighting Taliban in the unforgiving desert with a good chance to die there and not even make the nightly news...
It completely undermines your authority to speak on the matter.

The literally only thing she says that is at all relevant (the comments on residency length are wrong, pathology is average length, not short, merely average) is the lack of midlevel encroachment.

I TRULY appreciate this young woman for trying even though this a miss for me because she does care. We need more people who actually care about pathology.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
"food and coffee" as a benefit? Seriously?
:lol:
The literally only thing she says that is at all relevant (the comments on residency length are wrong, pathology is average length, not short, merely average) is the lack of midlevel encroachment.
Agree 3 years would be short. 4 years is average. When factoring in, according to ASCP and CAP surveys: 90% of pathology residents do at least one fellowship, and 50% do two or more fellowships, you're looking at least at 5-6 years. It is by no means short.

Hi Everyone, I am the creator of this YouTube Channel. My goal was to promote Pathology and inspire med students to pursue a pathology residency. I would love to hear from more experienced pathologists what they think might help draw in more US MD/DO grads into pathology.

Is that a dumpster fire?

Is that a dumpster fire?

Pretty much a steam turd dumpster fire yes but as I said she is fighting the good fight in a sense, a losing fight, but still she is trying.

When I was a resident, we used to get a handful of rotating medical students in April each year. They had failed to match and were sent by their academic advisors to see if pathology would be compatible as this was the school’s recommended dumping ground for academic and social invalids. Most of course had no interest and wanted to take their chances with primary care or a research year.

One guy who weighed about 400 lbs and had failed to match anesthesiology really took an interest. When we asked why the 180 from an acute patient facing procedural field, his reply was “no intern year and you can eat snacks anytime at work.” i’m not sure these are the best reasons to go into pathology, but the signouts that month punctuated by potato chip crunching and muffled belches was worthwhile to me.

Sad this is the state of pathology. Truly unfortunate to see Path being the fallback option for those who fail to match.

Our loved ones biopsies are being diagnosed by people that get into Pathology because they couldn’t match into anything else or are social misfits so they have to find a field where they don’t have patient contact.

Can you imagine having your mom or dads biopsy diagnosed by some guy who became a pathologist because they could snack at work?

Seriously, we as a field need to do better for patients. Cut out the waste by closing all lower tier, smaller community hospital residency programs. Focus on training residents in large academic centers with EXPERTS so they get a good education/training in all areas of pathology AP AND CP.

I think some programs do a poor job of making sure grads come out as STRONG GENERAL pathologists but that’s my opinion based on my own observations.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Okay the alleged tale of a 400lb snacking pathology resident isnt fair...lots of doctors are fat now. We dont have the monopoly on ugly, fat, anti-social doctors anymore, times are a changing.

Of course the video by this young woman essentially emphasizing perma-snack time isnt helping at all.

If I ever ran a residency program it would be boot camp levels of mandatory workout and required 12 hr/day fasting all around tho. 3 mile run in under 20 min, 20 pull ups and 1 min minimum plank or you are basically bounced.

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

Here's the flipside of things, folks. 165K followers. 3.4M likes. Yeah, this is way better content than those 6 pattern lame-asses with their 40 subscribers and 800 views.

Here's the flipside of things, folks. 165K followers. 3.4M likes. Yeah, this is way better content than those 6 pattern lame-asses with their 40 subscribers and 800 views.

Good god, that was pure cringe.

• Haha
Reactions: 2 users
Tik Tok resident....Oh Deal Lord this profession is doomed. Well cheers. I will be drinking fine bourbons starting at 11am soon anyway. What program does this girl train at??

Good luck on paying back all those student loans.

• Haha
Tik Tok resident....Oh Deal Lord this profession is doomed. Well cheers. I will be drinking fine bourbons starting at 11am soon anyway. What program does this girl train at??

Good luck on paying back all those student loans.
Northwestern U-Chicago

Wow. Good luck getting a job.

Also, have I always been pronouncing "hierarchy" wrong?

I think she will have an immense hurdle joining a group, even a low key one. She is the antithesis of a team player and seems to be on some sort of bizarre feminist jihad against the hierarchy.....in Pathology?! Pathology, a field with more women and beta males than a Nick Jonas concert so Im very confused.

Maybe Ortho spine surgery or something her whole deal might have some legs, maybe......but in pathology her entire persona is laughable.

This is literally a SDN case for "what NOT to do to get a good job after training".

She is such a project Im not sure even I would dare tackle that. First I would have to show her how to pronounce the very word she claims to be battling against.....WTF seriously WTF its pronounced "HIGHER-archy"

Folks of SDN: Employers looks for reasons to NOT hire you, dont give them those reasons and you will be fine.

Last edited:

That Tiktoker is definitely annoying. I have seen her clips in youtube and never felt compelled to follow her. I only followed H & E life because she is the only pathologist youtuber that I know of and she is atleast tolerable.

Lol beta males at Nick jonas concerts. You forgot the beta males at Taylor Swift concerts as well. Lol

Last edited:
Wasn’t able to play it. But as LA mentioned the team player bit, if we ever got a whiff of that when hiring it was the kiss of death. Didn’t care anything about the CV after that.

She will land a good job for two simple reasons: 1. She has an extroverted personality (she is on TikTok after all) 2. She is above average in looks compared to the typical female path resident/physician. For every group that gets the impression she is not a team player, there will be others she will win over for the above reasons. Yes, your looks/physical appearance play a part in EVERYTHING in life whether it's auditioning for 'Dancing with the Stars', or interviewing for Derm residency (ever wonder why they have the hottest residents). Whether consciously or subconsciously, that is a component of how people form an impression of you, and has an effect on success in life, e.g. studies have shown taller males have better/more career opportunities and positions of leadership than shorter men. That doesn't mean ugly or short trolls can't succeed in life (I've seen many in our field who are great pathologists), but it definitely doesn't help. Plus, the typical nerdy Path group would see her as as "cool person" and be eager to hire her. Even if she is not the said, team player, she likely knows how to play the part during a half day interview to land the gig. I've seen it before in medical school/residency/work. Every person I've come across like this always matched into their specialty of choice, was favorably viewed upon by attendings, got good fellowships, and landed a good job. I don't see her winding up at a LabCorp slide mill or signing out solo Path in Texarkana, Arkansas. Unless she is totally incompetent and calling every colon polyp a tubular adenoma, I predict her career will face few to no struggles that so many of us whine about on here. But I agree, she was annoying to watch...:annoyed:

She will land a good job for two simple reasons: 1. She has an extroverted personality (she is on TikTok after all) 2. She is above average in looks compared to the typical female path resident/physician. For every group that gets the impression she is not a team player, there will be others she will win over for the above reasons. Yes, your looks/physical appearance play a part in EVERYTHING in life whether it's auditioning for 'Dancing with the Stars', or interviewing for Derm residency (ever wonder why they have the hottest residents). Whether consciously or subconsciously, that is a component of how people form an impression of you, and has an effect on success in life, e.g. studies have shown taller males have better/more career opportunities and positions of leadership than shorter men. That doesn't mean ugly or short trolls can't succeed in life (I've seen many in our field who are great pathologists), but it definitely doesn't help. Plus, the typical nerdy Path group would see her as as "cool person" and be eager to hire her. Even if she is not the said, team player, she likely knows how to play the part during a half day interview to land the gig. I've seen it before in medical school/residency/work. Every person I've come across like this always matched into their specialty of choice, was favorably viewed upon by attendings, got good fellowships, and landed a good job. I don't see her winding up at a LabCorp slide mill or signing out solo Path in Texarkana, Arkansas. Unless she is totally incompetent and calling every colon polyp a tubular adenoma, I predict her career will face few to no struggles that so many of us whine about on here. But I agree, she was annoying to watch...:annoyed:
Bro, Just because you on TikTok don’t exactly make you an extrovert lmao.

I have a friend who takes 1,000,001 selfies of herself and a bunch of Instagram stories. Definitely not an extrovert.

Last edited:
Ugly guys do better than good looking women in medicine. Too many negatives working against them-drama, pregnancy etc.

I’m in the “ugly, short troll “ camp and it didn’t slow me down.

This thread has fallen off the cliff lmao!!! Pregnancy, drama, short fat and ugly, tall and pretty…lol

Yikes. Did this response time travel from the 1950's?

Believe it or not, there are lots of employers who don’t like pregnancies today any more than they did in the 50’s.

Many of my staff and co residents were really fumed at a staff path we had in the Navy. Due to what amounted essentially to federal government policies, she was pretty much able to turn 4 years into a couple/few pregnancies and a boat load of maternity leave and we all did her work. ( and back then senior residents could and did the staff work. We did not have the residency nanny laws)
She may have put in 6 or 7 months of 1 FTE work. So yes, because of these kind of abuses, men in a position to hire understandably have this cross their mind. Who wants to be taken advantage of like that? As society liberalizes, this may become more of an overt open sore. Granted, it is a minority of women who are this selfish but bad apples, etc.

This thread has fallen off the cliff lmao!!! Pregnancy, drama, short fat and ugly, tall and pretty…lol
We do our best to go off topic here...lol
No, it is a major consideration in today's time. When you are in the real world, you will understand.

My Pathologist advisor from medical school once said, he thinks too many women choose Path so they can get pregnant i.e. lifestyle friendly to raise kids. Of the part-time, pre-retirement (< 65 y.o.) pathologists I have known, the majority are women.

Last edited:
Small companies/groups don't have to obey the same laws as big boy corps like LabCorp when it comes to maternity or paternity leave. They don't have to hold your job for you and wait for you to return.

Actually I dont disagree with this at all. In theory.

But landing an intro job in pathology and being financially successful in said field are so dramatically different it is akin to comparing making your high school basketball squad vs. playing for the Lakers.

I see her as a Kaiser Permenante doc somewhere for life. Solidly middle class, maybe paying off her student loans if she really cranks down in 5 years or so.

She wont be living paycheck to paycheck but she wont be shopping for vacation homes in Malibu either. She would do much better avoiding small groups and joining KPMG or a hospital foundation model. She needs lots and lots of buffers between her and the employer because her personality will grate on a small group over time enough they will just pump and dump.

My general thoughts on having seen folks like this in training is she will drift towards a part time gig, not really do much in medicine, get bored and move on anyway so this is more of thought exercise than actual advice.

we all know or knew someone who cranks/cranked out a kid every 18-24 mos. When you're a resident or partner in a small group it makes it excruciatingly hard to view that person in the same light with every pregnancy, and it breeds (no pun intended) resentment as the responsibilities of parenting said baseball / football team increase over time and requests for exceptions/help with service time increase, until the inevitable request for part-time work.

ironically there's a similar feeling of animosity towards DINK physicians, but it's at least in part based on jealousy/seething envy.

Reactions: 1 users
we all know or knew someone who cranks/cranked out a kid every 18-24 mos. When you're a resident or partner in a small group it makes it excruciatingly hard to view that person in the same light with every pregnancy, and it breeds (no pun intended) resentment as the responsibilities of parenting said baseball / football team increase over time and requests for exceptions/help with service time increase, until the inevitable request for part-time work.

ironically there's a similar feeling of animosity towards DINK physicians, but it's at least in part based on jealousy/seething envy.
You better explain what DINK means or you will be getting banned. LOL. I can hear Willem Dafoe saying that word right now in my head. Seen Platoon too many times.

You better explain what DINK means or you will be getting banned. LOL. I can hear Willem Dafoe saying that word right now in my head. Seen Platoon too many times.
Dual Income, No Kids.

What the ****

Someone unfamiliar with the acronym DINKs must not live where the cost of living is high...

• Haha