Perfect time for Marriage?

MedSchoolGF

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
My boyfriend is a 2nd year and we've been debating over when the best time to get married is. He feels that we should wait until the summer following 4th year, but I feel that our lives our going to be very hectic due to residency relocation and graduation. Can anybody who has experenced this offer me some advice. Also, when is a good time to start a family?

Members don't see this ad.

NEVER!

sorry couldn't help myself...

My boyfriend is a 2nd year and we've been debating over when the best time to get married is. He feels that we should wait until the summer following 4th year, but I feel that our lives our going to be very hectic due to residency relocation and graduation. Can anybody who has experenced this offer me some advice. Also, when is a good time to start a family?

My best friend is getting married in June after graduation from medical school. Her future husband is a physical therapist and plans to continue working. My friend is only applying to in-state residencies, however.

I am getting married around October after graduation, so that I have already finished moving to my residency location and have a little bit of residency income coming in to help out. We plan on having a baby after about a year of residency. My fiancee' is going to be a stay-at-home mom.

Members don't see this ad :)
There really is no Best time for anything when medical school is involved. My wife and I got married the day after her last final of her first semester in med school. This was after 3 straight weeks of tests. We were ~long distance (about two hours away), if you can call that long, and the wedding was taking place in the city I was living at the time so I had to pick her up, unpack my belongings in her apartment at the time, and drive her back to the city we were getting married in, all on her last day of testing. We chose that location for a couple reasons but one was so I could do all of the last minute, make sure everything is happening so we actually have a wedding, preparations so she could study and not worry about it. One thing we did, even with it being so hectic, was go to a spa and we got a couples massage so that she could relax and we could have some alone time the day before the wedding without the stress of school involved. We went on our honeymoon for a week, she had a week off after that and then started right into her second semester and I started my new job, I was hired a week before the wedding. I forgot to mention that the day before the wedding was also my college graduation day, which I skipped in order to make sure all the more important things were taken care of.

The bottom line is that life is hectic and there is really no perfect day for your wedding. Pick a day that gives you time to plan it, we did all the planning on our own and also paid for it ourselves which was difficult, both of us being in school at the time. So pick a day and get married. No matter what else is happening in the world or your life around that time it will still be a great day for you and your future husband.

We're getting married in March of 4th year. I'm just taking 2 weeks off to do it. No problem as I pretty much got to choose my schedule. We're not going on a honeymoon till after graduation though. But I know people who did in the summer between years 1 and 2, during winter break, right after step 1, during elective/vacation time 3rd year, lots of people doing it at random times 4th year, and about 5 people in my class are getting married the weekend after graduation.
I think that the main considerations are who the person doing most of the planning is, and if its convenient for them at one particular time. I'd just say make sure you have the day before and the day after off, and if possible, are not coming off a particularly difficult time.

There is a never a perfect time for anything. Some say 3rd and 4th yr. are perfect some say during residency is perfect for marriage. Do what you both feel is right. If he is not wanting to get married right now, don't push. He is probably under great stress and mentally is not willing or able to fathom the idea of marriage.

As for kids, they always come when you least expect it and usually at the worst possible time. The funny thing is, you adapt and you make it the best and most wonderful time in your life. As long as the baby is happy and hopefully healthy you can make it work, no matter how off the timing is, no matter how much debt, you will get through it and you will have the time of your life.

The perfect time to start a family? LOL You can start a family any time, but the toddler years are the hardest. The tiny baby is no problem. It's the todler who screams so loud that you don't notice the cop behind you and wonder why everyone is pulling off to the side of the road, or the toddler who
puts messy fingers on your new slacks as you think you look great for an interview.

Have the kids and buy an apron to wear until the youngest turns ten.

As for marriage-- get a JP. Contrary to what wedding mags say, it is NOT the biggest day of your life.

As for kids, they always come when you least expect it and usually at the worst possible time. The funny thing is, you adapt and you make it the best and most wonderful time in your life. As long as the baby is happy and hopefully healthy you can make it work, no matter how off the timing is, no matter how much debt, you will get through it and you will have the time of your life.

When you least expect it... just found out we are going to have our third child. My wife is in her final year of residency. She is due in April. This means that she will be pregnant during her interviews for attending. It also means that she will have to make up the lost time for when she is on leave. This will delay her being able to work. And she will not get paid for the time when she is on maternity leave... We are in for a rocky year...

When you least expect it... just found out we are going to have our third child. My wife is in her final year of residency. She is due in April. This means that she will be pregnant during her interviews for attending. It also means that she will have to make up the lost time for when she is on leave. This will delay her being able to work. And she will not get paid for the time when she is on maternity leave... We are in for a rocky year...

Your wife is a goddess and I have so much respect for her that I cannot stand myself.

I hope you give good back rubs. She'll need them!